accuracy of semi autos

Help Support Ruger Forum:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
revhigh said:
I think it's the Range OFFICER.

The stock CZ75 trigger is worlds better than either the P or SR guns. Agreed its not a 1911 trigger.

REV
Yeah, wrong name. It is indeed Range Officer.

I've owned a couple of CZ85"s (same as the 75s but an ambidextrous safety. I'm left handed) and the OEM trigger pulls were better than the SR/Glock/M&P etc. guns but still needed some work to be rated "good". I had an action job and converted to single action only by CZ USA and, after that the trigger did approach a decent 1911.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
My CZ85COMBAT is darn near as accurate at 50 meters as my SIG P210-5. The BR-GP35 is yapping at their heels, and everyone of my S&W 9MM autos; M39-2, M3904, M3906 ETC shoot exceedingly well for as little they cost.
The S&W M952 is a really dandy 9MM PARABELLUM target pistol too I might add but I never ran acrossed one to buy after test firing them.
And so it goes...

revhigh

Hawkeye
5of7 said:
I am looking at the CZ 75-B Omega 16 shot full sized gun.

Would that be an accurate CZ? Or would I have to spend more money.... 8)

I'd buy a standard CZ75B or SP01, and go from there. About $500-650. I'd shoot it a lot, and go SLOWLY in terms of modifying it. I'd skip the omega ... I Know nothing about it ... It's cheaper than the standard 75B though from their website, and Cheesewhiz doesn't like it ... So that would be good enough for me to avoid it. Trust me ... A STANDARD CZ75B will more than suit your needs at this point. If you start out with a highly modified gun, you have no idea if what you did even had any serious effect.

Don't get hung up on dumping a lot of Money into a gun right away thinking you can BUY ACCURACY (with YOU holding the gun). You can no more buy accuracy in a gun than you can buy accuracy in golf clubs. YOU are still the one holding that gun (or golf club). Just the fact that you're asking these questions shows that you should go slowly ... I commend you on the fact that you're ASKING FIRST ... THEN BUYING !! I'm betting ANY CZ75 will shoot better than you can at this point in your shooting career.

Start with a CZ75B .... Measure your groups honestly, regularly, and consistently. Let a known MUCH better shooter shoot your gun ... Honestly measure THOSE groups. Keep shooting until you can match the better shooter's groups. THEN ... decide where you go from there ... Better sights ... Different grips ... Trigger job (done by CZ) .... Single action trigger ... Again by CZ ... Etc etc.

Approaching getting an accurate pistol in this manner will save you thousands of dollars in mis-bought guns, poorly chosen upgrades, and questionable gunsmith work.

REV

Well, I was going to try to add to the discussion, but continuing to read the thread, Rev pretty much covered every point.

I can just reiterate his thoughts on the matter and share my personal outstanding experience with the CZ75B Stainless and CZ75 SP01 Tac. As well as the Sig P226 Elite Enhanced. All guns mentioned were purchased for well under a grand. Well not together, but individually.

Al James

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Joe Survival said:

+1

but avoid the P250 esp. in .40 cal. My dad had one he had sell for him. It was mediocre, at best...

Is that the one with the modular frame/fire control group? Cool idea...failed execution I guess. I have heard they did not live up to the Sig accuracy reputation.

I love my revolvers. Esp. my Ruger revolvers, I like my Smiths plenty nuff too! I spend decent money on them and have a generalized expectation of how they "should" perform. Most of the time, marvelously!

Who says my semi-auto experience should be anything less??

I agree, if I want decent accuracy from a semi-auto, my purchases reflect that.

If I could go back and eliminate every mistake-purchase semi-auto I have ever made, I would not have experience with a lot of guns out there.

But I strongly suggest against bashing any guns till you try them, even the "high end" ones according to some of you.

5of7

Hunter
Well I got the CZ75-B on Saturday. Today I took it to the range and shot 15 rounds of WW white box 115 grainers through it at 25 yds. The group was about 6" with 13 holes within 3.5".

I consider this to be a good start. My thought is to focus on 125 gr. handloads, since this gun is a full sized 9MM. Thanks to all for your input.... 8)

revhigh

Hawkeye
Congrats 5of7.

I'm sure your shooting will improve drastically with that gun.

I'd shoot groups of 5 rather than 13 for your measurements though.

That gun should allow you to improve for quite awhile.

A REALLY ... And I mean ... REALLY ... accurate 9mm load for that gun is 6.0 grains of Power Pistol under a 125 grain truncated cone lead bullet with Winchester SP primers.

I get my bullets from http://www.mastercast.net ... About $57 per 1000. Best 9mm load I've found so far.

With that gun ... And the above recipe ... You can be POSITIVE that any variance is YOU. That combination is simply spectacular ... Even better in my Sig 226.

Don't be afraid to dry fire that 75 THOUSANDS of times sitting in front of the TV too. It will DRASTICALLY improve the trigger without costing you thousands for ammo.

Please give that gun at least 2000-3000 live rounds before deciding to do anything to it. As well as 10,000+ dry fires.

After that ... I'd consider having CZ Custom install a SA trigger on it ... Or having CZ custom do a regular trigger job. I wouldn't mess around with any local gunsmiths unless they SPECIFICALLY specialize in CZ's. It might cost a small amount more to have CZ do the work, but they KNOW THEIR GUNS INSIDE AND OUT, and will tune your gun the right way.

Congrats again on that 75 ... I can't say enough about the quality and accuracy of that platform

Now you just gotta dump the WWB garbage, and watch your accuracy, group size, and consistency continue to improve.

It always blows my mind that people spend $500+ on a gun, then add $200 worth of add ons to it, and continue to shoot garbage ammo through it. They should have spent the $200+ on reloading equipment and supplies instead of crap like guide rods that do NOTHING, useless and unreliable trigger parts, and junk ammo.

Quality ammo means everything in 9mm when it comes to measureable accuracy.

REV

OldePhart

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
It always blows my mind that people spend $500+ on a gun, then add $200 worth of add ons to it, and continue to shoot garbage ammo through it. They should have spent the $200+ on reloading equipment and supplies instead of crap like guide rods that do NOTHING, useless and unreliable trigger parts, and junk ammo.
REV

So true. I think for most people the best money they can spend on making almost any gun more accurate is on ammo and range fees. That pretty much holds true until you've sent at least several thousand rounds down range - at least I know it did for me and for most everybody I've ever shot with. It even holds true for me now, after so many years of just shooting enough to maintain basic proficiency. I could spend a ton of money on a race gun and not shoot any better than with a decent box stock Glock right now.

5of7

Hunter
Just got back from the range and fired 6-5 shot groups; 3 with the WW stuff and 3 with the Remington factory inexpensive ammo.

The groups averaged 3.5" at 25 yds., with the largest group being 5" and the smallest being 2.5". No noticeable difference between the two brands. I am very pleased with this gun and have some Berry bullets ordered in 125 gr. weight.

If I can get an average of 3.5" with handloads, I will be happy, but I kinda think I will be able to do better than that with handloads.

Thanks again to those who steered me in the right direction. 8)

5of7

Hunter
OK guys, one more thing; I need a higher front sight for this gun as it groups about 6" high at 25 yds.

I see that it is pinned on, so replacing it should be no problem, but where do I find it?

revhigh

Hawkeye
Bullzaye said:
Are you using a "center" hold, or a "six o'clock" hold?

Tim

Yeah ...I wouldn't change a thing for awhile ...most times its a sight picture issue.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
That's very unusual... my 75 with stock sights is dead on.

Can you let another known good shooter try it ?

I wouldn't go changing them just yet. If I did I would expect CZ to take care of it.

REV