Brimstone Gunsmithing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

donut757

Blackhawk
I just got back my trigger i sent to him. I am very impressed with the feel of the trigger playing with it here at the house. The trigger was set at 2 3/4 lbs. There is hardly any creep at the beginning of the trigger pull. The difference between what i sent him and what i got in returned is very nice.

Now as many of you have heard, or know, for the the price of the basic trigger job you get a nice trigger in return. But thus far i am more impressed with the service and willingness to go out of thier way for the customer. I sent my trigger in and realized i didnt have quite as much time before my squirrel hunting trip as i thought. By the time i realized the trigger was already sent. I contacted him about the issue and he was more than polite and willing to do his best. I didnt get my hopes up because i know he runs a business and i was asking quite a bit out of their normal routine.

He got back with me and did the trigger as soon as he got it and shipped it back. I offered to send him a little extra for his time and for my appreciation but he did not want it. he shipped it back express and i paid them at the P.O.

For all fo those who are thinking about trigger work do not hesitate to give him the business. Its very affordable and the owner was very nice to do business with. I will be sending him another group here soon. I will make sure i give a report once i actually shoot the trigger with something that goes bang.

98_1LE

Single-Sixer
Yes, he did one for me when he was pretty new on RFC. Very willing to discuss what I wanted and make sure I was happy. His work was exactly what I wanted also. Definitely one of the good guys.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
dougader said:
My 22/45 is nasty bad.

My new MKIII 22/45RP was too (1/4"+ take up, HUGE pull, 1/8" overtravel) until I replaced all the guts with Volqartsen and Wolff parts. I don't know how much a trigger job is but mine is now perfect for my needs and feel for $100 and I lost the MD in the process (used a MKII kit and bushing, took out the perfectly fine TK bushing). Plus I like to take stuff apart and learn how it works.

98_1LE

Single-Sixer
This is a post I typed up elsewhere regarding 22/45 or Mark II/III triggers.

My standard suggestion for improving the trigger is the Clark hammer bushing, Volquartsen sear and trigger.

The Clark hammer bushing & sear pin kit (CLK517 for a 22/45 IIRC) is oversized and eliminates some creep. Creep is the play in the trigger once the pretravel is taken up, but before the sear breaks.

The VQ sear reduces trigger pull.

The VQ trigger has pretravel and overtravel adjustments. The Ruger trigger action is single action, 2 stage. This means there is a lighter first stage, then the trigger breaks with additional pull. A little pretravel is needed for the action to reset. I like to minimize it for the shortest possible trigger stroke.

Overtravel is movement of the trigger after the sear breaks. The only real downside is a longer movement to reset the action.

With those 3 parts the trigger pull comes in around 2# 4 oz, very crisp, and under .100" travel (typically .090" total stroke).

The Volquartsen hammer reduces lock time. The amount of time between the sear breaking and the bullet firing (think flint lock delay). I cannot detect a benefit, and while I have one or two guns with one in it, won't buy another. That said if the gun in question isn't a Target model from Ruger (adjustable sights typically) the VQ hammer will have more benefit as it will reduce creep slightly also.

The Volquartsen titanium disconnector is a couple ounces lighter than the steel Ruger part, but no one I am aware of, my self included, has been able to detect a measurable difference with a trigger scale. However it does offer an improved location for the trigger pin, which reduces pretravel. They have since replaced it with a steel one but I have not handled one.

If your gun is a MkIII, I highly suggest the Clark or another MkII hammer bushing to eliminate the magazine disconnect safety. This modification also allows magazines to drop free when the button is pushed, and makes them easier to insert. This also allows you to use the less expensive MkII hammer/accurizing kit should you choose to.

JFB

Hunter
I have removed and boxed the trigger groups for all six of the 1022's I had stashed around. Feels kind of funny not having a firing 1022 in the house.

I tried calling to confirm before I shipped, but the phone number on his site does not work for me
http://www.brimstonegunsmithing.com/contact-us/

For those who have had thier triggers worked, Did you just use the online store / pay / ship or did you make contact either by phone or email before paying the online store?

I'm hesitant just to click pay and ship with out making some type of contact

donut757

Blackhawk
Jfb... Pm returned.

Send him an email if youd like to make contact with him. But have no worries, just get tracking and insurance on yout package, atleast i would. Since you have six, make sure you label each group with how you want them set if they will be different.

JFB

Hunter
Used the online store (not fond of providing personal info to paypal though) and sent first class mail with tracking and insurance. Surprised there was no reference number from Paypal to include with triggers

JFB

Hunter
Used the online store (not fond of providing personal info to paypal though) and sent first class mail with tracking and insurance. Surprised there was no reference number from Paypal to include with triggers

Updates
day 0- mailed 10/31
day 2- USPS confirmes delivery at Yacolt post offife 11/2
day 15 - recieved email that triggers are in the shop and to expect a 3 week turnaround 11/15
day 19 - recieved email that triggers are finished and waiting to be shipped 11/19
day 24 - recieved USPS mailer with triggers

I can not believe how a decent trigger makes the 10 22 so much better. Now it feels like a real rifle.
Only had the oppertunity to try the metal trigger groups. Supposedly the polymer are even better

Latest posts