Bushing around firing Pin Old Model 41 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ferret Master

Bearcat
I have an old model Black Hawk three screw in 41 Mag. The bushing around the firing pin hole appears to be recessed about the depth of the thickness of a sheet of paper. My gunsmith says the gun will fail, the service department says they aren't sure and to send it in and let them look at it. I guess they primarily want to convert it. Has anyone had any experience with this condition? Any advice on what to do about it? Should I do anything about it? I have never seen this on any of my other Black Hawks.
Thanks in advance for your assistance,
Ferret Master

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I had a similar situation on a NM 38 wcf. Caused primers to back out just enuf to tie up the cylinder. Sent to Ruger and they replaced the bushing. If your gun is working fine I would not worry about it. If not, I would think any competent gunsmith could replace the bushing.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Ferret Master, When the cartridge case recoils and hits the bushing, "if" the primer has backed out the bushing will push it back enough where you shouldn't have any problems. The thickness of a piece of paper is usually not enough to bother anything as long as you are not maxing out your loads................Dick :wink:

Ferret Master

Bearcat
If the bushing is back further than the face of the frame how will it drive the primer back in if it doesn't touch it? My bushing is recessed.
Ferret Master

The point would be that if the primer is only protruding the thickness of a piece of paper it won't be protruding enough to tie up the cylinder rotation.

Unless it gives you trouble it's a non-problem.

JMHO

:)

tolerances come into play as the case will get pushed back into the chamber as it revolves, MAYBE a REAL TIGHT or filthy chamber could cause a bit of a 'hitch' or hesitation, BUT wouldn't know unless you try it....careful look /see at the recoil shield will tell you real quick if anything is going on, will leave tell-tale signs........
got any 'close up ' pictures ????does the bushing move? have you pressed against the rear of the pin to "see" if it goes forward?? when was the last time you really looked and noticed if there was a 'change"???
remember if it comes to changing the firing pin bushing, the OUTSIDE , curve of the rear of the cylinder frame is going to to "show" the pin having been driven out and back it, may NOT "match" look clean and smooth, as well as the factory will swap out, install the "safety update" kit to boot.......................again, have to "see' whats going on , the truth is in the firing of the gun...........if it ain't broke, don't screw with it....

Ferret Master

Bearcat
Dan
I sent you a PM. I don't how to get Images on this board. I do have close up's, good ones. I'll be glad to send as email attachments.
Ferret Master

look up top at the 'FAQ" there is good and LOTS of info in how to post pictures, just need a servor (host) like 'photobucket'?? or such to "host" the pictures for you,get them on here and let the guys look them over,,,, just needs ONE good clear, closeup.................

Ferret Master

Bearcat
Education is a wonderful thing. Here are the two pictures.
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/owenpeters1/Unbrushed_zpsa6f92c6c.jpg

http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/owenpeters1/Brushed1_zpsd52c592a.jpg.
Thanks,
Ferret Master

Ferret Master

Bearcat
GasGuzzler
I'm not sure what extraneous HTML tags are. If you would be so kind as to pm me with instructions I will gladly learn and edit the post. You can just click on the links in blue for now to see the pictures.
Thanks for your help,
Ferret Master

GasGuzzler

Hunter
You just need one set of HTML tags per linked pic. In the edit window, click the "Img" button. Copy the link location (URL) and paste it between the tag brackets----->
<------ Where the X is. When using photobucket, click the "DIRECT LINK" (second from top on right side of preview window) to obtain the URL of the picture.

Unbrushed_zpsa6f92c6c.jpg