Birds Head Grip

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dsf

Bearcat
I really wasn't much of a fan of the Birds Head grip, just seemed to not be all that comfortable or a good pointer. Especially on the larger framed, longer barreled SA revolvers. I found a Ruger SA in 327 Magnum and changed my mind -
IMG_0775.jpg

The factory grips are a bit too thin and I didn't like the look. Fit was horrible too. Not sure of the brand I went with but they're wider and rounder, fit my hand better. Very comfortable and the 327 is easy to shoot.

Thanks for sharing, DSF. I've been trying to make the same point for years about fatter grips that are properly sized for the shooter, especially for the birdshead. After I did that, it became a favorite grip frame even for factory loads on a 44Mag. Like I did for years, I think most folks only try it with the uncomfortable, thin factory grips.

Reactions: dsf

G2

Hunter
I really like the Birdshead in the short barreled guns.
A Birdshead is nothing but a Round Butted XR3-RED, the standard "Plow",,,

Take a set of XR3-RED Grips and install them on the Birdshead, you will see if one really wants to have a XR3-RED, you could fashion a FILLER to fill in where it has been round butted,,, best of both worlds, i guess.🙄

I to prefer the thicker grip panels especially the early Black Micarts.
50286667097_45aeaf6ae9_b.jpg

I've said before, I very much like the birdsheads in lesser-recoiling revolvers. This revolver, chambered in .45 auto, is dwarfed in my hand, but for me it's still very comfortable and shoots quite well. With my large hands but comparatively short fingers, a thicker grip would not suit me.

Everybody has their own personal sweet spot.:)

P1050216.jpg

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
Op that is a handsome looking 327, I've been fighting off the want to buy one for some time now.

Wayno "Dwarfed" now that's an understatement, you got some paws there, that looks like a tiny little toy revolver.

Can I show pics of all my birdheads ?

Wayno "Dwarfed" now that's an understatement, you got some paws there, that looks like a tiny little toy revolver.

Can I show pics of all my birdheads ?
Actually, it's not my hands that are big, but my fingers are and my hands are wide. I swung a hammer, pulled big wrenches, and squeezed channel locks for too many years. My fingers morphed into gorilla fingers. But my fingers are still short and I still have difficulty reaching some triggers correctly.

And of course you can post your pictures. The more the better. :)

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Wow those look great. I'm normally not a fan of color case hardening or pinto sixguns...but yours are fantastic and those grips match the color case hardening so well. Wow what a pair!

What are those types of grips? Somewhere in my brain the proper term is rattling around, spalted burl or something like that.

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
WOW Jim, I've almost been ashamed to admit I even own a gun that looks like this. And here you have a pair....just what were we thinking at the time we did this ? We've started a cult, I wonder if we have any other members out there ?

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
Wow those look great. I'm normally not a fan of color case hardening or pinto sixguns...but yours are fantastic and those grips match the color case hardening so well. Wow what a pair!

What are those types of grips? Somewhere in my brain the proper term is rattling around, spalted burl or something like that.
The two that pop up in the photo from your question, believe it or not they are splatted hard maple. I found the wood on line to so something else with but decided to send it off to the grip maker instead just to see what would turn out. I had two other pairs out of the same piece, but I gave them away on the other Ruger forum, while I was blocked from getting on here for a few years caused I changed my email addy.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I bought two of the original Vaqueros with birdsheads in 45 Colt. OK for cowboy loads but not for anything heavier. Switched one to a Bisley grip. It handled heavy loads well and made a great bear gun for the PNW. Regret selling it. The other was switched to a "plow-handle" grip and also sold. Went to Colt SAAs for CAS.
Then, I added several Colt Lightnings and Thunderers to my collection, as well as a couple of Colt 1878s in 45 Colt and 38 WCF, as well as a 1902 Colt in 45 Colt. MUCH BETTER handling revolvers!!!!!

I guess, like the Colt Bisley, the imitation isn't as good as the original.

I still love my OM Blackhawks and my Vaquero, though.

Armybrat

Buckeye
I'm darn sure I'd like to have one like that too !!!! That is one handsome gun, that unfluted cylinder and buffed finish with plain white grips... sweet no doubt. You want to sell that gun ??
Thanks, but no.
My kids & grandkids would fight you for it. ;)
Seriously though, I haven't sold a gun since 1965, and that was a $20 Rhom .22 to a college buddy.

Latest posts