Birdshead 45ACP with Bisley hammer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
Hey All.
Finally got the Power Customs Bisley hammer/trigger kit installed and operating.
Haven't even fired this revolver yet, but the trigger pull is AMAZING with the Power Customs kit installed. (maybe TOO light)
Better pics to follow, when I can take some natural light photos, but for now:

Smee781

Single-Sixer
I did the same thing to my SS 45C but I just bought a Ruger Bisley hammer and recontured it to fit myself. My thumb can reach the hammer with out having to readjust my grip, a bonus for sure.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
I've been thinking of doing that to my Birdshead. Did you use the regular size Power Customs kit, or is there a smaller size? I've installed them in Blackhawks before, but wasn't sure if they would work in the New Vaquero frames.

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
mrbumps said:
I've been thinking of doing that to my Birdshead. Did you use the regular size Power Customs kit, or is there a smaller size? I've installed them in Blackhawks before, but wasn't sure if they would work in the New Vaquero frames.
When you order from the Power Custom web site, there is a drop-down menu for what size frame you want.

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
In reference to the question regarding fit and function: My gunsmith had to take over the installation project, once it became clear to me that the fit wasn't exactly...drop in!
He carried on some conversations with Ron Powers himself, and ended up having to file off some material from the grip frame.

All is well now, and the half cock capability is a hoot (not used to that on a Ruger)!

Hate to admit it....but this thing has STILL not been fired!

Plenty of 45 ACP on hand, just need some time!
(full range report to follow)

MCPO

Bearcat
Wheelyfun44 said:
. . . Hate to admit it....but this thing has STILL not been fired!

Looking at your photos I was really in awe at how slight a ring you have on that cylinder. Mine is about 5 times larger - now I understand :)

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
MCPO said:
Wheelyfun44 said:
. . . Hate to admit it....but this thing has STILL not been fired!

Looking at your photos I was really in awe at how slight a ring you have on that cylinder. Mine is about 5 times larger - now I understand :)
Well.....I have snap caps in the cylinder, and DO dry fire the heck out of it!
I am somewhat fastidious regarding the condition of my weapons, and try to prevent the "ring" around the cylinder by lining up the cylinder flutes (centered each side on the top strap) before closing the loading gate.

Of course, the design of the Ruger single action WILL carve a line in the cylinder finish, regardless of handling habits.....but it can be reduced by the above mentioned steps!

The Colt clones I've owned had NO rings in the cylinder finish, because I NEVER lowered the hammer from half cock. (and the timing was perfect??)

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
Grips are Eagle Gunfighter Rosewood checkered......
Much thinner than factory grips, and make the birdshead sit perfectly in my hand.

I've had Eagle grips on all of my single action revolvers at one point or another, and always loved them!