Bullet testing on water jugs

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
I'm sure most of you know what a hard test medium water is when using handgun bullets. The good thing is, its repeatable & does give a comparison against other bullet designs. Today I did some testing with 2 different hollow point cast slugs, I wanted to see how well they would hold up & also if they would drive straight through.
The first bullet was the very popular cast HP designed for the 327 Maggie. Those of you fortunate enough to have one know what a great caliber it really is. The bullet is the 135 gr. Ferminator GC, which is the bullet designed by good friend & handgunner supreme, Fermin Garza. Fermin knew what he was doing when he put this design together, many years of shooting everything from the 22 rimfires up through the 500's led him to put this long & lean, wicked & mean bullet on the drawing board, its great!
While my load doesn't equal some others here it does a very good job for me & really gets after the water jugs. My first test last week was 2 jugs but it wasn't enough, that little monster blasted both jugs off the table so fast I didn't even get to see them go off. today I used 3 jugs, again the 135 gr. slug blasted through all 3, leaving a hole dead center through the front & out the back of the 3rd jug, very impressive for a cast hollow point. My load is 12.4 grs of H110, standard winchester primer & the 135 Ferminator, the bullet is going to raise holy %*@#% on ground squirrels & rock chucks this summer, trust me!
The second load tested today featured the 385 gr. cast HP in 475 caliber, loaded in my custom Harton 480 Bisley. My load of 21 grs. of 4227 is easy on the back end & a meat stoming, hair raising, bone breaking hunk of terror out the front end. This bullet has accounted for Moose, Bison & feral hogs. What this load did to 4 water jugs was a total suprise, I was not ready for the destruction this bullet did. And after the 4 jugs were blasted it buried into the berm at the back of the handgun range, I was totally shocked at the damage it did to over 20" of water.
Below is the video of the big 385 gr. HP taking on 4 water jugs, impressive to say the least.
What you are about to see is usually only done with premium bullets in rifles & few of them will penetrate 4 water jugs. This load in my gun is between 1050 & 1100 fps, you can go quite a bit hotter & obviously slower but why punish yourself or the gun when you can get this kind of performance.

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
I clicked on the pic & it took me to photobucket, but I wasn't able to see the video.

No problem though. I too enjoy my 327 maggie, and I don't have the 135 grn bullet you mentioned, but I do have a few in the 115 grn. You are correct,,, the 327 is a SWEET caliber to use on small to medium game. That Blackhawk makes it a pussycat to shoot & the delivery is rough on whatever you hit.
EDIT: I screwed up. I was thinking about a different 32 cal bullet I had on order when I mentioned I didn't have this 135 grn bullet. I actually do have it, & I have cast some,, but I'm awaiting some of Verals lube to add to it, so I haven't loaded any yet. When my newest 32 cal bullet mold arrived, I realized I had crossed my thoughts on this. Plus, I had a generous offer of some of these bullets by a member.
I'm looking forward to a bit of 32 cal devistation soon!

My 480 isn't as nice as yours, but my Super Redhawk is still a serious performer and a highly underrated caliber by the general public. Moderate recoil, and downrange performance is but two of the fine qualities of this caliber.
Which 385 bullet are you using? Is it one of the Miha customs?

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
The video worked for me.That's a great looking .480 rd Dick.That load sounds about perfect.Looks like you need more jugs.How hard are those bullets and do they open up?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Always fun and I do this occasionally also. Try this: Set up your own Box 'o Truth with 12 1" thick pine boards spaced an inch apart and/or separated by water jugs. :mrgreen:

callshot

Blackhawk
DICK! I hate you! I got just about as wet watching the video as I did when filming it for you. What did those jugs ever do to you? Is that a new way to water your lawn? I am going to have to try out some of my revolvers, only I'll need you to stand closer to get a better video. Impressive to say the least! Steve

sixshot

Buckeye
Yes Tyrone, that is one of Mihas' moulds & it works as good as it looks. Pine boards, who needs pine boards, we've used moose, bull bison & big feral hogs for testing, thats the real test.

Dick

Zeus

Blackhawk
Short Barrel said:
The video worked for me.That's a great looking .480 rd Dick.That load sounds about perfect.Looks like you need more jugs.How hard are those bullets and do they open up?

They open very well. Dick can correct me if wrong but I'm pretty sure they are approx. 9.5 BRN as he has them cast. The holes through the ribcage of the bison I shot with it were almost perfectly circular and 1" in diameter. Full penetration on the bison at just over 50 yards with a 1167 fps load at the muzzle. The pic below is a slug that our buddy James recovered from a big hog last year. He was shooting this slug at 1100 fps. The damage was incredible, weight retention is basically 100% and the slug is about 1" wide. The hog was hit through the shoulders and it was found in the hide on the offside. I think the hog slid on his chin at the shot. This bullet was one I asked about for a long time and wanted to have made and finally had enough people to make the order through Miha. I think we eventually ran a second run of them. The mold will also throw a solid just over 400 grains and has crimp grooves for both the FA cylinder and the longer cylindered customs. So far, I'm really happy with the results we are seeing. There will be more tests on critters this year and even a surprise iteration of this bullet that we will trying just for kicks :)

sixshot

Buckeye
Hello Jim (short barrel) yes they expand & penetrate like crazy. They are usually 9 1/2-10 BHN from my alloy. There should be a lot of game taken with this bullet this year.

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
While my computer doesn't like the link, I can imagine the water shower. Miha's molds do seem to make some of the best bullets I've seen. I kinda figured that was one of his. I'm awaiting a shipment on my latest 32 cal bullet as I type this.
I think my alloy is a bit harder,, so I may have to re-cast some ingots & soften them some.

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Great video Dick! I figured those 4 jugs wouldn't be enough to stop such a chunk of lead! Bet it will take 8-10 jugs to stop that baby!

Not to worry! Callshot has ample supply of filled jugs in his garage from that long, cold winter when he didn't feel like braving the weather going to the outhouse. Just make sure to have HIM bring them to the range and give yourself plenty of leeway when you shoot them. Last thing you need is pickle juice all over you :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep us posted and great seeing you on video. Hopefully the first of many to come!

sixshot

Buckeye
Yes if I want to "catch" them I use water softner bags filled with newspaper & then water soaked. It takes quite a few but gives good results.
Jeff, I was at Callshots' yesterday & he must have 25 milk jugs hanging on a string! True story, I have no idea why he would have that many but I'm sure we will be seeing exploding water jugs for the next 3 months. As violent as these things exploded I'm sure it will take 2-3 more to stop one. The penetration didn't surprise me as much as the total destruction of even the fourth jug, those babies just evaporated.

Dick

snappy

Single-Sixer
Nice video Dick! Your assistant is not allergic to water I guess haha! :lol: That is impressive to be sure. I wonder if that irrigation technique is allowed around here?