Blackhawk trigger pivot pin and gate detent spring

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Panthera Tigris

Bearcat
Greetings ladies and gent,

These parts are a little rough and chewed up in my blackhawk. Can the trigger pivot pin and gate detent spring be replaced without modification - drop in, ready to go? Or do the pieces require fitting to each firearm.

Thank you

NikA

Buckeye
In theory, these parts should not require fitting. In my experience, there may be slight variations on the ends of the loading gate spring that may necessitate some light sanding/polishing to have it function smoothly.

Panthera Tigris

Bearcat
Excellent, I will bring in some new ones and compare them side by side to ensure a match before making the call.

Enigma

Hunter
The trigger (and hammer) pivot pin may be a tad longer than absolutely necessary, and protrude a bit past the outside edge of the grip frame. This doesn't affect functioning in any way, but IMHO it is unsightly.

Panthera Tigris

Bearcat
Mine does that. The issue I have with the current one is that the inner ring where the gate detent is secured in the pin is chewed up and rough, whereas my hammer pin is smooth on the inner ring.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
All you need to do is pull the pin and polish the chewed up spring retaining groove. I always polish off the sharp edges of the groove on new pins for easier removal and installation.

By the way, Ruger parts dept will send you small parts like this for free.

Panthera Tigris

Bearcat
Thanks, Hondo44! I ended up replacing the trigger pivot pin as well the gate detent spring. The result is a much firmer loading gate action. I kind of like it as the way it came was a little anemic in terms of its walk and talk. While in there I also replaced the cylinder latch spring which was a little sprung as well as the pawl spring. I also switched out the factory trigger spring to a 30 oz. one, but I left the mainspring alone. Just got it all back together and will function test tomorrow at the range. She is all cleaned out with some new gears now!

Kunhausen's instructions for putting the action together are so much better than the ruger re-assembly video. Putting the trigger pivot pin through the gate detent spring, cylinder latch, and then the trigger prior to installing the hammer and pawl assembly was pretty simple compared to doing it all together. This way helped me keep the gate detent spring flush with the loading gate and helped me navigate the pin in through some lightly burred edges. That re-assembly video sure makes it look easier than it is.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Panthera Tigris said:
... That re-assembly video sure makes it look easier than it is.
After you do it a few times it becomes easy but if you don't do it for a while you are almost back to square one again. :D

Panthera Tigris

Bearcat
Passed all my post-assembly bench checks.

Timing is excellent. BC Gap measured at .0065". Endshake measured at .002". Passes service range rod test locked and unlocked. Everything appears good to go. 30 oz trigger spring did not cause any issues with trigger return.

5P9sruc.jpg

Panthera Tigris

Bearcat
Shoots like a dream. This is to point of aim but not too far from the target. Groups open up a bit 50' back. Nothing quite like a keith load just under 1000 ft/s. 6th shot was pulled to check for bullet jump. All together function tested through about 40 rounds.

Ready for service now to our family!

xEaWzvm.jpg