Bearcat Collecting

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigedd

Bearcat
Who can tell me how many variations of the Old Model Bearcat there area? I am aware of the 3 digit or less variation, the two years of alphabet variation, the early no logo on the grip variation, the steel ejector rod variation, the 90 prefix and the 91 prefix, two trigger different guard super bearcat variations. I know there are such things as duplicates, engraved etc., but I don't consider those real variations. If a person had the eight I have mentioned, would he have a good collection?

radicalrod

Hunter
Well it real is up to you how serious of a collector you wish to be.....8 is more than most and just a starting point to some.....you can always modify your plan as you go.....I change my plan DAILY......I can't tell you how many times I have said I am QUITING....then I see one more that I JUST HAVE TO OWN.....always remember it is suppose to be a HOBBY......good luck, RR.

chet15

Hawkeye
yeah...as Radical said, depends how serious you want to get about Bearcats. the major variations are the 1-999 serial number range which was first, the Alpha prefix gun, a 2000 to 34xxx range gun with small serial numbers, a large numbered gun with steel housing, large numbered gun with alloy housing, 90 prefix, 91- prefix brass guard and 91- prefix steel guard.
Beyond those, you can get pretty crazy. Have thirty some Bearcats in our collection and most of them have soemthing different about them.
Chet15

americal

Hunter
GREAT little Rugers :) ENDLESS number of ways to collect different ones come on the market quite often & always Bearcat boxes for sale even on E- BAY 8)

flatgate

Hawkeye
I kinda set betwix RR's and chet15's "hoard's" of Bearcats. IIRC, there's 35 of them........and as Chet15 stated, not many "duplicate" examples except for consecutive serial numbers. All are boxed except the one "that doesn't exist"....... :D

flatgate

lovemydals

Buckeye
Don't forget the factory "second" varaiations. I recently purchased a OM Bearcat, s/n 54664, that is a factory "second" with an "S" stamped on the bottom of the cylinder/grip frame ahead of the trigger guard that is noted in Chad's reference, making eleven known now. Overall condition is 90% (+/-) without box or p/w. I got it for $850 plus fees.

lmd

flatgate

Hawkeye
lmd..........

BC4-49837S.jpg

BC4-S.jpg

:D

flatgate

contender

Ruger Guru
If you really want to know as much as you can about variations,,,, you NEED to subscribe to the Red Eagle News Exchange.
PS; Chet15 is the editor & contact!

stantheman86

Buckeye
I'll be happy when I get my 1st one!

I'm primarily a shooter, but one each of the blue and stainless New Bearcat would be a solid start for me.

I realized a few years back that a person could remain permanently broke trying to "complete" even one aspect of Ruger collecting.....like my attempt to have every variation of the Service Six. I have about 14 of them and I still need dozens more to be "complete". 8)