anyone own a GP100 Match champion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sash

Bearcat
I picked one up last night from the local pusher. Nice gun. I put a set of large Lett's on it and lightened the spring. It has a very smooth trigger, and is well-finished. Haven't had a chance to shoot it, yet, but I will this weekend. Overall, I am very satisfied. I plan to replace my main match gun with it this spring, and have every reason to believe it will perform as well or better. The barrel crown should, theoretically, make it a bit more accurate, but I've never had a complaint about a GP100's accuracy.

HiCap

Bearcat
I have one on order. Seeing that it comes with two front sights, one for use with .357's and one for .38's, I was wondering how to remove and replace the front sights. This model does not appear to have the plunger holding in the front sight, and therefore it looks like the sight has to be drifted every time one wants to replace it. So, if you know how, please let me know. Thanks.

HiCap

mat523

Single-Sixer
I definitely did not see a plunger in any of the photos. I believe the other sight is if you are using it to shoot .38's unfortunately, I think you have to chose one or the other. This revolver is high on my radar, but my knowledge is simply limited to the internet at this time.

HiCap

Bearcat
I will be shooting .38's 99% of the time. I wonder how much difference it will make at 21-30 feet.

HiCap

HiCap

Bearcat
So that means the sight would be higher than the one for the .357?

HiCap

coach

Hunter
Going by my 4" S&W .357 the point of aim and impact is virtually the same at 25 yes. I figure the higher velocity out of the barrel by the mag made it less affected by the recoil and it shot flatter. The .38 being slower was more affected by the recoil, but dropped a little more on the way to the target. Just my observation with my gun.

DPris

Buckeye
Front sight is driftable for windage or removal by tapping it either way or out in its dovetail.
Denis

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I e-mailed Ruger to see if the factory wood grip that comes on the Match Champion will be available as an aftermarket item for my standard GP-100. The answer was; "They are not available at this time. Please try at a later date." So, maybe they will be in the future. It will also be interesting to see what the cost will be.

DPris

Buckeye
They are not available now separately, but if there's sufficient demand they'll probably do it, according to a rep.
Denis

DPris

Buckeye
By the way- you can get the same grip from Hogue, checkered or smooth, no stippling. Stippling is a Ruger exclusive.
It's basically just their grooveless wood Monogrip.
Denis

22/45 Fan

Hunter
DPris said:
By the way- you can get the same grip from Hogue, checkered or smooth, no stippling. Stippling is a Ruger exclusive.
It's basically just their grooveless wood Monogrip.
Denis
Thanks. I thought it was just a specific finish on a Hogue standard grip but I hoped that if Ruger bough a bunch of them the cost would be lower than getting it from Hogue.

OnTheSide

Bearcat
Nice revolver. Went to the Ruger website to check the specs. Noticed right away that this beauty is not legal in MA nor CA. What? A six shooter is not legal in MA or CA?

sash

Bearcat
OnTheSide said:
Nice revolver. Went to the Ruger website to check the specs. Noticed right away that this beauty is not legal in MA nor CA. What? A six shooter is not legal in MA or CA?
I believe it just hasn't completed the testing yet.

sgtb

Bearcat
I just got one in and no extra sight in case. Curious to hear if others get the extra sight with theirs. It did come with a brass pin in a Baggie. No clue what this is for.

HiCap

Bearcat
I would guess it is to be used in drifting out the existing sight to be replaced by the one you didn't get but should have. I'd call Ruger for the missing sight.

HiCap