alaskan 480 5 shot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

98Redline

Blackhawk
AKDRSS said:
Why would a new barrel be needed? I thought the 475 and 480 were the same diameter.

My reason for the new barrel was I thought he was asking about a .475 with a longer barrel as opposed to the snubbie of the Alaskan.

it probably is the rarest production made gun ever commercially produced and worth its wieght in gold.

Looks like the Alaskan weighs 44 ounces. And gold is $1654 an ounce right now. Anybody wants to step up and offer the man $72,776... I'm guessing he would take it.

I love it when people say things like that.

It _might_ be worth its weight in silver. That would be $1375. A little more reasonable.

Gregg

bigboredad

Blackhawk
I am a little curious as to why you need a 475 so bad. Does that mean you have shot the heaviest loads the .480 and it wasn't enough power. Are you aware of how close the .480 is to the .475. One more question is that just because you couldn't get what you want and you disagree with a company that has never been sold and is always in the black that makes them a democrat? I have listened to and tried to understand what the pres. of smith wesson says and that accent of his just gives me a headache. So if want to start comparing Ruger to smith and wesson you might get a little more flogged then Tek would for his loads but at least he knows what he is talking about

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
Ruger has a reputation for having the best customer service in the industry. They care what the customer thinks. They have a link to send a question or comment directly to the CEO.

What other company even half the size of Sturm, Ruger has the CEO working the show floor all day long at SHOT and NRA? What other gun company of any size has their CEO working a grand opening or an annual sales event at various local gun shops around the nation?

Go to a national show like the NRA Annual Meetings, and Ruger will have the CEO, plant managers, sales executives, marketing executives, and engineers on the floor to answer questions. Most other companies just have sales people in the booth, and they change them more often than they change underwear.

The person who did not answer the questions did so because he or she did not have that information, and if if he or she did, were instructed to keep that information private. You could have simply been told "none of your business", or like with most corporations, had to listen to an automated voice.

I have never seen a major company the size of Sturm, Ruger with the dedication and desire to please the customer as the folks at Ruger. I don't own any Ruger stock, as it would be a conflict of interest in my job, but if I did, I would be grinning like a mule eating briars.

I have one of the five-shot 480 Alaskan revolvers. I do not care how many were made nor what it is worth. It is not for sale. It is for shooting. Lots of meat between those chambers.

DSC04119.jpg

Floridaoutdoors

Single-Sixer
We have come to assume five shot means compact.

If this is simply a five hole version of six shot.........yawn.

tek4260

Buckeye
Floridaoutdoors said:
We have come to assume five shot means compact.

If this is simply a five hole version of six shot.........yawn.

Cartridges like the 480 and the 475 weren't designed to be compact, they were designed to be powerful. That five hole cylinder gives me piece of mind not only from the extra "meat", but from the offset bolt notches. Six shot single actions have the notches in the thinnest part of the cylinder.

Here is a pic I borrowed from Sixshot. Note how thin the cylinder is at the bolt notch....

100_3237.jpg

Pretty scary.

My 480:

Untitled-3.jpg

Not scary :)

turbojock

Bearcat
ok, great, so your an insider. thanks for the info. i appreciate it. any chance ruger will re introduce the 480? what do you think?

turbojock

Bearcat
i do feel the same as mr quinn, yes, i do have a 5 shot 480, and i love it, i have every peice of it, just the way it came from the factory, literature, box, info, spent case, everything. i would not consider modifying it or selling it or anything.

i do think that it is the holy grail of ruger firearms.

there will probably never be another production run peice so rare by ruger or anyone else for that matter.

and it is sweet to shoot on top of everything else and i do shoot it plenty.

but it was disapointing to call ruger and ask "how many of them are there?" and them to say they didnt know. i knew that was BS and so would anybody else, and it ticked me off.

i never said that they were not a fortune 500 company, and i never said that thier customer service was bad. i never said that they didnt donate money to support our 2A rights and i dont think that they are the bad guys.

they were short with me, they did blow me off and i did leave a message for the ceo with no response.

but i also understand loyalty, and there seems to be severeral that are loyal, and thats ok. as i said, i didnt get on here to discuss politics. and i have no feelings towards ruger, good or bad. just though that my experience with them was weird.

i really do appreciate all your input and the info that everyone has given me. its nice to know that there are people that you have something in common with and i do appologize for the reactions that my views cause, but i cannot appologize for my views themselves.

ed

turbojock

Bearcat
there are several on this forum that know a lot about the 480 and thanks for all your input. it is much appreciated.

the 480 SRH that i have is brushed stainless and all the ones i see lately are target grey.

is ther any difference in the metal or strength? or differences in the gun at all?

5of7

Hunter
Jeff Quinn said:
I don't own any Ruger stock, as it would be a conflict of interest in my job, but if I did, I would be grinning like a mule eating briars.

You know at one time I owned 6500 shares of RGR that I had bought for various prices of from $19 to $6, but when they cut their dividend I dumped it all for $10 or so a share.......oops. :oops: I see it is now over $50 and climbing.

As to re-chambering to .475 L, it is unnecessary if all you want to do is shoot .475 L loads in a 480.

All you have to do is seat the bullet to the same overall length as that bullet would be seated in a .475 L case and you have the same thing. The difference in pressure between the two is not that much anyway (nor is the ballistics).

I shoot the 365 gr. cast bullet to a good honest 1200 fps in my 480 and if I wanted to shoot the 400 grainers I could get around 1100 fps with them. I just don't see the point of changing anything for the sake of paper ballistics.

BUT....that is just me... 8)

tek4260

Buckeye
5of7 said:
All you have to do is seat the bullet to the same overall length as that bullet would be seated in a .475 L case and you have the same thing. The difference in pressure between the two is not that much anyway (nor is the ballistics).

That works until you load the same boolit in the 475 case and add the extra capacity to it too.

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
tek4260 said:
5of7 said:

That works until you load the same boolit in the 475 case and add the extra capacity to it too.

With either, you will run out of cylinder length before you run out of case capacity. If you are able to get a good hold on the bullet to prevent it from jumping the crimp, one case is as good as the other.

Jeff

Wrangler John

Bearcat
My two .480 Rugers, one a SRH and the other a 5 shot converted Blackhawk are the most consistently accurate big bore revolvers I have experienced. Interestingly, when the .480 Ruger was introduced John Taffin wrote an article covering the SRH. I was working up load data at the same time. Taffin's results were within 4 fps of mine for certain loads! That is consistency given our different locations (altitude, air pressure, temperature, etc.) Taffin went on to take a bison with his revolver, where the bullet shot through the bison dropping it handily.

The .480 Ruger loads closely approximate the energy of the .45-70 factory loading suitable for period rifles.

In my opinion, the .480 Ruger is a truly unsung cartridge and should have had greater success in the marketplace. However, people being what they are, the spotlight fell on the .475 Linebaugh and larger hand canons. Truth is that the .480 Ruger is about all the handgun most people can handle, and may be too much for most. The recoil forces of these large bores are extremely detrimental to fire over time, causing repetitive stress injuries to the shooter. After more than a decade of firing IHMSA silhouette matches using some robust cartridges, the .480 Ruger is still a handful that can do harm to the hand, wrist and elbow.

As an aside, when I measured cylinder differences between the SRH and 5 shot custom cylinder, the SRH had a greater diameter, thicker exterior walls, and slightly longer length. If it had been made a 5 shot originally, well . . . !

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
The 480 ain't dead yet. Just relaxing a bit.

As a production dedicated hunting revolver for big game, the 480 Super Redhawk is a superb handgun, and still available. Excellent trigger, extremely tough, and very accurate.

The 480 Ruger has the power to take any animal that walks the Earth.If Ruger would build a "480 SRH Zombie Killer", which I pray they won't, it would be a hit with the goober-smoochers who are into that crap.

I remember when the 45 Colt was considered obsolete, so don't write off the 480 just yet.

Jeff

5of7

Hunter
Recoil in the 480 is indeed brisk, but the secret to comfortable shooting the 480 lies in just letting the gun soak up the recoil instead of trying to control the amount of muzzle rise and elbow bending.

When I shoot the .480, I do not grip it any tighter than I do a K frame .357 Mg. An ultra tight grip is not necessary and it causes more pain to the wrist, palm of the hand and even forearm.

You do need a good set of grips on the 480 and it is good to wear goat skin gloves to protect the trigger finger from hitting the front of the trigger guard, but other than that, it is not that bad.

I have even learned to shoot it one handed and I am not a large man at all at 5'8'' and 160 lbs. Add the fact that I am 75 years old and it is safe to say that "if I can do it, anybody can do it". 8)

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
Jeff Quinn said:
The 480 Ruger has the power to take any animal that walks the Earth.If Ruger would build a "480 SRH Zombie Killer", which I pray they won't, it would be a hit with the goober-smoochers who are into that crap.
Jeff

damn it......i almost spit my coffee.

...and i'm with you, ruger is on a good sales run and doesn't need to go that route.