CC without a holster?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
ILikeRugers2 said:
I put a KelTec pocket clip on my LCP, and carry it inside my waistband. It is invisible and comfortable.

I still won't carry ANY gun without a holster .... EVER. Never can tell when a string from your underwear might snag that trigger and blow a new hole in your rear ....

REV

toysoldier

Hunter
I have 3 ways of carrying my LCP:
1) home-made "wallet" holster in my back pocket.
2) IWB holster.
3) home-made leather "slipper" that covers muzzle and trigger, for pocket carry. It adds no bulk, but keeps things out of the muzzle and triggerguard.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
toysoldier said:
I have 3 ways of carrying my LCP:
1) home-made "wallet" holster in my back pocket.
2) IWB holster.
3) home-made leather "slipper" that covers muzzle and trigger, for pocket carry. It adds no bulk, but keeps things out of the muzzle and triggerguard.

I've seen several devices similar to the leather slipper, but made of kydex, with a loop of leather or twine or whatever to attach to your belt. Pull the piece out of your pocket and the string pulls the slipper off as you draw..... This kydex just covers the trigger to prevent NDs.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Most comments have been about pocket carry so that leads us to think of pants pocket.
But wait, there's more!
At one time (maybe they still do) Wrangler made a denim jack with inside pouches. I have 2 of those jackets and many is the time I've dropped Rosco into one of those pouches!

Elfego El Gato

Single-Sixer
If I'm not mistaken (and I don't think I am on this one), isn't the point of a pocket holster to keep your finger off the trigger, while drawing, until the gun clears your pocket? I beleive this is so that you don't accidentally put your finger on the trigger, have the gun get hung up on the top of the pocket as you're pulling it out, and you end up shooting yourself in the thigh?

And, the dust bunny thing, too, of course...

gunslinger_h

Blackhawk
My experience is that if the gun is hung up on the top of the pocket, your hand cannot reach the trigger. My lifetime practice is never to contact the trigger until the weapon is clear, whether from the holster or from the pocket. If you shoot yourself in the thigh, then your trigger discipline is lacking in my opinion, and that is how I train them. No trigger contact until the weapon is clear. This may be wrong to some, but has never proven wrong with me in actual practice and actual use. But everyone is different. Theory is great, but I wonder how many have actually pulled a handgun from a pocket in time of need and not been successful. I am not talking about possibilities, but actual occurrence. Mine has never failed me yet from the pocket or from the holster. Of course, I have always been lucky. I was just wondering how much of this is from actual experience and how much is from opinion. No offense intended of course, just curious. Hank

Elfego El Gato

Single-Sixer
Hank, there's an article in the "Reality Check" column of the May/June issue of American Handgunner that relates a couple of real-life stories of people shooting themselves as a result of carrying in a pocket without a holster. My comments were based primarily on the advice given by Mike Venturino, who (I think, if I remember correctly) wrote the article.

As to your comment about a person's hand being unable to reach the trigger if the gun gets hung up in a pocket, I have to respectfully disagree. If you put your hand in your pocket, grip your gun and place your finger on the trigger, and then begin to draw the pistol, it is perfectly possibly for the hammer (if exposed) or the back of the slide to get hung up in the top-front of a jeans-style pocket. This could easily lead to the gun stopping short, but your hand continuing to try to pull it out, which could just as easily end up with someone accidentally pulling the trigger and shooting themself in the leg.

I hope I described that clearly. If I was showing it to you, you'd see what I mean. But, we are limited to what we can type and describe here, so I hope I drew you a mental picture.

Loco Weed

Bearcat
I carried a P3AT in my pocket without a holster for several years. Three things happened. First, the pistol wore out the pockets of my pants and made holes. Second, it was tough on the finish of the gun and my P3AT retains about 50% blue on the slide. Third, my pistol stayed much dirtier and would fill up with pocket lint. Now I use a DeSantis Superfly and all is well.
I've also heard that the state of Georgia requires a pistol to be carried in a holster at all times.

gunslinger_h

Blackhawk
Gato. I agree with you on that point. I know one and have heard of several who have done so. I was not discounting your post. I was just saying what I do. For me to shoot myself while taking a pistol out of my pocket, the hammer would have to hang up with enough force to break it. I do not keep my 1911 cocked, nor do I put my hand on the trigger until the pistol is clear of the pocket. And I stand by my statement that if you put your hand on the trigger before the gun is cleared, then that is bad trigger discipline, especially in a possible gunfight situation. My own thoughts on it, from seeing and from doing.

Your picture was clear my friend. It is just not my picture. Some things work for me and not for others because I have spent countless hours making them second nature. The trigger thing is one of those things. Even when quickdrawing my finger does not hit the trigger until the gun is cleared. I do not even cock my single actions until the barrel is clear. Same applies when in my pocket. Like I said earlier, been doing it for 40 years or so now, and I guess that if you practice even the wrong thing for that long, you will get consistent and good with it.

All I can speak of is what is good for me. For someone to get up here and say that it is wrong should be saying that it is wrong for them and not be all inclusive. By the way, in training, if you grabbed your weapon with your finger on the trigger, you were likely to get it broken, or smashed. NO one and I repeat, NO ONE, should have their finger on the trigger of a weapon unless they are in the process of shooting it. Even swat teams carrying their weapon at the ready do not have their fingers on the trigger. I stand by that. If I said that it could not be reached, which evidently I did, I was wrong. I should have said that it should not be touched until cleared. Too much chance to shoot the wrong person that way, including yourself, or myself as the case may be.lol

In both of my posts I have said what works for me, not what others should do. FOr those who say that I am wrong without knowing either my experience or what expertise I have, I would say that I could challenge you to see who came out quicker without shooting themselves and hit the target, but that would be moot. When I say that you guys carrying in holsters are wrong, then you can complain. Until then, me being alive right now is the proof of the pudding.

Thanks for the note Gato. I read that article also and knew where you were coming from. My hope is that no one who is carrying in any way ever has to show that it is effective or efficient. No fight is better than any fight in my opinion. Next to that, the fight that you win. What works for you is what you use. Do not make the mistake of getting killed by someone who pocket carries because you did not think that he could do it fast or safely. Would be a terrible mistake. Judge by what you can do, and leave the other to what he likes instead of criticising. Would be a hard lesson to learn. Best to all here, Hank.

Elfego El Gato

Single-Sixer
Hank -

All excellent points -- I wasn't in any way trying to say that what *you* were doing was wrong; I was only saying that, as a matter of training and general good practice, pocket hoslters are a good idea. If you've trained extensively and have the trigger/firearms discipline *and* it works for you, then of course, by all means do what you are comfortable with. But, for new shooters who are just starting to pocket carry, I tend to think that pocket holsters are the way to go, just in the interest of caution being the better part of valor.

I always use a pocket holster, as I really don't know if I'd go for the trigger inside my pocket in a confrontation or not (I've never had such a situation, so far, thank God!). People do stupid things when they feel threatened and their brains are firing way too fast for good judgement.

And, I like that pocket holsters keep my gun free of lint and my pocket free of holes and unnecessary wear.

Seems like we're on the same page, Hank, even if we don't necessarily agree on every point.

Next time you're at the bar, have a beer on me!

gunslinger_h

Blackhawk
I would rather have one with you my friend. I know where you were coming from, and for the most part my post was directed at those who ridecule what they have no experience with. I agree with you about new comers and holsters. Hell, I agree with everything that you said.lol Truth is that when I got my 1911, I could not afford a holster for it except for a shoulder holster, and none of what is available today was 40 years ago, so I learned to do without. I do not have to think now and do not want to change to something that will make me have to think.lol Did that make sense???lol Anyway, I am happy that you are back among the living, at least in here.lol Missed talking with you and exchanging ideas my friend. Be well, Hank.

White Falcon

Bearcat
DSCN21661569-1.jpg

cruzerlou

Buckeye
In my way of thinking ,I don't carry anything but the gun in my pocket when I carry this way and I NEVER touch the trigger untill I'm on target anyway + while pulling the gun UP when drawing if anything did touch the trigger it would be pushing the trigger foward ,not pulling it so the gun can't go off .You still have to be careful of corse and like any type of carry you must pratice your draw with an empty gun untill you can draw it safely ,without concious thought i.e. mussle memory .Some of you may not agree with me but thats O.K. I am comfortable with pocket carry with the right type of gun ,DAO hammerless snubbie ,glock/ walther pps safe action trigger J.M.H.O.
Lou

Latest posts