BHK 45 SHOOTS VERY HIGH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The sights all the way down and 255gr. Cast lead bullet hits 7 to 8 inches high. I don't want to adjust load as it works well with the other 45s. What is my best bet to get the sights to regulate to point of aim? Is there a different rear blade that would work or am I going to have to change the front sight blade?

LaneP

Single-Sixer
I have a 4-5/8" NMB stainless .45C and the front sight blade is pinned to the mount, so I was able to buy an extra tall replacement blade from Brownells and swapped them out.

Heavy bullets of 300-325 grains around 950 fps landed very high at 25 yards with the stock front blade.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
Nearly thirty years ago , to lower the 454424 260gr SWC's POI I had to trim .030" off the top of the REAR sight blade to sight in my OM BH 7 1/2" 45. It worked perfectly then and it still works perfectly now. Take the blade out to do it and use a micrometer, DON'T GUESS !

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
I am sure you will get a lot of good replies. I went through the same thing five years ago when I got my .45LC 4&5/8" convertible.

My solution was to build up the front sight blade with JB Weld. Simple, effective, and cheap.

contender

Ruger Guru
If it's an OM, then by all means, do what Wil Terry has suggested. A rear sight blade can be replaced easily & doesn't alter the collectability of a gun.

I too agree, shave DOWN the rear blades TOP edge, you can always be able to "adjust" the sight up for other ammo......does NOT get any easier, or cheaper, to do it this way 8) :roll: :wink:

Of course, you gotta know how high at what range/distance to calculate how much to shave off - if it is really bad you may not be able to shave enough off the rear sight to compensate. While it might discolor the bluing, I *think* that JB Weld on the front sight is essentially reversible - it can be softened&removed - someone correct me if I am wrong..