Bowen Rough Country rear sight for a Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gun_Cat

Bearcat
Lets try again....originally posted this WTB last December

WTB: Bowen Rough Country rear sight for a Blackhawk. Looking for the .350" all black target style blade. Bowen's item # is RCST. New or very good condition.

Any leads on where I can source one? (Bowen is out of stock)

Attachments

• RC_target_sights_001.jpg
    RC_target_sights_001.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 51

Gun_Cat

Bearcat
Maybe not exact but Magnum Research (BFR people) make an excellent sight that fits perfectly. I have one and it's excellent. I have 2 Bowen's to compare to. Hope this helps.
Does the MR/BFR sight work as is with the exsiting front sight height, or is trimming of the rear sight blade height required?

Cyrus

Single-Sixer
I had it on my Redhawk convertible.45 acp/Colt before sending it to Bowen for his package. From my limited shooting of .45acp it seemed to work fine. Hopefully someone else chimes in with more specific info for your BH.

contender

Ruger Guru
Due to the lack of availability of Bowen sights,, (and their prices,) I have decided to try a different route.
Ronnie Wells, and Fermin Garza have collaborated to build a rear sight attachment, that replaces the factory blade, with a WELL designed replacement. You can go to RW Grip frames to see them. Different styles, and sizes are available. And they do not require any modification to the Ruger rear sight assy, except for the blade replacement. Totally reversible if desired.

Just an idea,, you may want to consider.

Gun_Cat

Bearcat
Due to the lack of availability of Bowen sights,, (and their prices,) I have decided to try a different route.
Ronnie Wells, and Fermin Garza have collaborated to build a rear sight attachment, that replaces the factory blade, with a WELL designed replacement. You can go to RW Grip frames to see them. Different styles, and sizes are available. And they do not require any modification to the Ruger rear sight assy, except for the blade replacement. Totally reversible if desired.

Just an idea,, you may want to consider.
I've dealt with Fermin Garza before so I know anything he is involved with will be first rate. If a Bowen sights does not turn up soon enough I'll try one of those RW Grip sight blades.

Usually it's just easier to upgrade the whole system. There are a lot of great systems available. Some might even be easier for older eyes. If something is old enough to not be available I'm probably old enough to need an upgrade.

Also, just a heads up. If your factory Ruger rear sight is a bit beat up or sloppy, Midway has them for $15.99.

Put your new RW rear blade on a new factory sight! I'm ordering a couple to have on hand…

That's the cheapest I've seen for new Ruger rear sights.

Gun_Cat

Bearcat
Usually it's just easier to upgrade the whole system. There are a lot of great systems available. Some might even be easier for older eyes. If something is old enough to not be available I'm probably old enough to need an upgrade.
Tell me about some of the great systems. I'm not finding too many options for Ruger Blackhawk sights (Red dot or scope on this project is not an option I want)

contender

Ruger Guru
You are correct,, in that unless you want a scope or a red dot,, few GOOD systems are available for the Blackhawks. As I've aged,, and my eyes are not as clear & sharp as they once were,, I've had to look at red dots & scopes as another tool that can allow me accurate shooting. But I truly appreciate the simplicity & ease of open sights, and know we are somewhat limited there.
With the new rear blade replacements,, as well as Fermin's front sight options,, we are entering a new era of EXCELLENT open sight choices to be able to get to adjust a gun's sight system to our own specific eyes.

Fermin just added his website link in another thread, in the "Revolvers" section, in a post about RW grip frames & new sights. Those rear sights are available there too!

Look closely at the excellent pictures above. tons of serious thought & work went into designing & building these new rear sight blade replacements. Currently 10 options,, which,, is the largest new open sight options I've ever seen. As noted,, you can have a few different ones for different conditions.

rawly1

Single-Sixer

WTB: Bowen Rough Country rear sight for a Blackhawk. Looking for the .350" all black target style blade. Bowen's item # is RCST. New or very good condition.

Forming is first class all the way

carbonfibrebob

Single-Sixer

I have an RCSV that I might be willing to part with