Being tempted by an 3 screw 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ethang

Blackhawk
One popped for sale locally, non-converted 3 screw 4-5/8 with stag grips. I have not seen it in person but from the fuzzy pics the seller sent me it appears to be in fairly good condition. The grips are a question mark however, fit is kinda sloppy and appearance makes me question if it is really stag. Price is in the $500 range and I have been telling myself you can't pick up a new one for much less than that.

Yes I am looking for a push to go buy it...

eveled

Hawkeye
You won't find a better shooter, but price seems high. The stags are the deciding factor. If real stag and are usable, they are worth around $200. So the gun is only $300.

If they are not usable you'll be buying replacements, so figure in their cost.

Most folks around that have an unconverted 3 screw, hold onto them.

Ethang

Blackhawk
Robb Barnes said:
The grips appear to be elk antler rather than sambar stag but it is still a good deal for a three screw.

I was thinking that same thing, although I am no expert when it comes to judging stag grips, they just looked a bit off.

2 dogs

Buckeye
They don't make those anymore and probably never will again. You won't miss the money. They ain't getting any cheaper either.

hittman

Staff member
.... Push! ....

$500 overpriced?

Wow.....wish I lived where y'all do. You can go YEARS around these parts and never see a short barrel OM 357 for sale. Regardless of the grip material......they're a bonus.

contender

Ruger Guru
BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!

It's not a Flattop,, and it has aftermarket stags. BUT,,, the value is a "no-brainer." As noted,,, even a decent pair of aftermarket elk stags with medallions like that are worth $200,, and the gun is well worth $300.
If you are a negotiator,,, then cash in hand may even get you a better deal.

eveled

Hawkeye
Pictures weren't there when I made my first post. The grips look ok, I'd buy it.

cowboy77845

Bearcat
I suspect that stag grips with medallions are not easy to find. I'd buy it. It may be overpriced in some one's opinion but it is right there available. How long will it take you to find one in this condition. I think unconverted 3 screws are very desirable. I have two not that bbl length. I prefer that bbl length.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Robb Barnes said:
The grips appear to be elk antler rather than sambar stag but it is still a good deal for a three screw.
Agreed! Definitely look like elk antler but I'd buy those all day long at $500.

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
That's a heck of a deal, as stated the grips are worth $ 200.00. Wish I lived where this gun is overpriced?

48flyer

Single-Sixer
looks like Patrick Grashorn Elk Stag to me. I'd have snapped it up for that price. If you do buy it, and want to trade for an original walnut set of grips, let me know

Ethang

Blackhawk
Well the temptation was too much. Met with the owner and the Blackhawk was in much finer shape than the pictures. Not un-fired but looks really close to unfired. Hardly any blueing wear on the cylinder pin or the ratchet. Grip fit is not near as bad as it looked in the pictures. I have had a 3 screw SS for a few years but this is my first Blackhawk and my first set of antler/stag grips. They feel really nice in the hand.

I will take some more pictures when I get a chance. Thanks for all of the advice. Your a bunch of enablers and thats what I love about this place.

Latest posts