Any Bersa Thunder Owners Out There?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

modrifle3

Buckeye
So thanks to Rev's praise of the .380 I started looking at options. I was going to the range to give the LCP one more run when a guy had a Bersa Thunder. Looked pretty nice and there was no offer to shoot it. Any body own one? My research says they are not bad and modeled after the ppk.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I've never actually owned one .... Very close, but never bought it back when you could buy the two tone ones for right about $200, but I've shot several. They are quality guns, feel like real guns, are unchanged for decades, and reliable as rocks. If you hold a BT380 in one hand and an LC Whatever in the other, you'll just laugh. And I regularly carry a KT P3AT, so I know the difference. Can't get away from the weight though, if that bothers you. For civilian protection, the LC Whatever type guns are just fine, as long as you realize their limits, which is beyond about 7 yards. Pretty tough to prove self defense beyond that for most civilian encounters.

LOL .... I was typing this as the previous post was posted. Jeff's review pretty much echoes what I wrote as well.

They're great guns, and are quite useable at the range for things like steel shoots and target shooting at reasonable distances, which the LCWhatevers are NOT.

The 380 is a nice caliber for civilian use. Soft shooting, controllable, accurate, and effective with the right ammo. No mall ninja would carry 'a puny 380' though ... :roll:

REV

noquarter

Single-Sixer
Another + here. Very well made little pistol. The tolerances are tight, so things feel stiff when new. Bersa recommends 2-300 rounds to break it in. 500 is even better. Everything gets smooth as glass. If I had to do it again, I would get the Plus (15 round) v the standard (7 round). Same size, but holds more. Mine doesn't like Sellier and Belliot 380. Fails to feed 1 round out of 14. I think it's the bullet they use since I have some commercial reloads using their cases with different bullets that work fine. It eats Tula all day for cheap plinkers. I carry Hydra shock for social work.

revhigh

Hawkeye
modrifle3 said:
You know you guys are making it hard to not buy on. I like heavy guns.

It's not that heavy, but heavier than an LCWhatever.

About like my FEG PA63's, but they're 9x18.

Go for it !

REV

Jim Puke

Hunter
I really like mine.

I really like my LCP, also. They are very different guns, but either will do you proud.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I just need a small carry gun and don't want any more poly frame guns right now. Looks like new ones can be had out the door under $300 which is less than the LCP here.

Gregg1LE

Single-Sixer
I own a .380 Bersa Thunder and a Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact. Both are 100% reliable and very accurate.

groberts

Single-Sixer
I have both the Bersa Thunder 380 and the Ruger LC380. Both have lasers - the Ruger has the Laserlyte that is on the side and the Bersa has the Crimson Trace grip. The Bersa is more comfortable to shoot and at 15 feet holds a 2 inch spread versus 3 for the Ruger. Note that the Bersa laser does NOT fit the CC or Plus. If you don't care about laser sights the CC is slightly smaller that the standard BT 380 and holds one more round.
Note, I used to have a BT 380 Plus and traded it for the Ruger. That 15 round magazine is restricted in so many states it's just not worth the hassle. I have 2 spare magazines and if I can't do what I need to do with 22 rounds I'll be dead anyway.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
Dang great guns...anytime I'm at a LGS ..I look for a godd used one ..sometimes you can find one ,priced great...
I've owned a half dozen or more in the past decade ..Always had great luck ....but I end up trading them off....for one thing or another...

mcoe74

Bearcat
I own a Bersa Thunder 380CC that I bought a few years ago. Great pistol for CCW and seems well built. Only one malfunction I had was with the magazine disconnect spring after I had first bought it. I sent it to Colorado Gun Works, they made the repairs, and had it back within 10 days.

GKC

Blackhawk
I've owned two Bersa guns in my time: a Bersa Thunder 380 and a BP9CC. I liked the Thunder 380, but just decided to standardize on 9mm and .45 calibers. I didn't care for the BP9CC...the trigger was the lightest I've ever felt on any gun...it couldn't have been 3 pounds. It was scary on a gun with no safety, so I didn't keep it. Magazines were hard to find for both guns when I had them.

Bersa gets good marks for reliability and customer service.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I found 3 all black models with wrap around rubber grips yesterday for $350. I would have jumped on it but just spent a good bit on setting up my reloading table and it still need a turret press.

revhigh

Hawkeye
modrifle3 said:
I found 3 all black models with wrap around rubber grips yesterday for $350. I would have jumped on it but just spent a good bit on setting up my reloading table and it still need a turret press.

I'd buy a used one for $200-250.

$350 is a lot for a Bersa 380, IMO.

REV

Rei40c

Blackhawk
GKC said:
I didn't care for the BP9CC...the trigger was the lightest I've ever felt on any gun...it couldn't have been 3 pounds. It was scary on a gun with no safety, so I didn't keep it.

I love my BP9cc dearly, but had the same concern and decided after much debate not to carry it for the same reason. I am keeping mine, at least for now. Its a joy to shoot very accurate and I love that trigger, at the range I love the trigger I should say.