9e misfiring champion.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jawbone75

Fatboy from Texas.
I'm new to this forum and have a question maybe y'all could help me with. I bought a 9e in 2016 and have shot it many many times and it's always had problems with it misfiring. First time was with some steel casing 115gr ammo I found when ammo was scarce I had maybe ten misfires out of a couple boxes. Enough that I gave the rest of that ammo away. A little time went by and went to shoot again and a different kind of ammo did the same, a few misfires here and there. Then within the last six months I bought a hundred round box of Winchester 115 fmj and out of that 30 100 didn't fire. Some of the ones that didn't fire I loaded into my nephew's S&W and most fired. I finally had enough and sent it to Ruger. They changed the barrel, the striker assembly and something else. Said they fired 30 rounds of some ammo through it but not this specific Winchester ammo I had the problem with. I get the gun back and buy another box of this Winchester ammo and saw problem, 26 misfires out of a hundred. I brought those back home, removed all the bullets and checked the amount of powder in them. They all seemed to have the same amount of powder. I didn't weight it but looked like enough to make it go boom. I then took those empty casings and sprayed the with wd-40 to deactivate the primer, which I learned after does nothing. So to discharge the primers if they were still hot I put in my wife's ec9s and all of the primers that misfires in my gun except two fired. My question is have any other of you 9e owners experienced anything like this with this weapon or any for that matter? If so we're you able to correct it or should I just stay away from Winchester 9mm ammo for this weapon. I'd like to be confident using any ammo but I feel h to is thing not working might get me killed one day. Any thoughts or suggestions? I know it was a l on g post but wanted to be as accurate with the story as possible.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I've had a 9e since 2012. Never had a lick of trouble with it, regardless of the ammo. Probably 3 or 4 thousand rounds thru it by now. I'm assuming you keep yours reasonably clean and lubed?

hittman

Staff member
By misfire I assume you mean light primer strike? Is that correct?

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I have seen some issues with the 9e when the shooter doesn't fully pull the trigger to the rear (short-stroking), but never heard of any recurring issues with failure-to-fires.

codebreaker

Single-Sixer
If you have any of that ammo left, I would try it again. Any misfires - I would immediately try again in the other gun. Might help narrow it down to ammo or gun. Do you have or can you get a picture of the primer on one that didn't fire in the 9E and was not sprayed with WD-40?

gunman42782

Hunter
Mine would occasionally misfire with CCI primers, but never with Federal primers. (CCI primers are harder than Federal) I installed a Galloway Presidion Extra power striker spring and now it never misfires. I carry it everyday.

Jawbone75

Fatboy from Texas.
Mine would occasionally misfire with CCI primers, but never with Federal primers. (CCI primers are harder than Federal) I installed a Galloway Presidion Extra power striker spring and now it never misfires. I carry it everyday.
Sounds like something i need to do. I'll look one up. Thank you.

Jawbone75

Fatboy from Texas.
If you have any of that ammo left, I would try it again. Any misfires - I would immediately try again in the other gun. Might help narrow it down to ammo or gun. Do you have or can you get a picture of the primer on one that didn't fire in the 9E and was not sprayed with WD-40?
I've already knocked all the old primers out. You can definitely see they weren't struck very hard.

Jawbone75

Fatboy from Texas.
I have seen some issues with the 9e when the shooter doesn't fully pull the trigger to the rear (short-stroking), but never heard of any recurring issues with failure-to-fires.
I might have to go buy more of that ammo and consciously make sure I pull the trigger all the way. It definitely could be the problem.

Jawbone75

Fatboy from Texas.
I've had a 9e since 2012. Never had a lick of trouble with it, regardless of the ammo. Probably 3 or 4 thousand rounds thru it by now. I'm assuming you keep yours reasonably clean and lubed?
Yes. The last time it was cleaned at the factory when they did the work to it. I think I will clean it again, practice making full pulls on the trigger as was suggested. Maybe change the striker assembly.

Jawbone75

Fatboy from Texas.
Don't waste any more money on ammo. Let Ruger fix it.
They already did. That's why I came here to ask y'all what you think. They changed the barrel, striker and something else. The itemized list is at home. Got it back still does the same. One suggestion is I'm not pulling the trigger completely, another is to clean it and also buy a stronger striker. I'll probably do all that.

Jawbone75

Fatboy from Texas.
I've already knocked all the old primers out. You can definitely see they weren't struck very hard.
B5AAA640-6051-448C-A17B-A11C4A6ABB2D.jpeg

Jawbone75

Fatboy from Texas.
They show A striker spring for an SR9e I'm gonna assume it's for the 9e. Does that sound right to you?

Latest posts