Christmas in October

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Often, we as kids just knew what we were getting for Christmas. Especially when it was something we really wanted. But the wait,, the anticipation until THE day came around made for a sweeter time when it arrived & it was even better than expected.

Well, it was that way for me,, except it's October.

I ordered a RW grip frame & a pair of RW/ 2 Dogs sights a little while back.

Seeing the stuff in a few places,, and awaiting MY day of receiving the goodies,, allowed me to work on my patience. Luckily,, as a hunter,, patience for the truly good ones is easy. So it was like Christmas,, yet,, it's October,, and a sweet package arrived via the US Mail.

Now the real fun begins! The shooting,, the fitting, the grip making, the addition of the rear sight blade,, and all the while,, shooting to see what kinds of differences I see. As I progress through this,, I'll take pictures & share.
So,, here's my goodies!

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Every time I read a write up on a gripframe that's not an OEM part I think... "Should I?" and when I get to the part where I have to have Chigs make grips or make them myself it stops me in my tracks.

I admire shooters like you who will do it. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished!

contender

Ruger Guru
It's funny you mention not using OEM parts.

I'm a collector,, and I like to keep most of my Rugers "as shipped" & not modify them. And I personally don't do modifications to a gun that can't be reversed if the gun is the least bit collectable.
Such as the gun this g/f is going under. It's going under a .357 Maximum. David helped design the Ruger Maxi, and it think it's a fitting addition to the gun by using his grip design for it.

But when it comes to grips or fitting a part or whatever,, I've always considered myself a "tinkerer" and enjoy fixing or making stuff. Several years ago,, when a master craftsman was making STUNNING grips for Rugers,, I drooled with envy.
I had never attempted making grips,, but figured; "What the heck?" I am familiar with a bit of woodworking,, so I took the plunge. I got a piece of cedar,, (soft) and a piece of walnut,, (hard) to try my hands at it.
I made grips out of each type of wood to get a feel for how to work the wood & how to fit & finish them. I asked questions of the master craftsman, who was kind enough to share several tips.
My first ones have mistakes,, & aren't perfect by no means. But I learned. Now,, I know I can do the necessary stuff to turn out a fair set of grips. Thanks to the first master,, (caryc) and a later one,, (lscg) for being patient with a newbie,, and guiding me to where I feel confident working grips.

Metal work,, such as fitting a g/f is similar. You just have to be slow & careful,, keeping a single thought in mind; "Once you remove the metal,, you can't put it back." Follow that with good files and going slow,, and by all means,, do not use a Dremel tool! :D