Beautiful wood stocks - version 2.0

Help Support Ruger Forum:

egl52

Single-Sixer
A couple years back I started a thread called "Beautiful wood stocks" and I really enjoyed seeing what others posted. The pictures doccash recently put up of his 1892 Winchester Takedown got me thinking it's time to do it again! Let's see pics of your best looking wood stocks - rifles, shotguns, or revolvers - Ruger or not. I'll kick it off with a pic of some of mine. On top is a .270 Express, then a .338 Express, then a Gold Label, and then a Woodside on the bottom.

Shadow

Single-Sixer
Custom exhibition grade Turkish Walnut stocks on custom modified Lipseys flat-top Bisley 44 spl.

princeout

Blackhawk
And an OM 45, barrel shortened, Clements Bisley hammer, tite chambered OM SBH cylinder with walnut grips by the gunsmith, Alan Harton.

Tim

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
Caesar Guerini Magnus shotgun...

JRH custom 41 mag, walnut...

JRH 475L, walnut...

Alan Harton 327 SS, Amboyna burl...

John Gallagher 500L, walnut...

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Well, these aren't up to the standards shown so far, but I did make them myself. :)

Rosewood and ebony.

cva%20colt.jpg~original

Birdseye maple & ebony (laser cut lettering).

siggrips.jpg~original

And a couple knives:

Maple/Ebony:

tantoopen.jpg~original

Walnut:
Ryans%20knife.jpg~original

Mesquite/mahogany/ebony belt holster for Buck 110:

buckholder.jpg~original

princeout

Blackhawk
Alan Harton ( I think, chime in Greg ) walnut grips on a Harton-built, octagon barreled 475 Linebaugh.

Tim

princeout

Blackhawk
And, just passing thru...

a brass Bisley grip frame by way of John Linebaugh or Milt Morrison or both, not real clear on the history, with John Gallagher Box Elder burl grips.

Tim

countryboy

Single-Sixer
Carl, Private's Customs Grips. Birdseye maple.
50jyh3.jpg

Zane, Lone Star Custom Grips. Maple burl, Curly maple, and Birdseye.
25gtqu8.jpg

fxtd2r.jpg

28wmkbk.jpg

princeout

Blackhawk
egl52 said:
Great pics, guys! I have to ask, princeout, what do you mean by "'Steve' walnut grips"?

"Steve" wood is wood that Stevem (on Ruger Forum) or Steve (on Single Actions Forum) has collected from various source in the Northern California area. He has gathered up and purchased wood from big time long gun stockmakers and offered it to the forum for sale. When he has some up for grabs, it goes quick. He has come up with some spectacular pieces. Hopefully he will see this thread and add pictures of some of his guns to it.

About 6 or 7 replies down on this post you can see a block of "Steve" wood under the flattops.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=220758

stevem

Single-Sixer
The grips on Shadow's flat top always make me drool.

Tim is right, I live in Northern California walnut country and looking for pretty walnut is a hobby of mine. I was out looking a couple months ago and couldn't find anything good enough that was dry/seasoned. Hopefully I'll be able to find some in the spring.

These are a couple of mine:

English walnut on an OM Super Blackhawk currently at Jack Huntington's getting a new 5 1/2" banded barrel

My newest, English walnut on a Jack Huntington 5 shot dual cylinder 45

Shadow

Single-Sixer
Thanks Steve ...... on the other hand, I've seen many of your Walnut stocks on members guns and on your own that are extremely drool-worthy. It appears we both have an affinity for beautifully burled Walnut. Two excellent examples directly above.

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
Since this idea started out with rifles and shotguns I think I can contribute. All my Ruger handguns have factory grips so I don't have but one to share.

The rest are rifles and shotguns ---- The rifle is a 6m/m early serial # 29xx. The shotgun is an Orvis so the recoil pad is right - a leather covered one used exclusively on the Orvis shotgun - is not a new black pad.