Bearcat shopkeeper luck (Lipsey's)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Back in the spring/summer I was about ready to buy a Bearcat shopkeeper. I asked a few questions on this site about it and the feedback was almost all negative. Not in the typical internet way (where 98% of the guns are good, but the 2% of the guys with the bad ones do a lot of complaining). In this case it seemed like there were some real problems with fit, finish, and function. A lot of lead shaving, FTFs, etc. Few people stopped up to defend the gun.

So...has anybody picked one up lately? What do you think? I really like little 22s, and this seems like it could be a great one.

Is Lipsey's still shipping them?

Thanks,

SR

what would you say

Single-Sixer
I haven't had any of my local friends or myself to acquire one yet, so I don't know quality and function on the shopkeeper yet. Had friends talk about wanting one. The price on Gunbroker is still giant whenever one pops up available since they're still hard to find.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
THE ONE I GOT IN SEPTEMBER IS SUPERB !! It would pick off the lilly pads at 50-60 yards slick as a whistle and all the steel targets at 90, 100, 110, and 120 yards were running for their lives when we went to work on 'em. The fact the pistol was delivered in a brand-new full-flower-carved Barranti shuck was just thick icing upon a mighty tasty cake.

Bkat

Blackhawk
I got one early this year. The finish was perfect although the action was a little gritty and the grips were a poor fit. I had an action and trigger job done on it and LSCG of the forum made some perfect fitting custom ebony grips for it. It's now a favorite shooter and is as accurate as any of my other Bearcats.

Edit to add: The short ejector rod can be a problem in extracting fired cases, but a little chamber polishing and letting the rod catch the edge of the case solves that.

Bkat

paochow

Bearcat
I've had one since spring. It is very accurate and the action is smooth. I had an issue with an overtightened grip panel from the factory, but Ruger replaced it. It is a nice little hunting companion.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've heard of the tough extraction. I typically polish the cylinders on my revolvers, plus I don't get in too big of a hurry anyway. It's not like single actions were meant to be shot a thousand rounds at a time anyway...

Ryan

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I stopped by two gun shops today, one of which had a shopkeeper a couple of weeks ago. Of course, all were gone. Such is my luck. Maybe one will turn up soon.

SR

dakota1911

Buckeye
In the December issue of the "American Rifleman" there is a review. I have looked a couple and they look nice. I have a couple other Bearcats and do not really collect them.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Guys,

I bought one a couple of weeks ago. Cabelas had 3 so I was able to pick the one that looked and felt the best. I put a few cylinders through it just to make sure there were no issues, and everything was fine.

My next step is to slick up the action and polish the cylinder to improve extraction. I'm also holster shopping, which is half the fun.

SR

Manchester

Bearcat
south_ridge said:
Guys,

I bought one a couple of weeks ago. Cabelas had 3 so I was able to pick the one that looked and felt the best. I put a few cylinders through it just to make sure there were no issues, and everything was fine.

My next step is to slick up the action and polish the cylinder to improve extraction. I'm also holster shopping, which is half the fun.

SR

Congrats on the early Christmas present to yourself :D

I love my little Shopkeep'