77/44 ruptured primers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

edfardos

Single-Sixer
I heard back from winchester. They were very professional, but it did take them two months to respond. I don't know if my samples ever went to QA. They also sent me a gift-certificate to cover my trouble. So outstanding company, just a bad product. Everyone is entitled to a bad day or QA problems. I'm guessing they got bad brass (high zinc, low copper), which was too hard or thin and they failed. They said the Rifle primers are made with an entirely different process and material, and that any WLP issues I was having would not necessarily apply to the WLR primers I have.

fwiw, i switched to CCI350 primers, and never had another issue -- it doesn't mean cci's great, but at least they don't erode my breach face (recoil plate in the case of my revolver). I'm using CCI 450 (small-rifle-magnum) primers in my .223 reloads w/o issues too.

best,
-edfardos

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
That was quite a few bad primers you got. I haven't heard much else about any other failures surprisingly. I find it hard to believe it took 2 months for them to get back to you. But thanks for letting us know how it turned out and sorry about the damage they can't make up for. :shock: :shock: