And Now The Fun Starts

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Musical instrument Bicycle part Music Sports equipment Pipe

A very good friend gifted me with this Ruger 10-22 after I hinted that I wanted one for Steel Challenge matches. It's equipped with a Clark 16 inch competition .92 barrel, Hogue Over Molded Stock and Simmons 8 X 34 scope. Now I get to buy all the accessories needed for a Speed gun.

I asked the top shooters in my club and they gave me hints. First thing to replace would be the barrel. Something light weight would work best and one of them offered me a TACCOM3G barrel that has 5 inches or rifling and 16 inches of shroud. It weights less than a pound and should be fast on those transitions.

Lots of options on the trigger which should be next. Volquartsen and Kidd were on the top of the list but I don't think I'll be shooting to win since I'm 72 and shoot from a wheelchair. It's all for fun. Next suggested was the Ruger BX Trigger. Guaranteed to be between 2.5 and 3 pounds. I have an old trigger from a build I made 15 years ago and it's 3.3 pounds but I ordered the BX just in case.

I needed 3 more magazines, some springs and mag pouches and found all but the pouches at MidwayUSA.Com.

Next was a new sight. Well, new to the build but I have on hand a C-More Railway with 12 minute dot that will go on the Picatinny rail that I ordered. Notice in the picture the Simmons.

All the parts should be here Thursday. I'm going to the range tomorrow to see how well it shoot in it's current format. Then the transitions will take over. I'm bringing a box of CCI Blazers, Federal 525 pack .36 inch plated bullets, a box of Eley Club, CCI Standard Velocity and Wolf ME. When I'm done I'll put away the barrel, scope and trigger for when I die and give the gun to my friend's daughter.

I'll show off the final results when it's completed.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I'm taking it to the range today to check it out. I did put an old trigger that I had from a previous build in today. It's 3.3 pounds compared to 6.5 that it came with.

A friend is giving me a new light weight barrel and maybe a Kidd trigger. He says they are just laying around in his closet so if he can find them I can have them.

Boy, it's great to have good friends.

Last edited:

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I shot it today, it's great. I fired these groups from 25 yards with a decent front rest but no rear rest. Rifle positioned with magazine on rest Kind of wobbly but I got some decent groups.

I expect to have a new barrel by Saturday.

Here's the best.

Attachments

• CCI SV  Group 1 Glenn's rifle.jpeg
    CCI SV Group 1 Glenn's rifle.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Tac 22 wtih Glenn's rifle.jpeg
    Tac 22 wtih Glenn's rifle.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Best.jpeg
    Best.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 30

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Well, today I got to shoot it with the barrel my friend gave me. It's a Tactical Solutions 16 inch barrel but only the first 11 inches are rifled. I put a C-More Railway red dot on it and it's spot on out to 25 yards, the furthest the indoor range goes. That should still keep me on target at 35.

Shot 150 rounds. I fired it Wednesday and the scope mount came loose so I needed to re set everything for Sunday's Steel Challenge Match.

I'm shooting Distinguished Senior and from my wheelchair, just can't walk that far anymore, so I'm there to have fun. It's got to be fun for me to go out in the cold. Only expected to be 60 degrees by the end of the match. That's cold for us desert rats.

Attachments

• Complete With TacSoll Barrel.jpeg
    Complete With TacSoll Barrel.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts