Chronogrph

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HW11

Single-Sixer
Shooting Chrony F1 Master Chronograph

I want a chronograph and know nothing at all about them. I don't think I want anything fancy just something to tell me how fast I'm getting them out of the barrel.
What I posted up top is what I looked at on Midway's site. Seems simple enough.
Somebody give me some direction on this please.

okie44

Single-Sixer
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=211790
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=213165

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
When if I ever kill my F1 I'm getting the Master.
Shooting Chrony has been a good one.
And my brother in law has the Master, I do like it better.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Jimbo and I both own this one (something we agree on), good low price and it works fine with some available and useful options.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852429/competition-electronics-prochrono-digital-chronograph

I owned another (shared ownership) a much more expensive different brand chrono and it kinda melted during a terrible heat wave one summer in Chicago. It was a great thing with all kinds of built in feedback and a software program that was designed perfectly. It came with a great tripod and a well made carrying case. You could even save your results to a laptop, reset from the laptop and start new pages. When it worked, it worked great but I won't drop that kind of cash on a chrono again, ever.

Chief 101

Hunter
Do any of these come with a tripod? That can cost more than the chrono unit itself...If you need an adjustable mount it brings into play the more expensive and easy to use...
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/319211/magnetospeed-v2-ballistic-chronograph
just a thought

5of7

Hunter
By all means buy a Chronograph. Mine is one of the indispensable tools in my handloading/load development gear.

I am still using a Pact model 1, but any of those currently available are well worth the money spent... 8)

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
My Pact Pro is over 25 years old and working great. Look for a sale, buy the best you can afford but I would never spend over $200 for one.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Chief 101 said:
Do any of these come with a tripod? That can cost more than the chrono unit itself...

Here's my decade old Chrony atop a Sears Craftsman telescoping tripod. As I recall, it came with a camera mount that simply screws to the bottom of an F-1. The tripod cost $29 if memory serves..(I bought it years ago)

PS: Came with a stout canvas type case too...

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Great pic Dennis,,,,Little Dennis looks like he can handle the 45 blackhawk pretty well.
I like seeing pics like this.
Didn't you shoot that chrono a few years ago? :roll: :wink:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
SBH4628 said:
Great pic Dennis,,,,Little Dennis looks like he can handle the 45 blackhawk pretty well.
I like seeing pics like this.
Didn't you shoot that chrono a few years ago? :roll: :wink:

Yep, then 12 yr old "little" Conner (taller than me now) wasn't fazed much shooting Linebaugh .45... 8)

And no, I've never shot as much as a skyscreen on my old chrony. You're just tryin' to get me riled ain't ya old pal?!? :lol:

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Must be thinking of a diffrent post.
My bad :oops:
I knew you couldn't hit one anywho :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
"And no, I've never shot as much as a skyscreen on my old chrony. You're just tryin' to get me riled ain't ya old pal?!? :lol:"

My PACT Pro. has been hit on one of the defuser (sp) supports by a gas check from a .45 but only slightly dinged. Patrick Sweeney writes about shooting Crony`s in this months Guns and Ammo story "Chrono Assassin, He said he is a serial Chrono killer.

SargeMO

Single-Sixer
I've had a Beta Master for about 10 years now and it has been a good, reliable instrument. I'll second those who've described them as indispensable when working up handloads... don't know how I ever got along w/o one. My on;y complaint with the Chronys is that the instruction manual reads like Egyptian hieroglyphs, but you'll figure the machine out pretty quick.

Any old junk sale tripod will work; mine was about $30 from WakMart and has a hook at the bottom, from which I hang a short piece of RR iron if it's very windy. An old salt told me to use wooden or plastic dowels instead of the metal rods that come with the unit. If you clip one of those steel diffuser rods with a bullet, it will wreck the component it plugs in to.