Best Cleaners for Gun's Exterior

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Shadow

Single-Sixer
Most Shooters and Collectors are aware of synthetic lubricants to maintain the shooting integrity of a firearm's working parts, but my question is "......the best cleaner for hard chrome or brushed SS finish"? There's a bit of residue from firing on the unfluted cylinder. I used to use "Simi Chrome", and before I buy it again, was wondering if someone can recommend a better cleaner and why? Thanks for your suggestions.
Shadow

G2

Hunter
I use a lead away cloth on my stainless guns, works really well. after there all cleaned up I wipe them downd with a dry cloth and then the RIG Rag.

WARNING!!! Do not get the lead away cloth or residue any where close to your Blued guns, it works all too well there, will remove the blueing.

I don't have any experience w/ hard chrome and lead away. Don't see a problem but don't know.

Shadow

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the recommendation G2! Have you had any experience with "Simi Crome", it's an automotive product and works great on nickel finishes. Just curious!
Shadow

G2

Hunter
I have never used Semi Chrome, I have used Flitz. Others here on the forum mention they like flitz too. FLitz is recomended for the Brass Grip Frames and then I have seen others use a small amount to clean/shine things up.
Hang on others will chime in over the weekend. friday evenings are kinda slow around here.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Simichrome is fine, as is Flitz. I have both. My tube of Simichrome is nearly 30 years old at this point. You don't use much. (And I have a Harley with plenty of chrome on it!)

Nev-r-Dull is good for removing the carbon rings. There was a topic that mentioned it just recently. It was the topic where Cary was showing us how abrasive those Lead-Away cloths are, fwiw...

I've also found Turtle Wax Chrome Polish is good for stainless guns, though I don't do the over-cleaning thing too much any more. Many people use Johnson's Paste Wax or similar as a long term protectant.

I no longer go nuts with cleaning. I use Gunzilla CLP, and what it doesn't get off isn't worth getting off, imo. I do use Sweet's 7.62 for copper fouling in rifles, sometimes a foaming bore cleaner if needed. JB Bore Paste for really heavy fouling (generally when I buy a used gun, as I don't let my own get bad enough to need it). Brake cleaner to get off heavy gunk, cosmoline, etc.

Lots of people just use Hoppe's #9 and some oil. Or Breakfree CLP. Most of the "name" cleaners are just fine for use.

-- Sam