50th anniversary Blackhawk grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

don44

Hunter
Does anyone know how to take the away grating effect these grips seem to have? Any help would sure be appreciated. I went shooting today and they were like cheese graters. :(

CraigC

Hawkeye
Real easy, send your grip frame to Cary Chapman of CLC for some new ones.
50th%20.44%20-%20002.JPG

Dale53

Blackhawk
It's remarkable how much difference we ALL seem to have. I keep hearing about "cheese grater" grips and frankly, I believe other folks. However, I have never had my hands abraded by the 50th Anniversary Grips. My problems with them is that they beat my knuckle to death. I finally found my solution in Pachmayr grips designed for the Colt SAA (out of print but available from time to time on Ebay).

Dale53

gak

Buckeye
I admit to liking the Colt "hard rubber" look on some of my Rugers. If you at least like the idea of the factory "rubbers," just not the execution, try the 000 and/or 00 wool approach described in my long-winded treatise in the Stan's attached post, above. If not, Pvt Schultz or CaryC, etc, will do you proud with a set of great woods. I like 'em both ways: factory (as modified) and custom. The good news is you can try the steel wool approach, and if you still don't like them... It's not like you're ruining the resale of particularly collectible grips. You can take off a lot of "rubber" too before they really look like you've done much.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Hammerdown77":3lc12f72 said:
gak":3lc12f72 said:
You can take off a lot of "rubber" too before they really look like you've done much.

Or plastic :p
Actually, the ones on the .44 Special flattops, anyway, are a "hard rubber" feeling material rather than the ticky-tacky plastic that you see on too many guns these days, even high priced ones. The Ruger panels feel kind of nice, and have some mass to them.

They are abrasive though. I'd use some 200-300 grit sandpaper to knock the "points" off the checkering, then some lighter paper for smoothness.

Or just buy wood grips, like I did... :) "41Magnum" makes some nice panels, too.

-- Sam

Chief 101

Hunter
Don, bring them over and I'll smoothe them out for you a bit, or I can make you a new pair of grips if you like. Chief aka Maxx Load

don44

Hunter
Thanks for all the replies.... I think I'll just go back to wearing a shooting glove. That's what I always did before. Chief 101 thank you very much for your kind offer.... thats very nice of you, take it easy. :)

Rclark

Hunter
Shooting glove... for the lowly .44Mag??? Naw, just need new grips :) . You need to 'feel' the smooth cool wood in your hand... to become one with the the revolver as you raise the gun to shoot it. Really feel the recoil with the palm of your hand. Ahhhh, that's how a six-shooter is to be experienced! Not letting your hand be chewed up by the plastic cheese grater! Now on my son's .22 Single Six... I don't mind the cheese graters .... although if it was my gun, they'd been gone along time ago :) .

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Sixshot fixed mine with some Holly grips! And, having grips made by him makes me feel sorta famous :D

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
Or... you could just make your own. These are on my 357 "anniversary" BH. Nothing like smooooth, walnut on blued steel..... (Or SS either, for that matter; check out the ones in my avatar.)

357closeEd.jpg