.45 Colt Handloading Guidance

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ladies & Gents,
I recently acquired a very nice Ruger Blackhawk Medium frame .45Colt/.45ACP convertible from a brother forum member and have started reloading for it. I've loaded .45ACP in the past and have several favorite loads in my notebook, but I am a newbie when it comes to loading for the 45Colt. I have a supply of very nice 260 grain Keith style bullets that I acquired from another brother forum member and I am trying to develop some light and medium power loads using the powder that I have on hand for that particular bullet weight. My old and current Lyman manuals don't list data for the 260 grain bullet, only 255 grain and 325 grain so I am looking at the loads for the 255 grain. I figured these loads are only 5 grains lighter and should be safe using 260 grain loads. I know that giving out specific load data is not a good idea, but please let me know if I am headed in the right direction with the below loads. I also have a supply of 700X on hand.

1. Light to Medium Load~260 grain cast, Win. cases, CCI large pistol- 7.8 grains Unique ( My Little Dandy Rotor #15 throws 7.8 grs. of Unique)

2. Light Load-260 grain cast, Win. cases, CCI large pistol-4 grains Trail Boss

Many thanks,

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I looked at some 45 colt loads (not +p or whatever) and with Unique it looks good for 7.5gr - 9.0gr with a 255-260gr bullet is a good load.

This site has lots of load data but it is from individuals so use caution.

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I have used 5.0 grs. Trail Boss with a 250 grain bullet and is a good shooter. You might be a little light at 4 grs.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
My normal CAS load for the .45 Colt is 6.0 gr trail boss under a 230-250 gr. Cast bullet. Even then they are soft loads that don't obturate as good as I would like and soot up the sides of the case. When this 5# jug is gone I will be switching to Red Dot.

8 grains of Unique (or 7.8 ) under that bullet will be perfectly fine and very easy shooting - you may find that bumping it up to 8 - 8.5 grains give you better consistency & accuracy. Even with the mid-frame, I think you're good to go to at least 9 grains with that lead bullet.

I have a regular frame Blackhawk (2 actually) and my everyday target shooting load with unique is 8.5 - 9.0 grains of Unique under a 265-275 grain SAA mold bullet, bought from forum members here who do bullet casting.

I've got trailboss but haven't loaded it up in sometime in the 45 Colt - I was using it for some powderpuff subsonic loads in my 45/70 rifle - those 405 grain lead slugs trickling out of the barrel at 1000 FPS can be fun, but the trajectory is very rainbow like.

Rclark

Hunter
Yep, With 250-260g SWC/RNFP style bullets, 7.8g of Unique will be a nice medium load out the flattop (or any .45 Colt revolver). I like 8.5g when using Unique, but nothing wrong with 8.0g. As for Trail Boss, I've settled on a bit higher load under 250g RNFP at 7.5g. Yes, this is not in your manual (YMMV), but works fine in my guns. So lets say, you have lots of 'wiggle room' to find a good accurate light load with TB :) . No experience with 700x.

Your medium frame is good for Tier 1 (14K SAAMI), and up to Tier 2 loads (23K). Just don't load it with Tier 3 loads (ROLs 30K).

Enjoy. My favorite revolver is the .45 Colt blued medium frame flattop 5 1/2" :) . My favorite load is 7.0g of Green Dot under 250g RNFP for general use. However, I've got many loads that are just as good, ...

nilsjohan

Bearcat
If you can find it, 5,7 grains of VV N320 under a 250 g lead bullet gives you a mild and accurate load! I use it in both a Colt SAA second generation and a Rossi m92 lever action.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Pistolero said:
I will look around for some Green Dot.

Hi,

It's been scarce for quite a while, however Ballistic Products and Powder Valley both show they have in it 1lb containers only right now.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Shotshell/products/718/

http://powdervalleyinc.com/

Gotta figure what all they have in quantities you can use to break thru that $28.50 hazmat fee... ;)

Rick C

Rclark

Hunter
"Green Dot" ... It's been scarce for quite a while,
Yep ... And when I saw 8lb jug sitting on the shelf a month or so ago ... I first checked my glasses and then looked again.... And it was still there so I bought it. Haven't seen a 1lb bottle before or after... Good for awhile!

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I just loaded 18 rounds with Titegroup under some 300gr Hard Cast I got from Dave at Montana Bullet Works before he shut down. Just my opinion, not a recommendation, but from my notes and research I'm hoping to get around 850 - 860 fps with 7.5gr in my NM Blackhawk with 7.5" barrel. Just a pleasant shooting' load that might be asked to pop a hog, not a real heavy hitter.

Mike