BULL MOOSE & THE HARTON 480

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Five years ago I took my once in a lifetime (in Idaho) bull moose using a Ruger SRH 480, my load was 20 grs of 4227 & the 370 gr softnose cast slug, this isn't a maximum load by any means but drilled through both sides of my bull moose & left a nice exit hole on its way out.
Three years ago my buddy Callshot whacked a nice moose with his Ruger 41 maggie & a 230 gr cast slug, both moose were one shot kills & neither traveled more than 40 yds, Steve's only went about 15 yds.
For the last 3 weeks I've been moose hunting with a life long friend who in spite of great difficulty wanted to whack one with a handgun. Brent is my denist & 35 yr hunting partner, we hunted Alaska way back in the early 80's on a 17 day drop camp where we took bear & caribou on a do it yourself hunt, geat fun!
Brent has endured several back surgery's in the last few years & its left him with a severe limp but his will to keep hunting is as strong as it was when we were kids.
After much pleading he decide to give it a try with a handgun, although he's never been a serious handgunner. We did some range shooting with his 44 Redhawk & one of my Ruger 44's & he was shooting very well, although I didn't turn him loose with the Harton 480 because I didn't want to expose him to the additional recoil. I was confident enough in his shooting & also our ability to get close enough to make a killing shot that I just had him keep practicing with the 44's.
We started out in early sept & seen several moose but I wanted him to hold out for a good bull so the hunt stretched into several weeks. We made 7 trips & spotted 9 different moose & as sept eased into october things started to get interesting.
The Shiras moose in my neck of the woods start covering a lot of country about the first week of october, they are looking for cows & watching a mature bull travel across an open hillside is a sight to behold, they can really cover the ground, much like a caribou in migration. Cow moose leave a scent on the ground from a gland on their feet (kind of like Fermin!) this allows the bulls to pick up the scent & track them down.
Because of Brents back problems it was out of the question to spot a moose on a distant hillside & make a stalk, it would have to be on a waterhole & with the weather staying warm we were seeing quite a bit of game.
Brent is very tough & very stubborn, he never complains even when we've covered 40 miles on the 4 wheelers looking for moose sign, we did exactly that yesterday & all he does is talk about how happy he is to be out hunting...my kind of guy! When he picked me up today I could tell the long ride from the day before had taken its toll on him but true to form he just wanted to know where we were headed & kept telling me how much he had learned in the past 3 weeks from reading John Taffins books about sixguns & asks me a million questions about guns, loads, holsters & pistol powder. Being a denist he's a very bright guy & he wants to know how & why something works.
As we settled into our little shady spot against some large pine trees the wind kicked up & it started to rain, we looked at each other & just smiled, both of us knew it was going to be miserable but we also knew you can't gettem from the family room!
After 2 hours a single coyote came in across the waterhole from us & started to work his way up into some quakies, I mouth called him & he spun around & tried to see what was happening, we were both somewhat exposed on the ground although we did have a good background & the wind was in our favor...so we waited, he hung up & I mouth called him again, this time he decided to make his move & trotted about 30 yds back towards us, I stopped calling & he stopped walking, I called again & he took a couple more steps but I knew he had too good of look at us & then he took off, you have to be very well hidden to nail a coyote with a handgun, they can see your heart beat at 50 yds.
Another hour passed & I looked up to my right & a cow moose was making her way down through some quakies into the open meadow, she had been bedded down all day & really wanted a cool drink before a night time of feeding.
When she reached the waterhole she took a long, hard drink & then looked over her shoulder, I knew then that a bull would show up shortly.
The cow was moaning all the time she stood there & she was pulling in the water like only a moose can. Brent had the gun cocked, his left thumb between the frame & hammer just like we had practiced & when the bull started across the 50 yd opening I could see my buddy start to ease the gun into position, he was resting it against a small pine tree with a convenient limb sticking out to support his left elbow...perfect.
When I gave him the nod that it was a shooter bull he slowly lined up the sights & at 35yds made an absolutely perfect shot, taking out the top of the heart & getting both lungs with the 370 gr softnose cast splashing off the wet ground on the backside. The bull whirled & then humped up, moose seem to hump up when they are shot, very seldom do they go down, even from a fatal shot, I've been in on several moose & they never seem to know they are dead, they soak up the shot, walk off a ways, lay down & die, its rare to just knock one over unless they are spined.
The bull took several steps & Brent missed him as he turned away from us, he then reared up & almost went over backwards, came down & started walking & stumbling up the hill for 40 yds & went down, when we got there he was almost out, a finisher behind the ear finished it & my old buddy had his once in a life time Idaho moose... & he did it with a very special handgun, the Harton 480 had been blooded!
After almost 45 years of handgunning I can honestly say its became more fun, more satisfying to see one of my good friends be successful, I enjoy it a great deal to see that wild eyed look on their face when they take a big game animal with a handgun.

These 2 moose came into one of our waterholes several days ago, the distance was about 45 yds, five years ago I passed on a huge 46" bull not once but twice at the same hole from the same spot!

100_2548.jpg

Brent & his son Seth on one of our waterholes, he's resting the Harton 480 on my shooting sticks. We have a good, dark background behind us but I like things open in the front, even at close range you can be successful if you have the wind & you move very slowly.

100_2553.jpg

If you have one ounce of life in your body you have to just soak in the beauty of the rockies in the fall.

100_2554.jpg

This is the cow moose about 15 seconds before the bull showed up, she was moaning all the time she was drinking, the only other time I've ever heard anything like it was when Jeff Hoover was working on a Huckleberry milkshake!

100_2555.jpg

A very happy moose hunter & the 5 shot Harton 480 & 370 gr softnose cast.

100_2559.jpg

Two life long buddies, he shot it & I'm happier than he is!

100_2561.jpg

What a beautiful bull, I told him we would hold out for at least a 40" bull & we did it!

100_2557.jpg

This load is doing less than 1100 fps at the muzzle & it still took out both lungs & the top of the heart with an exit hole on a large bull moose.

100_2565.jpg

Now if I can just get Ken Oneill up here for a moose hunt!

Dick

Very nice, It's a good thing when a plan comes together. Memories that you'll both enjoy. Congrats on a great 3 week hunt. Did your buddy have any comments on the recoil? Abrenalin pumping he probable didn't even fell it LOL ps

G2

Hunter
Another TREAT to wake up to,

Great Story and Great Pictures.

callshot

Blackhawk
Last night as I was starting to cook some supper the phone rang. It was the meat hammer. I could hear the excitement in his voice and knew exactly what had happened. He had to come out a ways to get cell service and needed some more help to get the moose out. I know that feeling well. He told me where it was so I could get the help to him. It was just a few yards from where he had helped me 4 years ago with my moose. I rounded up a couple of neighbors with strong backs and we headed up there. Things went really smooth and they got loaded up and out of the mountains and into town just as it started raining some more. It has rained most all night so it was really good to get it out without any more rain. Congratulations to you both, and many happy hunts to come. Steve

contender

Ruger Guru
As I read the story,, I could feel myself slipping into the quakies myself. I could see that yote wondering what was making noises at him. I sensed the moose cow as she started out of the timber. I cocked my hammer as well, knowing the bull would be soon there. I could feel the excitement as only a true hunter can feel at the sight of the bull,, knowing this was what I was waiting for. I never felt the recoil,, nor heard the shot,, even though I know both were there. And,, once the bull was down,, I knew I'd realized another dream,,a moose with a handgun!
Then,, I looked at my friend,, and somehow,, I knew he was as excited as I was,, even though he was not the one to get the moose. A true friend.
This story is as good as it gets. We all can share in it,, and those of us who get to experience a hunter realizing something so special for the first time is an honor. It's truly special when you have reached a point to where having shared in something like this is a greater pleasure than being the actual hunter.
Thanks for another great shared personal story my friend! Shake Brent's hand for us,, and tell him,, we all enjoyed his hunt!

mt

Single-Sixer
What a great way to spend three weeks. I'm glad your friend got to blood the Harton gun. I think we can say this particular gun is "famous" or is it "notorious" now...?

mt

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Hell Dick, you're having a blast, without even being the shooter! Great story and pics!!! Figure you and the family should be good to go on Dental care for a good while.

As to Fermin having a gland on his feet, that's just plain stench! Tho' his feet are cloven!

Thanks for sharing ! Can't wait for you to wack a deer soon!

sixshot

Buckeye
If you read closely you'll notice that my friend never once fired the 480, he did shoot the 44's quite a bit & his confidence was high & he didn't know until after the moose was down & out that he had shot a big bore sixgun (5 shot) with a very large bullet (370 grs) he said he never even felt the recoil & felt very confident on the first shot.
I did this very thing many years ago with my daughter, she was 14 yrs old & I had given her a Remington 722 in 308, I loaded cast bullets all summer with a light load (15 grs of RL7) with a 170 gr slug & she got very good with it & could run the bolt quite fast. On the appointed day we were high in the mountains on the horses & the bulls were bugling all around us, a nice bull came into view & she dumped it with one shot...only the load was a 150 gr Hornady with a case full of 4064 powder, she still doesn't know the gun kicked any different, I'm kind of sneaky that way!

Another photo of Brent's bull moose.

100_2562.jpg

100_2558.jpg

Here's my daughter at 14 yrs old with her bull elk.

028334-R1-102-102.jpg

Here she is with a buck taken the same year.

028334-R1-105-105.jpg

Now she's all grown up with kids of her own, this is my second oldest grandson. I know... I know, she got her looks from her dad!!

100_0769-1.jpg

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
I did notice in the story you never mentioned the switching of the handguns,, but I figured something was up. If you notice my first post,, I did mention the points about not feeling the recoil or hearing the shot,,,! :D
And while we all know Steve wasn't able to do much hauling of moose meat,, his help in getting together some strong backs of willing neighbors just shows how good the folks around there truly are.

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Pretty slick, Dick ! Show a picture of your daughter, with your good looks. Fermin will be up there in no time ! :lol: :lol: :D :D :roll:

Also on the gun switcheroo !!!

Guess that explains how I came back with a Uncle Mikes holster instead of a Barranti :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sheriff

Single-Sixer
The switch does indeed work. Doing the same with my 13yoa grandson this year. Loading some 125gr Sierra FNHP's over a charge of AA5744 in a .30-06. Shoots like a lite .30-30. Next weekend if all goes well. he'll take his first white tail with a 150gr/4350 load.
Looking at your daughter, Dick, I think the wife had more than a little to do with her looks. :lol: :wink:

bigboredad

Blackhawk
hey sixshot after living and playing in paradise what do you have to look forward to :lol: but seriously what a outstanding and truly once in a lifetime trip for both of you. Tell your dentist he is a inspiration to all of us that at time feel our trials are too much.

Latest posts