A few from my album.

Son's first Trap in the E-2C Hawkeye
View attachment 5649

Doing a little Formation while at Kingsville

View attachment 5650
While I was on a Tiger Cruise when Son was Air Boss of the USS Nimitz

View attachment 5651
View attachment 5652

Those are good ones also, but I do admit my favorite story about the U.S.S. Nimitz was from years ago that I posted up here a long time ago when they hosted and made a Make A Wish for a young man with leukemia(IIRC) honorary CO of the ship:

Shamus2022

Single-Sixer
A little history on "That's All, Brother"
Mission: Normandy

Over 75 years ago, on June 6, 1944, That's All, Brother led the main airborne invasion of Normandy. Piloted by Lt. Col John Donalson, the plane led over 800 C-47s that dropped over 13,000 paratroopers into a battle that changed the course of mankind. 75 years later, we were able to bring this great airplane back to the skies over Normandy for the commemoration of the 75th anniversary of D-Day.

Nearly Lost Forever

After serving on D-Day, and in Operations Dragoon, Market Garden, Repulse, and Varsity, the airplane returned to the United States and was sold to the civilian market in 1945. During the course of many owners over the next several decades, the historical significance of the airplane was lost and it was eventually sold to be scrapped. Fortunately, two historians from the United States Air Force discovered that this historic airplane was lying in a boneyard in Wisconsin. The Commemorative Air Force was able to acquire the airplane, and through a large group of donors and volunteers, restore the airplane to flying status.

C-47 is one of my fav's - we had the last flying C-2 when I was in the Army..crashed and burned in '62.....
I resigned my commission in the CONFEDERATE AIR FORCE (B-29 FIFI) when they caved to the 'cancel culture' crowd....

Shamus2022

Single-Sixer
Here's another FAV pic. I had the distinct pleasure to know Gen. Paul Tibbets. We went sporting clays shooting and enjoyed talking about aircraft and WW2. I never asked about dropping the Bomb. He was a Great person. One of my Hero's!View attachment 5898
Interesting... I knew Gen Sweeny (Bock's Car) thru my crewing on FIFI. He also lived 'next door' in NH.

dannyd

Hunter
The New Naval Air Museum in Pensacola open about 10 months before I got stationed their. Admiral Byrd's C-47 was sitting in a lot access from our barracks. It was falling apart had no wings and full of wasp. Can't believe how it looks now.

5C9525FC-B802-48F0-9D68-D30CB0162EB1.jpeg

pyth0n

Buckeye
Ahh! a kindred spirit. And another fan of the P-40. One of the most under appreciated aircraft of WWII. While folks were trying to figure out the P-38, P-51, P-47 and others the P-40 was rolling off the assembly line and into the air forces of every member of the Allied nations.
I read a number of accounts that said below 15k feet she could hold her own against most of the fighters of the day. I just thought she was the coolest looking, especially with the shark teeth.

We were hauling the Adjutant General of Maryland around on a tour in a Huey. We were talking about the different aircraft the Army and the Air Force had flown just in Maryland. He said the F-86 was a flying sports car.
Yep My neighbor's dad flew P-51s at the tail end of WWII and F-86s in Korea. He said after flying the 86 you will throw rocks at a 51. The 86 is a Fighters fighter. Not another true fighter came along until the F-15. Not a pound for ground in the beginning. Both incredible Fighters.

g5m

Blackhawk
I read a number of accounts that said below 15k feet she could hold her own against most of the fighters of the day. I just thought she was the coolest looking, especially with the shark teeth.
A friend of mine had a P-40. One time he was talking to one of his friends who had a P-51 and they decided to dogfight. They were below 15,000 feet and the P-40 bested the P-51 completely. He later was talking to a WW2 vet about it and that vet said (IIRC) "Of course! You were fighting the P-40's fight!". Interesting stuff.

The P-40 was what we had until better planes came into production the P-38 being one of them. Yes the AVG Flying Tigers did well with the P-40 but they also flew against Jap Army Pilots and Nakajima Ki-43 "Oscars" rather than Navy Pilots with Zeros and they used the right tactics for the P-40
In the book "Race of Aces" when the P-38 was first introduced in the SW Pacific Area none of the P-40 guys thought it could out fight the 40 since it was a BIG Fighter. So a competition between the two was displayed down low so it could be viewed. The best pilots were chosen from both units. The 38 won 3 out of 3 times.
Also IF the 38 was flown RIGHT none of the Jap planes could out fight it. Not so with the P-40. Remember both of the US high scoring Aces flew P-38s. P-47s were also flown in the area but it also had it's problems range being one of them.
If you want a great book of how the pilots had to live and fight in a horrible jungle atmosphere read ROAs. Bong was a jerk and had few if any friends. Not so with Tommy McGuire. McGuire was killed trying to save his wingman.
Bottom line the P-38 was the right plane in the right place at the right time in the SW Pacific with a fine leader Gen. Geo Kenney.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
The P-40 was what we had until better planes came into production the P-38 being one of them. Yes the AVG Flying Tigers did well with the P-40 but they also flew against Jap Army Pilots and Nakajima Ki-43 "Oscars" rather than Navy Pilots with Zeros and they used the right tactics for the P-40
In the book "Race of Aces" when the P-38 was first introduced in the SW Pacific Area none of the P-40 guys thought it could out fight the 40 since it was a BIG Fighter. So a competition between the two was displayed down low so it could be viewed. The best pilots were chosen from both units. The 38 won 3 out of 3 times.
Also IF the 38 was flown RIGHT none of the Jap planes could out fight it. Not so with the P-40. Remember both of the US high scoring Aces flew P-38s. P-47s were also flown in the area but it also had it's problems range being one of them.
If you want a great book of how the pilots had to live and fight in a horrible jungle atmosphere read ROAs. Bong was a jerk and had few if any friends. Not so with Tommy McGuire. McGuire was killed trying to save his wingman.
Bottom line the P-38 was the right plane in the right place at the right time in the SW Pacific with a fine leader Gen. Geo Kenney.
I beleive germans called it ,"the forked tail devil" A lot of firepower in that nose!

g5m

Blackhawk
One other veteran I knew flew P-40's in China. He went in with the Army when they took over for the Flying Tigers and by then the P-40 was relegated to low altitude and ground attack roles. There weren't very many Japanes planes around and he said they were mostly attacking boats/ships. He told me of once he was diving on a Japanes boat on a river and was going to drop bombs but pulled the wrong lever and dropped fuel tank(s?) instead and his wingman saw what had happened so strafed the tanks on the way down and set them on fire, dropping burning gasoline on the boat instead. It could sound like a 'tale' he said but then he pulled out an old clip from "Stars and Stripes" that told the story. He also said that the P-40 was a "very stable" gun platform.

To me those vets were just great people. I'm an old guy and have met WW2 vets (combat and not) from both sides of the European Theater and the Pacific theater. Amazing stories and memories for me.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
The F8 is one of mine...... It doesn't get the fanfare..... There is a really great documentary on youtube...
I can't attach a pic because windows only downloads as .jfif files......

dannyd

Hunter
F-8 would kill you on the flight deck of the carrier if you weren't real careful. Her tail pipe was about 10 inches off the deck and when she turned or waddled over arresting gear wire she could take your legs right out from under you. One night I ended up in the nets on #3 elevator I was beat up but a least didn't go for a swim. ;)

Latest posts