Ameriglo SR9/SR40 sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HuttoAg96

Bearcat
I tried them and found they shoot 4-4.5" low at 10 yards on my SR9C. I contacted Ameriglo and they told me they got identical feedback from someone else, and they are currently making a rear sight block 0.07 inches higher to correct the issue. I should hopefully have the replacement rear sight in about a week. (Great customer service on their part).

Other than the calibration issue, I REALLY like the sight picture (I got the 833 with the yellow rear and green front tubes). The front sight is also a little narrower making it easier to get a precision sight picture. So long as I can get an accurate set of sights, I'll be pretty happy with them.

pevadijk

Bearcat
I guess mine shoots a bit low too. But since the sights have cost me well over $100 with shipping and customs (I don't want to deal with customs again) I don't plan on replacing the rear, I'll just shorten the front a bit.

BTW, the front sight is quite tricky to install because of the very thin base.

Pictures when I'm back from work ;-)

Simms65

Bearcat
I'm pretty sure I was the other person. I bought two sets and both cause me to shoot quite low at 25 yards. Rick @ Ameriglo was very pleasant to talk to and he has promised me two new rear sights. The quality of the sights are excellent and I like the sight picture.

pevadijk

Bearcat
This is how it looks.
sr9_1.jpg

sr9_2.jpg

sr9_3.jpg

HuttoAg96

Bearcat
Simms65, that was probably you then. I also dealt with Rick. Great customer service so far.

Incidentally, the gunsmith that put the sights on (a reputable gunsmith in Austin) told me that night sights are designed such that the front dot COVERS UP the target, instead of the typical 6 o'clock sight picture. Hopefully the new set of sights will "fix" that.

Simms65

Bearcat
Every modern pistol I've shot with 3 dot or Heine style dot sights has a sight picture that includes covering what you want to hit of the target with the front sight. All black target sights can be a 6 o'clock hold depending on the model.

The factory SR9/SR9c sights are definitely a cover the target with the front sight dot style of sights.

HuttoAg96

Bearcat
Interesting... so your experience with the ameriglo's on the sr9(c?) was that even with a dot-over-target sight picture, it was shooting low?

I need to go back to the range and see how it is shooting if I put the dot OVER the target. That will take some getting used to...

Simms65

Bearcat
I'm interested in hearing your results.

I put the factory rear sight back on both of my SR9s, and now I'm shooting POA=POI again. Rick is going to send me two of the new taller rear sights as soon as they are manufactured.

I measured the fronts and all 4 (both factory and both Ameriglo) were identical in height from the sight base to the center of the dot. Measuring the rear sights the same way, both Ameriglo rear sights were almost exactly 0.07" shorter. I have a feeling that the original 330 series SR9 slides had a slightly shallower rear dovetail, and that's where Ameriglo's data came from.

HuttoAg96

Bearcat
Interesting observation - that mirrors what Rick said about calculating that the new rears need to be .07" higher. I'm going to put the factory rear on as well as soon as I get with my neighbor with a drill press, so I can drill out the set screw on the current rear (thanks again, mr. gunsmith...)

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
that looks heavy! (as they said in the 80s)
also looks heavy duty!
i like em....

i am interested in hearing if the POA POI issues get resolved...

they look nice

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
Simms65 said:
Every modern pistol I've shot with 3 dot or Heine style dot sights has a sight picture that includes covering what you want to hit of the target with the front sight. All black target sights can be a 6 o'clock hold depending on the model.

The factory SR9/SR9c sights are definitely a cover the target with the front sight dot style of sights.

Good information. Thank you.

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
HuttoAg96 said:
Interesting... so your experience with the ameriglo's on the sr9(c?) was that even with a dot-over-target sight picture, it was shooting low?

I need to go back to the range and see how it is shooting if I put the dot OVER the target. That will take some getting used to...

That is how I was taught to shoot in the Army.

exavid

Hunter
The sight picture I've used for over 55 years including while in the army was to put the intended POI right on top of the front sight. It's worked well over the years when hunting and worked fine in the army where I qualified expert with the M1911 and M14. Not that shooting expert level in the army was really all that difficult.