Army Photos...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Although I had a dandy camera as a GI, I took precious few photos of me in the Army...

These are photos of photos, taken by others. Hope you enjoy them, at least a little.

WAYNO.

Yours truly, and I needed a haircut.

One of our OH-58A's. My pilots took perverse pleasure in trying to make the crew airsick.

We only called them Slicks. Uh-1H.

A smoke break while in a vehicle convoy across the Cascades. That's me on the right.

Me again in the convoy across the mountains. Notice the starched fatigues?

AH-1G Cobra. Very low-tech by todays standards. We had no electronic target acquisition. The gunner had a reticle on his gun-turret control. The pilot had a reticle he used to aim the rockets or guns on the wing stores. What an absolute killing machine.

gatling said:
Those are great. I'm guessing the '70s? Where were they taken?

These were 73-75. The desert pictures are in Yakima Firing Center, Washington. Even during Vietnam, my unit was all desert trained and we were going to Israel, of all places. We were set to go, then the Army changed its mind.

WAYNO.

contender

Ruger Guru
Almost like looking at some of my old pics. I was doing similar stuff in 76-79. Thanks for sharing, it brought back memories.

gatling

Blackhawk
I was in Korea in the mid-70s as an air defense artillery dude. Cool photos. Thanks for posting.

Tnhunter

Bearcat
Great pics, thanks for sharing! I arrived at Ft Bragg as my first duty station after flight school in 1978 and became an initial member of a new attack company in the 82nd CAB. We got the (then) new AHI-S Cobras and also the new (then) OH-58Cs while I was in the unit. I was a scout pilot.

We also were lucky enough to do some of the very first live-fire JAATs (Joint Air Attack Team) working with squadrons of A-10s, then also pretty new in the Air Force inventory. It was great calling in live fire from artillery, Cobras shooting tow missiles and A-10s with their Gau-8s. I'd set up with an Air Force pilot working as a FAC in my helicopter with me and we'd call for whichever we wanted to shoot.

BearBio

Buckeye
YTC hasn't changed any. I'm doing the Integrated Natural Resources Management Plan (INRMP) for the base. The base has the last significant sage grouse population in Washington.

Hugh

Buckeye
Not YakiStan, but another time, another place.
gm36.jpg

Kinda small.

Sin6Sec63451022

Single-Sixer
"AH-1C Cobra. Very low tech by today's standards." Feeling old. I remember we carried one back from VN on an aircraft carrier in '71. It was all wrapped up in white plastic and ribboned off and guarded by the Marines! Top secret stuff in those days!!

LGC42

Single-Sixer
When I saw that Bailey bridge I said to my self thats the Yakima Fireing Center. It,s called the Yakima Training Center now. I spent many weekends out there from '64 to '70. I,ve also spent a lot of saturdays out there chasing chukers over those hills.