An Old Berns-Martin Holster For An Old Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
Someone on another forum found this remodeled break front left handed Berns-Martin holster in a gunshop junk box and gave it to me. Notice how someone extended it way back when. It was very nice of him and shows why it's always a good thing to dig through all those beat up Hunter and various other holsters and see what's underneath. You never know what's buried in there. It's very old and me, being a big Elmer Keith fan,was thrilled to get it. My 6.5" S&W fits great but I like this 1969 Blackhawk .357 (6.5") better. It fits tight around the trigger guard but it'll work. I have to make a basketweave belt with loops and I'll be all set. I think Elmer would approve of this outfit.

DSCN0940.jpg

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
Otony said:
I officially hate you!

Been wanting a Berns-Martin for nigh onto 40+ years, and here you waltz into one that is left handed....sigh.
I bought one cut down B-M holster last year in an antique shop for $17 then sold it. Other than that, I've NEVER seen one for sale, let alone left handed. Here's my cut down Colt New Service in a B-M that was loaned to me once. I take it you are a member of that last opressed minority, Left Handers!!

img031.jpg

alkpon

Bearcat
Interesting......yrs ago I carried a 5" S&W Mod. 27 in similar breakfront holster as deputy sheriff in Tx. Think it was a Tex Shumaker. He was retired L.A. Sheriff's Deputy. Don't know about Elmer, but, it was favorite of Charley Askins, an equally famous gun writer and Border Patrolman.
Rode kinda' high for me and "draws" sorta finicky.
Check Charles Askins for more info. He is one who popularized for law enforcement.

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
alkpon said:
Interesting......yrs ago I carried a 5" S&W Mod. 27 in similar breakfront holster as deputy sheriff in Tx. Think it was a Tex Shumaker. He was retired L.A. Sheriff's Deputy. Don't know about Elmer, but, it was favorite of Charley Askins, an equally famous gun writer and Border Patrolman.
Rode kinda' high for me and "draws" sorta finicky.
Check Charles Askins for more info. He is one who popularized for law enforcement.
In an old 1950's Gun Digest I have that belonged to my dad, there's a hip shooting article by Askins and he's using a left handed B-M holster with a 4" S&W N Frame .357. It's a Registered Magnum from the 30's that looks engraved. Lots of great pictures of him in action.

alkpon

Bearcat
I don't think Elmer was ever into front-breaks. He was big SA and S&W 29, etc. Charley Askins was. I came onto scene, mid-term. Most of my career was revolvers. Early 70's to late 90's. Skeeter Skelton days.
I think the Berns-Martin was long gone. As I posted, am almost sure mine was Shoemaker. Then, Safariland, got into Front Breaks. Then, the Level 2, Level 3 retention. (Open thumb break, push down, then pull forward).
I went back to Don Hume holster with L-Frame or N-frame. Way quicker than wrestling your pants off doing the jig. Good 'ol days.

COR

Blackhawk
alkpon said:
I don't think Elmer was ever into front-breaks. He was big SA and S&W 29, etc. Charley Askins was. I came onto scene, mid-term. Most of my career was revolvers. Early 70's to late 90's. Skeeter Skelton days.
I think the Berns-Martin was long gone. As I posted, am almost sure mine was Shoemaker. Then, Safariland, got into Front Breaks. Then, the Level 2, Level 3 retention. (Open thumb break, push down, then pull forward).
I went back to Don Hume holster with L-Frame or N-frame. Way quicker than wrestling your pants off doing the jig. Good 'ol days.

Well sir I willl have to respectfully say you are completely incorrect about Elmer and the Berns Martin rigs. I would suggest you review the chapter in Sixguns by Keith on Quick Draw and Hip Shooting. Take a very close look at page 162, 163, and also 165.

You can't get away with that kinda jazz with us "Elmer disciples" :wink:

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
COR, my reference to Elmer keith was based on those pictures in SIXGUNS that you're talking about, where he uses a two gun B-M rig with a Triple Lock Target on one side and an Outdoorsman S&W on the other. John Taffin did an article in Am. Handgunner about a pair of 5 1/2" Colt SAA's with target sights and stag grips that belonged to Keith. He traded them to a guy for a double gun to take to Africa. Those two Colts were traded with a B-M two gun basketweave rig that they rode in and Keith used.
Personally, it'll take some time getting used to using this holster. The effort to push forward seems to take more work than pullin' a gun out the top of a standard holster. But guys like Keith and Askins knew their...er, stuff, so it's worth playing around with. And it's just such an old classic design.

COR

Blackhawk
That's a great holster for history's sake...I'll keep my eyes peeled...it's another of my Holy Grail kinda items...such as a King mirrored front sight or a TLA #5 (when I can afford one).

Thanks for sharing that with us!

Lamey Knives

Bearcat
I "had" 2 complete belt/holster Berns Martin rigs for N frames that i stupidly sold years ago. They were extremely well made, well designed and just felt "right". Also had a shoulder rig for a J frame, all were "split" top holsters and in my experience were very fast to on the release while at the same time serving to really protect the pistol.