Bad for my gun question??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

aphawki

Bearcat
Ok not sure on the exact terminology I need to use here...so I am going to ask for forgiveness on that.

My question lies with chambering a load. It seems that with the cheaper ammo I am finding that if I manually rack the slide I get a round stuck trying to feed up the ramp. However...if I lock the slide back...load a magazine...then release the slide...it loads every time no issues at all.

So my question is...Is letting a locked back slide slam forward to load the round bad on my gun? Is doing this going to cause more harm than the benefit I get of never having it not feed correctly?

Thanks for the help...just unsure what terms to search for in looking for an answer.

DaGrinch

Bearcat
I'm no expert, however having used a semi for many years I can't see where one method is better than the other. I've chambered rounds both ways - never had anyone tell me one way was better for the weapon than the other. It might have to do with your wrist/grip when you manually rack the slide.

Experts?

aphawki

Bearcat
I could see the wrist grip being an issue. I will try to pay attention to how I am doing it next range trip. Just as a side note...once the first is chambered...I have NEVER had a single failure to feed during firing through the magazine.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I am certainly no expert, but think about the stresses of the slide being slammed back and then forward during normal firing operations. The slide being released, either by a crisp release from your fingers, or by releasing the lock back, should not be any more violent than the normal firing procedure. In fact, I would think it would have less velocity, if anything.

I have always been told not to baby the slide when chambering a round. Pull it back, and crisply release it to allow it to firmly strip a round.

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
aphawki said:
So my question is...Is letting a locked back slide slam forward to load the round bad on my gun?
No, absolutely not.

Letting the slide slam forward from full lock on an empty chamber, however, can damage many guns including 1911s. Dunno about your gun since you didn't say what it was, but whatever it is, letting it slam shut empty certainly doesn't do it any good.

But the slide running forward full-tilt and chambering a round (which actually has a braking effect on the speed of the slide) is exactly what it's designed and built to do. :wink:

aphawki

Bearcat
Thanks everyone for the help. Suppose what it is would help...it's my SR9c. Well good to know...yeah sure didn't think about the violent slamming during shooting...nice way for me to miss the main purpose for this machines being...I'm pretty observant like that.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
The potential issue with using the slide stop lever to release the locked slide is premature wear of the mating surfaces of slide and the slide stop.

I do not see such a warning in the manual. The manual does say to pull the slide to the rear and release it.

The slide stop lever was clearly designed to be pressed downward. I release the slide on mine that way and have no problems after 2 years and 6000 rounds.

aphawki

Bearcat
Ok good deal! Thank you everyone for helpful information...it's much appreciated!!!

clint_lnl

Bearcat
aphawki said:
It seems that with the cheaper ammo I am finding that if I manually rack the slide I get a round stuck trying to feed up the ramp.

I have found if I ride the slide forward I get the same thing. have been told to slingshot the slide forward ( pull back and let go ) and all good

1av8r

Bearcat
Agree with all that's been said and won't repeat. But, I have experienced the same issue with my SR9c and it always occurs when I fail to rack the slide all the way back before releasing. Make sure you have a good grip and rack it like you mean it.

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
Just a quick reminder- the slide-stop on the 9c is NOT a slide-release. The manual shows that specifically, it is only designed to lock it back. Truth be known, I use it as a release. At first it was pretty stiff, had to use both hands- now it's much easier, and in fact I habitually release it that way now.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
My SR9c has over 500 rounds through it. The slide lock will not release the slide when pushed. I would be a little concerned about using it as a slide release, if it loosens to the point it will allow that, because it is not designed to be used that way, and MAY cause premature wear to the mating surfaces.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Your problem may be the way you rack the slide manually. If you let it go forward "under control", i.e. let it close slowly, you have a good chance of not getting the round to chamber.

The proper way is to "slingshot" it by pulling the slide all the way back until it stops and then letting go completely. That way the slide closes under full spring pressure and at full speed just as it does when the gun is fired. It gives the same effect as using the slide release but without the potential to wear the release itself.

aphawki

Bearcat
Ok I see. Yeah actually thats what's been going on...I was riding the slide. Pretty much just not pulling back and like was said "racking it like I mean it!" (Which made me laugh pretty hard by the way), haven't made it back to the range to test it out but guessing that getting used to racking the slide properly will do the trick. Going tomorrow so will let you all know how it goes!! Thanks again for the awesome and always helpful information.

Think about what happens when you fire a round and the gun cycles.... the slide flies backwards at a high rate of speed then reverses and flies forward picking up a round and chambering it. You can't manually do it this hard and fast, no matter how you try.

Spart

Bearcat
Glad you figured it out. Riding the slide forward even a little can mess with the gun's function. The drag your fingers create when you hold it back and let go can be enough to slow the slide down and cause a problem. I find this to be especially true with hollowpoints.

I've gotten used to the slingshot method as others have mentioned - pull back hard until you feel resistance at which point you immediately let go, don't pause.

aphawki

Bearcat
Worked like a charm! 150 rounds of pure fun. The first round had just a bit of an issue...but right after that not a single problem! Rack it like you mean it advice taken.

Thanks for all the info and help. What an awesome gun...can't say enough about what an accurate fun gun to shoot.

Oh and just as an FYI that was 150 rounds of the cheap stuff without a single issue.