.45 ACP/LC Redhawk no BS range report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
20230802_181915.jpg

I haven't spent any time with this in about 5 years. I shot it in several Practical Handgun matches in 2017-18 and kinda forgot about it . Freedom Munitions has .45 ACP for $14 a box so I decided to revisit it

20230802_181925.jpg

I had put a Millett front sight on and a white dot rear blade of unknown origin for easier "Combat" type shooting. The matches at my club are pretty much 0-10 yards, shooting at IPSC cardboard silhouettes so pinpoint accuracy is not required

20230802_190208.jpg

25 yards, single action.......not so good. The .45 LC chambers with .45 ACP are not conducive to accuracy. Maybe other owners of these have better luck. For reference, I can turn that red circle into ragged paper at 25 with any of my .45 Vaqueros. This gun may drive tacks with Long Colt, I have yet to try . A few 1000 of ACP have gone through this gun, 0 LCs.

20230802_185244.jpg

At 15 in Single Action, things come together. Popping that red circle is easy. Some DA shooting at 15 resulted in some buckshot pattern groups though. Ruger appeared to use a heavier spring in these, for reliability with moonclipped .45 ACP. The DA pull is horrendous. It has 3 stages then a big "wall" that feels like 30lb before the hammer drops. SA is ok. Accuracy with ACP is "combat " accurate at best. Shooting across the room or at realistic ranges of 7-15 is perfectly fine. Try to stretch it out , not so good

20230802_193133.jpg

Shoot it like a 1950s cop and you'll be fine. 15 yards, one handed, Single Action. I pushed a few on the head but it does ok. I'd probably have done better if I'd taken my time, but I was also trying to see if I could shoot in SA with any meaningful speed.

20230802_185945.jpg

20230802_184600.jpg

It fits in a Bianchi N-Frame holster and a plain Jane K Frame speedloader pouch holds 2 loaded clips per pouch.

20230802_183058.jpg

The TK clips are awesome, you can load and unload them by hand. My Ranch Products clips require a loading and unloading tool. I just used the TKs. The Ranch clips are cheap in bulk and handy for loading up at home and bringing them with you. Unless you want to mess with tools at the range.

Ruger says these were marketed as "survival" guns or for woods walking, hunting sidearms, utility guns etc designed for use primarily with .45 LC with the ability to use ACP for plinking or emergency use. If you need an accurate .45 ACP Double Action, probably should go with an old S&W 1917 or a newer JM 625 model. Ruger still catalogs these but I haven't seen one for sale in several years. They'd probably have done better making these as snubs .

they and you, can call it anything you want. that cartridge was never developed. thats a 45 Colt round. period. its hard to take a range report seriously from a guy that don't even know what cartridges where developed. there is a 45 ACP, 45 Win mag and of course the 45 Colt. just because it printed on a box does not mean anything. 45 Long Colt? never developed! its simply somebody calling i what they wish. nothing more. know your history sir.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Just because it's been called .45 Long Colt for 150 years don't mean nothin' 😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

The ammo used for my range report was .45 ACP so why are you even going on about a round that wasn't even fired, in the making of the range report, you're just making needless text pollution just to do it and it's pretty weird , sir

it was never developed....over time its Evolved....might be a good way to put it? or the word adapted would work to. but the 45 Colt and the "now accepted" name 45 LC is one in the same. my point is still true and accurate. the 45 LC was never developed. simplely a name change.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
it was never developed....over time its Evolved....might be a good way to put it? or the word adapted would work to. but the 45 Colt and the "now accepted" name 45 LC is one in the same. my point is still true and accurate. the 45 LC was never developed. simplely a name change.
Ok , noted, Colt is using the wrong term to label their own guns. You are right and Colt is incorrect. We never stop learning I guess.

I also have a box of .45 Short Colt , the Long Colt was used to differentiate between the two in the original period. There is also .38 Short Colt. It is what it is.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
One of those for up for auction on GB a week or so back. I bid but wasn't serious enough to keep going. Still, this is an interesting weapon, particularly for those (like me) who appreciate the flexibility of the ACP/LC configuration.

Glad you posted this information. You've renewed my interest.
I use this gun for recreational shooting, so the tradeoff is , you get a nearly invincible. 45 ACP revolver that can fire .45 Long Colt that can be loaded to "Ruger Only" levels

It's plenty accurate at normal handgun range with the ACP , I just took it out a few days ago and at 10 yards I cut the X ring out in DA .

There's always "those guys" in this hobby. People should spend more time actually shooting and less time with semantics.

The history of different cartridges can be real interesting! For some reason, the original name for the .375 H&H got stuck in my memory, years ago - .375 Belted Rimless Magnum Nitro Express (IIRC ;^). The name is about as long as the cartridge case, and (for me at least) kind of 'rolls off the tongue'! But if I actually want to communicate with anyone, I just call it the .375 H&H, and people understand what I'm saying.

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, IIRC, not-picking-a-fight, etc., etc.
:)

Onty

Single-Sixer
The Long & the Short of the .45 Colt By: Jim Taylor:

The debate over whether there is a .45 "Long" Colt cartridge is an on-going one that has been active for probably 75 years. Elmer Keith alluded to the arguments many years ago when he wrote "...Some newcomers to the game claim there is no such animal, but if they had shot the short variety that Remington turned out in such profusion before, during and after World War I they would see there was some basis in referring to the .45 Colt as the .45 Long..." (Elmer Keith, Sixguns, page 285)...

...These are not S&W or Schofield cartridges. The rim diameter is the same as the long .45 Colts, which is smaller than the Schofield rim diameter. These are true .45 Short Colts. The cartridge is listed in Cartridges of the World on page 306 as ".45 Colt - .45 Colt Government"...

45sc1-1.jpg
45sc3-1.jpg
45sc2-1.jpg

Whole article http://www.lasc.us/TaylorLongShort45Colt.htm

just an adopted name change from the 19th century 45 Colt. more then likely from the shorter 45ACP developed in the early 20th century. (thus calling the longer 45 Colt, long colt) still boils down all development of the "now" 45LC all leads back to the 45 Colt. they are one and the same. just a name change. for what ever reason, ill presume the education level 120 years ago just made it simpler. but hey....in America you can be anything you want. cut your Johnson off and your now a girl, illegal aliens are now just undocumented Americans ect. history, traditions and facts mean nothing now a days. since where being silly and you think im an old fart freezing up here in Alaska. ill prove to you a can change with the times as well. evolve as a person you say! let's start by calling the 45 Colt a 46 Colt-minus 1. see...there is hope for me! FNC

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Ya know, I see this silliness differently.

The members of this forum used to be much more of the collector community than it is now. There are and have been some extremely knowledgeable collectors here. As collectors, we abhor incorrect names of just about anything. People incorrectly name a firearm, for instance, the incorrect identification takes hold, and then somebody advertises a gun as a certain model, then we discover it's not that model at all. But they argue, yes their Standard Auto is a Mark I . Well, no it's not.

Researching the .45 Colt, the Long nickname was added by the troops to help avoid confusion. Enough folks heard this nickname for enough years, and it stuck. It's still incorrect, but it's been repeated enough times that folks don't know that it's still wrong. The shooting community just kind've rolled with it.

In gun stores especially, the employee staff is now too often uneducated or inexperienced about guns, cartridges, and all their history. I can very well imagine an also uneducated or inexperienced shooter stopping in to buy some .45 Long Colt, and the employee says no, all we have is regular .45 Colt, And the shooter walks away, stopping at another gun store. He may get lucky, and somebody will explain it to him.

I also cringe, maybe just a little, every time I hear .45LC, but I don't push the issue. That's an issue I will lose. Improper nicknames are also applied to many of our Ruger firearms. Old Model Vaquero and PC9 to describe the new PCC, are just two more examples. Seems innocuous enough, but recently when I needed a part for my old PC9, Ruger insisted there was no such part associated with the PC9, when actually they were looking at a parts diagram for the PCC. Even they are calling the newer PCC a PC9. And the folks at Ruger, also inexperienced, can't understand a difference.

So if a feller makes an enemy to prove he is correct, that is sad. I will still stick to the original terminology. And I will also listen to somebody explaining historical differences.

Oh...One last thing...
This discussion has been repeated for so many decades, it's become a point of humor. In jest, it seems we're expected to correct somebody using the .45LC term. Folks will even say .45LC, just to see if the listener is paying attention. :)

Making a polite side note, historical correction etc is a whole different animal than these people like this guy who come out of the woodwork being a 🍆 about it then going on some weird sidebar about cutting off Johnsons and .46 Colt

Some people are historically minded and intelligent, some are just weirdos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts