Anybody that can do repairs/mods on Ruger SA hammers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I knew a gunsmith once that used to be able to make half cock notches on standard Ruger SA hammers (Wes Flowers) but he has made his exodus. Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to do, just weld a small bead on the front of the hammer and cut a "notch". Anybody know of anyone that can do this? I also have a SBH hammer that needs repair - somebody filed it down too far and it needs to be welded back up then filed to the original factory specs Anybody know of anyone that can do these repairs/mods?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I would just replace the Super Blackhawk hammer with a new one. :D

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/841361/ruger-hammer-assembly-ruger-super-blackhawk-hunter-stainless-steel

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You could buy a new hammer in SS and have it blued (yes SS can be blued) cheaper and easier than having the notch rebuilt, even if you could find someone that does it.
There's no liability issue, it's just that Ruger hammers are so cheap to buy new compared to Colts!

Several Colt smiths rebuild Colt hammer notches. It runs about $60 per notch.

A NM Ruger hammer only has the full cock notch which is simple to fix if you can just get someone to tig weld it; build it up with hard rod (won't even have to harden it), and then stone back to the depth you want.

I've done a few old model Ruger hammers, they're getting hard to find. I suppose before long, smiths will set up with a jig to do OM Ruger hammers; maybe the Colt smiths.

Ogelsby and Ogelsby in Illinois repaired a notch on an OM for me without difficulty.

I let someone handle my 7.5 Clements Custom .44 spl and to my horror saw him try to see how fast he could cycle the action like he may have seen in cowboy movies.

Cost was 180. They hand installed a Clements wide trigger and fitted it to the hammer. The previous owner had removed the Clements hammer and trigger before I bought it...finally realised why a perfect revolver had such an ordinary action.

Either shop can do what you need. Excellent trigger pull now.

Latest posts