Boy there are sure a bunch of new cartridges now

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wwb

Hunter
grobin said:
Well I don't know. The 06 is a good hunting caliber, I took a bunch of deer when I was in high school and if I wanted meat I had to shoot it........

The .30-06 may not be the best for any one set of circumstances, but you'd be hard pressed to find a more versatile chambering. It's more than you need when a .30-30 will do the job, and a .338 Mag would be a better choice for coastal brown bears, but the '06 will work for both. Long range shooting is currently being dominated by the 6.5 Creedmore, but was previously the domain of the .308 (derived from the .30-06) and before the .308, it was the .30-06.

9x19

Hunter
wwb said:
grobin said:
Well I don't know. The 06 is a good hunting caliber, I took a bunch of deer when I was in high school and if I wanted meat I had to shoot it........

The .30-06 may not be the best for any one set of circumstances, but you'd be hard pressed to find a more versatile chambering. It's more than you need when a .30-30 will do the job, and a .338 Mag would be a better choice for coastal brown bears, but the '06 will work for both. Long range shooting is currently being dominated by the 6.5 Creedmore, but was previously the domain of the .308 (derived from the .30-06) and before the .308, it was the .30-06.

I seem to remember the Palmisano Pindel Cartridge enjoying a few years of popularity in the long range games. :D

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I'd say the majority of rifle shooters at the local range wouldn't be able to use any added potential of a 6.5 Creedmoor if it even exists. Just more folks slinging bullets at game at ranges they shouldn't.
I've been shooting a '25 Creedmoor' of sorts for years. It's called the 250 Savage Ackley Improved. My longest two kills at whitetail were 165 and 186 yards. Most shots have been more like 35 yards.

grobin

Blackhawk
My current ranges are short for the 6.5. I haven't had the problem but some 6.5s keyhole at less than 200 yeards. At my local ranges a lot of the folks don't have a good 200 yard zero and they are wishful thinking. If shoot anything in North America with good ammo and a good shot. IMHO every hunter should start with a bow! That way they must learn the basics.

wwb

Hunter
9x19 said:
I seem to remember the Palmisano Pindel Cartridge enjoying a few years of popularity in the long range games. :D

The 6mm PPC was the big player in Benchrest shooting - almost always 100 yards. I recall it being tried in long-range competition, but it never fared too well.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Alan in GA said:
I'd say the majority of rifle shooters at the local range wouldn't be able to use any added potential of a 6.5 Creedmoor if it even exists. Just more folks slinging bullets at game at ranges they shouldn't.
I've been shooting a '25 Creedmoor' of sorts for years. It's called the 250 Savage Ackley Improved. My longest two kills at whitetail were 165 and 186 yards. Most shots have been more like 35 yards.

I would say the majority of cartridges out there have more potential than I am capable of using. Doesn't keep from wanting one though!