Big Bore GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Big Old Boy said:
Thankfully I have a top secret credit card for gun purchases, no my wife never reads this forum.
Yeah, I have a credit card I refer to as "for business" and it was really that when I traveled for my company. I now use it for my toys so they don't show up on the "family" card.

That said, the more difficult things to hide are the e-mail confirmations and shipping notices for stuff you buy on-line. My wife doesn't read these forums either but she does recognize "Midway" and Brownells".

32magfan

Blackhawk
Since the GP100 44Spl on Galleryofguns is "Allocated", I stopped at a shop I go to occasionally today to ask about this one. All his other suppliers had none in stock. I will check back later. He said $729 + tax & Tics. Ouch.

32Magfan

howl

Bearcat
Barrel's too short and I already have a S&W 69. I might get one eventually if they do a 4" version. I'm sure waiting on a 4" .22lr on the GP100.

I don't see it being a Special as a problem. A hot Special load is standard Magnum fare. It's the same whether it's a GP100 or S&W 69.

k22fan

Blackhawk
Bear Paw Jack said:
Ale-8(1) said:
A 5-shot 3" in .44 Special . . . Taurus beat 'em to it by years in the 431, which is my nightstand piece.
Now . . . in .45 Colt . . . ;)

I've got 2 of the 3" 431's, one blue, one stainless. Nice guns. Didn't know about the 45 Colt. May have to check into that. Thanks for the news.
.44 Special was the most stressful cartridge Taurus used their Model 431's frame for. That frame was superseded by the Tracker frame. The Tracker frame has been used for five shot .41 Magnums, .44 Magnums, .45 ACPs and .45 Colts. In addition to the standard stainless steel all four big bores were made with titanium cylinders, frames, and barrel sleeves. In both types of metal they all have been made in 4" and 6" with adjustable sights and shorter barrels with fixed sights. The titanium models were discontinued after the price of titanium got too high. After the .45 calibers did not sell well the .45 Colts were closed out at bargain prices.

A friend and I have both had good luck with our .45 ACP Trackers. Their main draw back is that they use long discontinued propitiatory moon clips. Taurus clips are thinner than Colt and S&W 1917 clips so Trackers do not have enough head space for .45 Auto Rim. Like most Trackers they have muzzle ports which I wish were not there. I've never seen a Tracker .45 Colt fired.

Legionnaire

Single-Sixer
Midway just received an order of compact rubber grips. Add a set of custom inserts and Voila!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/880222/ruger-factory-grip-1-piece-rubber-without-inserts-ruger-gp100-fixed-sight-model

DPris

Buckeye
Ruger's been selling complete sets of the Compact grips for over a year.
Shows now on their website at $44.
Denis

xtratoy

Buckeye
Does anyone have a good 700 FPS +\- load for 300 grain hard cast lead. I gave a bunch of these bullets that I would like to use in one if these new GP's.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
Xtratoy,

Brian Pearce listed a 44 spcl load using 300 gr cast bullets.

http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/44_Special_Articles/Brian%20Pearce%20on%20the%2044%20Special.pdf

I put together a few of these in my FA mdl 97. Shot well, but OAL was a bit too long for me to hunt with. Any bullet creep would have tied up the cylinder. Shouldn't be a problem for the GP.

I cannot recall what velocity I was getting out of the 4.25" barrel.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Been waiting for this for a long time and they've finally come through!

I'm in the "I'll wait 'till they stretch the barrel a bit" camp.

My blue 4" Taurus 431 w/ adjustable sights was a near perfect pistol. Selling it is now a source of much regret. The Ruger version will be all that and some.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Stretch the barrel a lot. 8" plus. Who needs another belly gun?

Shoot out to a distance that's more challenging. 100 yards plus.

Long sight radius and more velocity.

You guys have enuf snubbies to play Rambo defense. Let's get a shooter!

Mus408

Hunter
Legionnaire said:
Here's a review: http://www.downrange.tv/blog/new-ruger-gp100-in-44-special/38124/

RugerGP100-44-1.jpg

That is a nice looking revolver and could be my Alaskan's little brother!

DPris

Buckeye
My T&E sample's on the way, so it'll be a few days.
It'll look pretty much the same as other photos posted. :)
Denis

Latest posts