45 acp crimp

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VA Shooter

Single-Sixer
I'm going to get a P-345 and want to reload cast bullets. I really like the Lee dies with the factory crimp die would this work for the P-345, or should I use something different Thanks for your help

contender

Ruger Guru
All 45 ACP's should have a taper crimp. The round headspaces on the mouth of the case, so you do not want a roll crimp. I don't use the Lee dies, so I can't help you about their factory crimp. But, I'm sure someone here will help soon.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I've loaded tens of thousands of .45ACPs with cast bullets using the old Lee crimp die, which actually put on a slight roll crimp, and never had one single problem with headspace or anything else. And I shot that ammo in over a dozen different guns, too, so it wasn't a matter of just "getting lucky."

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
I think I would not use the Factory Crimp Die (FCD) with cast bullets. Depending on what you size them to, and the case wall thickness of your brass, you run the risk of swaging your bullets down and making them undersized. That invites leading and may affect accuracy.

DGW1949

Hunter
I started with RCBS dies, and I've stayed with RCBS dies because they work. That said, I don't worry about crimp because the ammo I load on my RCBS dies works so good, there's nothing to worry over.
I came to the conclusion long ago that if bullet-pull is the subject, proper neck-tension is the number one thing that needs to be "right"...and particularly so when loading semi-auto pistol ammo. I think that you'll find that various dies provide for various amount of bullet tension.....and that you'll also find that various brands/lots/stlyes of bullets will vary from their stated diameter. Jacketed bullets aint too bad in that regard, but commercialy cast bullets can vary so much from their stated size & weight that I've found it best to sort accordingly before working up loads.

What I'm saying is that an expander die that provides an X-amount of case ID nessesitates using a bullet with X-amount OD and visa-versa.
I aint saying that any certain brands of dies are any worse (or better) in that regard, I'm just saying that me personaly....I would not expect any sort special "crimp die" to make up for improper neck tension.....because it can't.

But that's just me....I'm a measure twice, cut once type of guy so I do my part to use a proper size bullet and let the die maker do his part of making the dies, because I figure them guys know more about die design than I do. How's that for a run-on sentance? :lol: .

DGW

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
Iron Mike Golf said:
I think I would not use the Factory Crimp Die (FCD) with cast bullets. Depending on what you size them to, and the case wall thickness of your brass, you run the risk of swaging your bullets down and making them undersized. That invites leading and may affect accuracy.
Jeff, do you size those Lyman 452460's to .452? Because I use the FCD in my loads with those boolits you cast and have seen no evidence of swaging from the carbide sizing ring in the die. Leading is very minor as you have seen in my P90. And you saw how accurate those loads were with 5.7g American Select.

Of course, I am assuming that you are sizing to .452. I also think the hardness of your alloy may be a factor as well.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
VA Shooter said:
I'm going to get a P-345 and want to reload cast bullets. I really like the Lee dies with the factory crimp die would this work for the P-345, or should I use something different Thanks for your help

The LEE Carbide Factory Crimp die is perfect for your needs; set crimp as measured at the case mouth of .469--.470".

desertrat

Single-Sixer
Iron Mike Golf said:

I've heard of this concern before & agree with it. Makes sense.