Anybody heard anything inre: Boberg?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NixieTube

Blackhawk
My apologies in advance to the moderators because this isn't a "Boberg forum" but it *is* a semiauto forum and I'd like to ask:

Has anyone heard anything new about this pistol, the Boberg XR9-S?

boberg_xr9s_shorty_subcompact_pistol_1.jpg

Boberg Arms.

They were at the SHOT show in 2008 and produced at least one functional prototype of what was presumed by many in 2009/10 to be a production pistol - at least, as soon as they could start producing them. The hallmark is a radical redesign of the feed system which allows a long barrel length in an ultracompact 9mm. There was enough going on there to get me intrigued, at least, about their design's benefits.

All of a sudden after ~ January, 2010 there hasn't been much activity at their website, in terms of ordering or sales or anything else. They decided not to participate in SHOT 2011, but somewhat paradoxically, only because it would delay shipment of their guns! And yet, I've heard very little else about them and large parts of their website haven't been updated in a long time. Is there any "there" there?

I looked at it just from a "gadget guy" perspective and thought: "Hmm. Wonder if they can actually make that work?"

Has anyone heard anything about or from them? Are they waiting for some larger manufacturer to buy the design? Have they run out of steam? What do you think of the technical merits of the pistol? The feed mechanism is complicated and unconventional to say the least, but that doesn't mean it won't work. I suspect the real issue is cost in an already crowded field of "mouse guns" not necessarily technical merit. The interesting thing in the abstract is that this is a "mouse gun" that promises full-size muzzle energy *and* a soft recoil, which would truly be an advance.

So what's up with it?

Boge

Single-Sixer
I think it's a neat design, however I think they don't have the capital to come to market. I have seen two prices bantered about and the 2nd one was MORE than a Rorbaugh = $1,000 +. If so, it will die a quick death IMO.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Boge said:
I think it's a neat design, however I think they don't have the capital to come to market. I have seen two prices bantered about and the 2nd one was MORE than a Rorbaugh = $1,000 +. If so, it will die a quick death IMO.

Yeah, I have the same feeling, unless someone picks up the design and buys it from them. It's got to be hard to be a manufacturing company of innovative firearms composed of just a few people. Entirely new design = lots of questions, lots of work with customers, lots of headaches. Heck, you'd have to invent a totally new nomenclature just to adequately describe, diagnose and fix feed problems on that gun. The bullet moves backward and upward and *then* forward into the chamber. Customer service alone would take several people to handle without ticking people off, once a few thousand guns were in the market. Unless you can get people willing to work for free, that's a problem...

It's kind of a classic dilemma: good ideas, maybe not enough capital to get over the organizational/institutional "hump" and start taking advantage of production economies of scale and make enough money to stay alive.

Still, I applaud Arne Boberg for taking his ideas and actually making a functioning gun (or several) based on them. People can see from the videos and pictures that it fires bullets, and it's definitely a new take on an old problem. I hope it gets more legs somehow. He needs an "angel investor" or perhaps a buyout ;).

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Ruger Packer said:
Now that is UGLY!!! :shock:

What's that about beauty being in the eye of the beholder :lol:? I think a lot of people said a lot of the same things about the original Honda scooters, too...remember those ads? "You meet the nicest people on a Honda?"

Or how about this?

viewmotorcyclehonda35.jpeg

Those ugly little Honda scooters. Spindly, fragile looking. And look, it's a "girl's bike" too :lol: in addition to having "the power of a Cape Buffalo" from that little 50cc four-stroke engine. Look at Honda now.

Of course, this is also an *expensive* gun, not a cheap one, so it's a little different. Still, that Trail 50 MSRPd for $275 back in 1962, which would be about $2,000 today. Would you spend $2,000 on that Trail 50 right now? People bought them for that back then, and it was one of the products that got Honda started in the USA.

And they could always change the cosmetics if they make a dent in the market.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
Was looking for something else and stumbled across this....

http://www.thegunsource.com/item/85658_Magnum_Research_Hand_Guns_Pistols_Magnum_ME380_Micro_Desert.aspx

WillRuss

Bearcat
http://www.bobergarms.com/

Based on the website, and the posting that they're looking for CNC operators, it looks like they're ramping up for production.