77/357 opinions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
I've had a 77/357 for about a year now. I chrono'd 158 sp's over a max charge of H110, and they're moving at 1700 fps plus. I haven't shot it much, but have printed 2-3" at 100 yards, which I hope to improve upon. I like the rifle a lot, although I had to tune the trigger. Very robust design, compact, and a very handy rifle.

MikePerham

Bearcat
Ferdinand said:
I've had a 77/357 for about a year now. I chrono'd 158 sp's over a max charge of H110, and they're moving at 1700 fps plus. I haven't shot it much, but have printed 2-3" at 100 yards, which I hope to improve upon. I like the rifle a lot, although I had to tune the trigger. Very robust design, compact, and a very handy rifle.

Same load, mine groups a bit better than what you stated for yours. Anyway, my cabin gun, and lots of fun. Never hunted with it, though I pack it when my wife is picking blue berries in case we run into Yogi Bear and he wants to be a bit too friendly.

By the way, just tracked down and ordered a 77/17 in 17 Hornady Hornet. Looking forward to that, and once the snows melt will be packing both out to the cabin and since I am retiring in January, will be doing that more frequently.

tinman

Buckeye
I did not notice this thread til today....hope you like the gun. Kygunco still has them if anyone else is looking. Don't know how their price compares with what yours cost.
http://www.kygunco.com/ruger-77357-357-magnum-%7C-38-special-52293

:D

Okay, here's my report. It was pouring down rain at the range, so all I did was fire from the covered 50-yard range at remnants of clay pigeons that are scattered throughout the impact berm.

Once I got the scope zeroed, breaking pieces of clay pigeons was very routine. So I cannot tell you if this is a 2" group at 50-yards, or a half-inch group. The results on the clay pigeons would look the same. I will shoot at paper when the weather and the time is right. :mrgreen:

Now, the rifle...

Seems to be built well. Fit and finish is on par with any other All-Weather Ruger firearm. The magazine and the magazine release do not work well together. Pushing in on the release still requires some manipulation and tugging to get the magazine free. Inserting the magazine is even tougher. Requires two hands. One hand inserting the magazine, and the other hand pushing on the magazine release to get the magazine to seat. It will not pop-in otherwise. I'm hoping a little wear-in will free all this up. Lubrication where the magazine meets the release did not help.

Now, the scope and ring combination...

I remember this was an issue with my 77/44's also. The factory rings are quite high. I installed a Leupold Compact M8 4-power. The spacing of the rings is such that the eyepiece is way too far forward, and not usable. So I then installed a standard-length Leupold M8 4-power. Eye relief was then okay, but the M8 is a pretty skinny scope. I was able to put my hand between the objective and the barrel. Way too high.

So, I figured I'd put low rings on this gun for use with the M8 scope. I did so, and everything seemed perfect. Perfect until I discovered the bolt handle now hits the eyepiece on the scope. :?

Now back to the tall rings. So since the scope must sit really high over the receiver, there's no reason not to use a bigger scope. I know for a couple reasons it's overkill, but I settled on my Burris 4.5x14x32 AO. I've got a lot of scopes to choose from, and this one fit the best. These rings are still higher than I like, but there's really no other choice than this to preserve bolt handle to scope clearance. And the bolt handle is still pretty close to the bell on the eyepiece.

I remember the scope I settled on with the 77/44's was the old 1.5x4x20 Leupold. I can't find any in my stash, so maybe I sold it. I can see myself buying another, and installing it with lower rings. I did not have bolt handle clearance issues with this scope on the 77/44's.

I could also see me just putting an aperture sight on this little gun.

So...

Just like the 77/44, the 77/357 is pretty tiny. In this case, tiny means very handy, and that's exactly why I buy these kinds of guns. I did not shoot many rounds today, but with the ease of breaking any piece of clay pigeon I wanted to, I'm sure once I actually group it on paper, I will be satisfied. And I will be further satisfied when I acquire the right scope and ring combination.

WAYNO.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Wayno,

I have mentioned the scope/bolt handle clearance before. It is frustrating! Two ways of fixing it the way I see it...a different stock with a higher comb or finding a good smith to reshape the bolt handle so it will clear with low rings. I have not decided what to do with my 77/44 yet but before I will be completely happy with it , one of the two needs to be done. Love the rifle but the way it is makes for an unnatural hold on the rifle which makes a fast shot harder to pull off. Like you said , they are light and quick handling and not having your eye where it needs to be without having to work at it isn't constructive.

Years ago I had a rock quarry on the old farm and we used to shoot the snot out of clay birds! Thanks for jogging my memory! Back then I used to shoot a lot of handguns and hunted with them a lot more than I have lately. I had a scoped 6" GP100 and breaking them out to 150 was boring off of a rest. Had to use different offhand/hunting positions to keep it interesting. Try extending the range when you get the chance and you might be suprised what the little 357 will do!

Kanook

Buckeye
My mags are hard to insert/remove also. I find that if I have/leave the bolt open that it is a little easier to do. I have contemplated extending the mag button to what the 10/22 looks like hoping to fix it.

Dranrab said:
How's the noise level on these carbines? Similar to a 44 magnum rifle?

I paid no attention. My experience with handgun cartridges in a carbine, is they are much more pleasant than when shot in a handgun. So, since I specifically did not notice, I suspect the report the report from this 77/.357 was insignificant, as compared to a rifle cartridge.

WAYNO.

Nerostarr

Bearcat
Wayno, I bought the 77/357 about 2 months ago. I did the volquartsen sear and spring $36 and it dropped the trigger down to 2lbs. I also installed the bolt shims $10 and added a skinner peep sight $51 and this is by far my favorite rifle to shoot. It's very accurate and a great hunting or truck gun.

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
Rossi 92 in 357 at 16 inches is a very useful and fun little rifle. QC with Rossi like many gun companies now is spotty.

Check them out good before you buy- if you get a good one they are super.!

JamesP

Bearcat
Does Ruger make the 77/357 in blue & walnut?
See a lot of syn/ss, but no walnut/blue.
I have a bad case of the wants.

James

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
JamesP said:

James

I don't believe so. I'm thinking of buying the factory walnut stock for my stainless/synthetic 77/357 as I like the color(s). I HAD a blue/walnut 77/44 and it was too pretty to carry through the brush.

JustsayMo

Single-Sixer
Nerostarr said:
Wayno, I bought the 77/357 about 2 months ago. I did the volquartsen sear and spring $36 and it dropped the trigger down to 2lbs. I also installed the bolt shims $10 and added a skinner peep sight $51 and this is by far my favorite rifle to shoot. It's very accurate and a great hunting or truck gun.

Skinner makes a peep for this rifle? Cool!

Nerostarr said:

I would like to see how the Skinner sight is mounted to the 77/357. And, does the front sight need to be changed? Their website does not show a sight for the rotary-bolt-action Rugers.

I tried the NECG sight on the 77/357. Nice sight, but designed for a M77 or #1. It was high enough that it requires a higher front sight if you're using it on the 77/357 ot 77/22.

WAYNO.

JamesP said:

James

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/514698/ruger-rifle-stock-ruger-77-44-rs-walnut

357Gig

Bearcat
Davidsons made a couple of small runs (2013 & 2014) of blued with the synthetic stock. IIRC the model number is 7404. You could pair that with the above walnut stock and be good to go.

They also did a small run of full camo (action and stock) in 2013. When I called them up they said that they only had a max of 38 ever in inventory so that is probably the total of that run. The model number on that job is 7415.

For those wanting an extended magazine release, you will be glad to know that the Volquartsen part is a drop-in upgrade: https://www.volquartsen.com/products/447-extended-magazine-release-for-77-22 :p

As with most of Ruger's stuff nowadays, it is best to handle the carbine before buying. Besides obvious booboos, there is a wide range of bolt smoothness and magazine friction among the "finished" products.

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
Shot a few rounds plinking through my 'newsed' 77/357 last evening....what a puppy dog! My grandsons will love this rifle......if they can get me to let them 'have a turn.'

I shot this little 77/357 again today, quite a few rounds.

Fought the magazine the entire session.

Sometimes the follower would get stuck and would not lift the next round. That'll work itself out. But more disturbing, is when shooting .357's, the magazine would jam. The rims of the cartridges would bind up in the guides of the magazine, and there was nothing I could do to free them up without removing the magazine and doing quite a bit of manipulation to even get them out. Shooting .38 Spl ammo, the magazine worked fine. I was pleased with the accuracy.

Shopruger.com is out of magazines.

So for now, this rifle is a single shot. :lol:

WAYNO.

P.S. Feb 4th...
Talked to Ruger this morning, and they are sending me another magazine from the service department.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Local distributors and local dealers have decided they'll never sell these, so they'll never stock them. Sounds like what happened to the PC9/PC40-from WAYNO on page #1--
Suggestion:

When you get it, take it to your friendly local and show him the sale he missed.

tinman

Buckeye
This thread has got me interested in getting a rifle chambered in 38/357 to go along with my BH convertible. After looking at the options I believe that it will be another M92 Rossi. Might not be the tack driver that a well running 77/357 can be.......but reports are.....the 20 inch SS version with 10 rounds on board, will give me minute-of-coffee cup accuracy out to 100 yards..... for a lot less money. That's all I need for a woods gun. :idea: