9mm SP101 , first impressions at the range

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Picked up my 9mm SP101, bought off Davidson's today.....everything looked great except I got burned for my 3 clips. I did get a Ruger hat though.......

The clips were nowhere in the shop. I'll email Davidson's and Ruger, maybe they'll send me 3. Otherwise they're like 15 bucks for 3, no huge deal
20230629_183617.jpg

I put on a set of Padauk inserts from "Furniture Your Way", they look and fit great. However.....no disassembly pin under the grip 😆 the grip panels looked hastily reinstalled. Is a Davidson's employee stripping things out of boxes? Like ya need 20 bucks that bad??
20230629_192034.jpg

I had a Blackhawk! brand speedloader pouch I had planned to use with my moon clips but.....I did without. I used a cheapo Allen holster just to have something to draw from at the range

20230629_192222.jpg

It's not my first Rodeo with moonclipped revolvers, so I knew I could still load the gun. After shooting, most spent cases just fell out with some working of the extractor. A few were stubborn and needed a fingernail to pop out. Not a problem.
20230629_193118.jpg

From 5 to 10 yards, shooting two handed, one hand, strong hand, weak hand......I was easily able to put up a decent cluster (for me) around the red circle, while shooting DA . Moving back to 15 and 25 , shooting DA the wheels came off and I sprayed low and off the silhouette. Snubs are less forgiving once you move out of "across the room" distance
20230629_194150.jpg

.38 brass from when I had my .38 SP101 out still in the rocks 😃
20230629_194259.jpg

At 15 yards, resting my hands on the table, shooting SA at the "head". Hands rested on the table and DA at 15 at the Red circle. Accuracy is more than adequate for a snubby, my .38 SP is probably a little more accurate but I'm not worried about a probably inconsequential difference in accuracy. These aren't Bullseye guns. You won't be setting the world on fire with this does the job it's supposed to do. I'm assuming Ruger uses a .357 bore barrel but again, due to overlapping variance and specs it doesn't matter. The next one off the line might stack holes on top of each other and the one before it might blow a softball sized pattern at 15.......within spec is within spec
20230629_200028.jpg

My Blackhawk with 9mm cylinder and a 5946 were in my range bag. Various flavors of 9mm handguns.
20230629_194713.jpg

A little hitch in the SA cocking on one chamber , that began to smooth out. DA pull was typical SP101, heavy but usable . I won't mess with the springs in this one. It needs a cleaning, and some more break in and I'm confident the little roughness on the one chamber in SA will go away.

100 rounds through it, looks like it may be fitted a bit tight in the hand/ratchet tooth interface, the pin was striking a little off center on the primers . I could care less, it's a Ruger not a Manurhin. It delivered 100 rounds of 9mm on target , and I'll be putting 1000s through it. It will break in to itself.
20230629_200640.jpg

20230629_200703.jpg

Winchester White Box must be loaded a bit warm , these snapped like .38 +P in this. This gun is a ton of fun to shoot on the range, for 40 bucks for 100 rounds vs $60-70 I'd need to put the same amount of. 38 through my other SP, it's a no brainer. With good defensive loads like Hydra Shok 9mm +P , I'd be completely confident carrying this.

Last edited:

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I have the 3" version and love it
These are perfect for people who are already 9mm pistol owners, I believe the original 9mm Speed Sixes and SPs were marketed for Law Enforcement agencies that also used 9mm auto loaders.

If I saw an older one like that for sale, I'd be all over it. 3" seems like the perfect all arounder

I had a Charter Arms 9mm snub 5 years ago or so , I felt like I was going to break it by shooting it.

Rock185

Bearcat
Good write up on your new SP101. I've had several 9mm revolvers, and still have a 2" S&W 940 and an older 3" SP101. Reference the 9mm WWB snapping like .38+P, I'm not at all surprised. In my 2" 940 the 115 grain WWB averages 1088 FPS. This is about 200 FPS faster than any major manufacturer .38 +P I've tested in a 2" revolver. As to a good defensive load, the Federal 124 grain +P HST averages 1197 FPS in my 2" revolver. A 4" semi-auto produced only 1196 FPS with the same 124 HST. Not a bad showing for a 2" revolver..
9mm revolvers (13) - Copy.JPG

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I'm surprised they have any left , they were going quick this month

I'm half tempted to snag a 2nd one and drop a spurless hammer into it, but then my logical brain says that's just redundant

I do have a .45 ACP/LC Redhawk and I love it. My only gripe is I wish it was just a .45 ACP so I wasn't always required to use moon clips

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
That S&W is way cool.....now I've got another one to keep an eye out for in the wild

The WWB is apparently their NATO loading so I see why it's a little warm, I did find one with a .380 slug in it so their "Range/Practice " ammo seems like a less QC'd White Box

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I love that , the 3" barrel and spurless hammer are perfect

Ruger needs to bring back the 3" 9mm SP101

This answers my question about the 9mm moonclipped ammo needing the weight of a spurred hammer for reliability. My new one came with a cast hammer vs MIM, I assume for the weight for reliability

I'd like to find a take off cast spurless hammer , I think it would be perfect for my 2.25"

Rock185

Bearcat
FWIW, The regular commercial WWB ammo, as shown in the photo of the case head, is not the Q4318 NATO load. The NATO load is real obvious, i.e., sealed primer ad case mouth, NATO cross in circle headstamp, year of manufacture and letter code for manufacturer, etc. I think that the fact that most Win. NATO available for commercial sale comes in white boxes confuses the issue. The WBB range/target ammo is still snappy enough in the little revolvers, but it's not the NATO stuff..

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
It's probably just a quirk of hot 9mm +P in a revolver

I haven't fired any really hot 9mm in either a DA or SA revolver yet , just many 1000s of rounds like Tulammo or other range type ammo through Blackhawks

This may be why .45 ACP has worked so well in revolvers for over 100 years and they've been so popular, but the concept of the 9mm revolver has always been met with mixed feelings whenever any gunmaker has made one

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I'm trying to work this out ln my brain , because that would mean the cases also swelled or bulged , to move back out of the chamber and then stick , jamming the cylinder

I recall someone saying they fired Hirtenberger 9mm +P++ SMG ammo in an older SP101 9mm with no problems but often people leave out important info like "I polished my chambers with jewelers rouge and a dremel " or it's some freak occurrence where the rounds were so hot they just stuck in place vs +P that moves back

I have a 25 pak of Hornady 9mm +P, I'll have to run them through my SP to see if they stick. Part of the reason I bought the SP was to carry it with hot 9mm so further testing is required

The warmest I've gone was the Winchester 9mm Range/Target which is snappy even in my Blackhawk, and is probably close to a +P. Tulammo isn't a weak loading and the Winchester has noticeably more snap then that

One not only has to test the ammo in the revolver it is to be used in but also need to chronograph it to see the real world velocity not just what the ammo company says...and coming out of a snubby it will be the lowest velocity of any 9mm handgun..

Not all +P ammo is loaded to the same pressure level...

Fridlo

Bearcat
KurtC's 9mm SP-101 is one of the 1989-1999 early run ones, which have serial numbers which begin with 570-572. The cylinder was cut to use the cheap and easily available S&W 940 moon clips on these early models, which are about .037" thick. When Ruger brought the 9mm SP-101 back in 2017, the cut for the moon clip was thinner and they introduced their own proprietary moon clips, which are about .032" thick. The cylinder won't close if you try to load the earlier clips into the revolver. The newer thinner clips are a little more bendable and fragile, and are much more expensive.

Rock185

Bearcat
RJM, I just got back to this thread, Reference the 9mm cases backing out and tying up your revolver, my stainless Blackhawk convertible did that, with the same result. My remedy was to use Gunscrubber or a similar product to make sure the chambers were completely dry. Problem solved, and it still ejected fired cases normally...

Latest posts