Blackhawk flattop .357/9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TfflHndn

Bearcat
I bought one of these .357/9mm convertibles about 8-9 months ago. I really like the way it shoots, but I do have issues loading the 9mm once it gets several cylinders through it. It seems to get powder debris buildup at the case mouth, and then the rounds won't easily load without running a cleaning patch through it. Also, one cylinder gets cases stuck in it - probably needs polishing. The .357 cylinder is trouble-free. I found some 150 grain SCW 9mm coated bullets at Bayou Bullets, and this gun seems made for them! Super accurate and plenty of thump if you're shooting plates or pins. Try some if you reload your own.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
If you look at the spent 9mm brass, some brands come out of the cylinder with a lot of black on them, indicating it didn't expand enough to seal well. Shooting a bunch of those will result in dirty chambers.

Try some different brands until you find the ones that expand better.

Garandguy2

Bearcat
I just bought a 1973 in great condition, and have that same problem with a 9 mm chamber! Cleaned and brushed it well, and problem persists. I just posted a question on how I might fix this. Have you resolved your situation with it?

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Garandguy2 said:
I just bought a 1973 in great condition, and have that same problem with a 9 mm chamber! Cleaned and brushed it well, and problem persists. I just posted a question on how I might fix this. Have you resolved your situation with it?

As I stated above, I'd just experiment with different brands of 9mm ammo.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
phonejack said:
115's are accurate @10 yards in mine. 25 yards not good at all. I may be expecting too much. Next time I go to the range I'm going to see how 147's fare. The longer bearing surface may help.

When I can find 147 grain, I buy it. It seems to shoot much better than 115 in my Blackhawk.

Aligater

Bearcat
...tried my new .357/9mm SS out last week. The .38 specials and the .357's were very accurate. The 9mm's were all over the target I think I'll conduct a contest between the new one and my old .45 convertible...just a feeling before the contest. I think the .357 might win.