.44 Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woods-walker

Single-Sixer
I like the 44 Special for several reasons that have already been noted. First off the 44 Special has enough performance to address all of my practical needs. The platform can be sized just right for the cartridge and it packs well. Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton introduced me to the round via their writings and that brings back good memories. Not the only caliber I favor but consider it very useful.

gramps

Hawkeye
I have a Charter Arms Bulldog SS with 2.5 inch barrel, that weighs 20 oz. I load up 240 gr lswc over 14 gr 2400. It shoots accurately, and carries easily in the woods. I would love Ruger to make a 44 spcl on the SP platform.
gramps

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
I like 44 Special a lot it is a great round IMO. I don't reload so always on the look out for it . Wish there was more factory ammo for it in hotter versions.

Seems to have about the power of 45 ACP in most factory loadings.

More steel around the charge holes in a 44 VS a 45.

I would like to see a revivial of it, more revolvers in it and more factory ammo.

Try it pretty sure you will like it.

adam12

Single-Sixer
Well, I'm pretty sure I'll like it too! I've got a 4 5/8" barreled Ruger that is based (or was overstock?) on the Lipsey's runs, right down to the turning of the barrel so the legal script is on the bottom of the barrel. It's built and finished really well, so I dropped a line to my supplier and said "yes" to the other one he has, which happens to be the next serial number consecutively. I know some folks go nuts over consecutive serial numbered firearms - I'm not one of them - but I DO go nuts over a nicely put together firearm.

I've even gone so far as to make a sucker move and order a new copy of John Taffin's "Book of the .44" for $169!!!!!!!!!! That's what they're going for, so it better be good!

I'm looking forward to exploring this new cartridge. It's exciting to be doing so at the age of 60, long after my pistolero salad days which "ended" up with me feeling the .45 long colt my overall favorite cartridge. But now the 4 Colt SAA's are gone and the only .45 colt's I own are a Ruger stock 71/2" Bisley and a nice 5 1/2" barreled stainless (my first!) Ruger Bisley from Williams Distributors. I am thinking of sending the stock Ruger to one of the supermen who specialize in customizing revolvers of this ilk.

Unlike a lot of people who have their revolvers customized I'm seriously thinking of keeping the barrel to 7 1/2". Why? I like the sight radius and it will still fit my El Paso Slim Jim Holster (!). I realize how silly the second reason might seem, but hey, I've got an El Paso belt and 3 holsters, all floral carved, that are in NIB condition from over 20 years ago. The tough part is it looks like I'll have to replace my Colt SAA's to use the two shorty holsters. I thought the Ruger .44 special would fit until I had it in hand anad saw that sight skyscraper. No way! Oh well, one more thing to order from Doc Barranti.

Please, if anyone has any experience with customizers and keeping a long barrel ontheir dream revolver please chime in. Or for whatever reason, I enjoy the contributions of this board's members immensely, even when it looks like I don't.

davidj

Bearcat
My favorite round. Back in the '70s I had plans to have a Blackhawk 357mag converted to 44 Special. I already had a 3" Bulldog and Skeeter had cast his spell over me. Money became a problem and the dream drifted away. A few years ago Lipseys and TALO brought the dream back and I found myself the proud owner of a stainless 4 5/8" .44 built on the mid-sized frame. I own Colts, Kimbers, Glocks, and various other handguns but this is my favorite of all of them. It is the most accurate handgun I possess and it is the most fun to shoot.
My only problem is I have Mernickle holster and I am not really comfortable with it. What holsters do you guys have?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
adam12 said:
Well, I'm pretty sure I'll like it too! I've got a 4 5/8" barreled Ruger that is based (or was overstock?) on the Lipsey's runs.

They are a Ruger regular production model now.

Cool! I bought a 4 5/8" 44 Flat Top and had to buy another matching it as well.

davidj said:
My favorite round. Back in the '70s I had plans to have a Blackhawk 357mag converted to 44 Special. I already had a 3" Bulldog and Skeeter had cast his spell over me. Money became a problem and the dream drifted away. A few years ago Lipseys and TALO brought the dream back and I found myself the proud owner of a stainless 4 5/8" .44 built on the mid-sized frame. I own Colts, Kimbers, Glocks, and various other handguns but this is my favorite of all of them. It is the most accurate handgun I possess and it is the most fun to shoot.
My only problem is I have Mernickle holster and I am not really comfortable with it. What holsters do you guys have?

For my money, the holster for that Ruger is listed in the classified here:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=213163

dougader

Hunter
I sold all my 44 mag revolvers, even my large frame 45 Colts. I have a med frame flat top Bisley in 44 Special now, and a Montado in 45 Colt. I figure if I need a big bore "magnum" the 480 Ruger SRH will do the heavy lifting just fine. In the mean time, I'll be enjoying 250's at 900 fps. 8)

jgt

Buckeye
Wow, Nice going "grasshoppa" . Taffin's "Book of the 44" is an excellent choice. John is a proponent of the 7&1/2" barrels on his personal guns and shoots them when he is engaged in Cowboy Action Shooting. Keep your EPS holsters you may find a Vaquero someday and be glad you did. My favorite customizer is Alan Harton in Houston, tx. If you have deep pockets you can't go wrong with Hamilton Bowen in Crossville, tn. We are lucky to have others that also do good work, I just haven't used them so can't comment. Looks like we may have to rethink the secret word and handshake thing since your able to walk on the rice paper now. Congratulations on your chosen path. :D

DPris

Buckeye
The Prisbrey Report, Volume 2014-2, Ruger, Lipsey's, And The .44 Special.
Amazon Kindle book.
Mentioned it before, but since this thread keeps on going....

Covers history of the caliber, both Ruger mid-frame versions (standard & Bisley), their origin, how Lipsey's comes up with their specials, hot BB loads with chronograph & energy figures compared to standard commercial loads, and five holsters.

Kinda helps explain what's "special". :)
Denis

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I hate you guys. I wanted another gun to reload for now after reading all this about the 44 I guess one will be in my near future, thanks a lot everyone. Oh and I just got my dies cleaned up and ready.

Rclark

Hunter
"Taffin's "Book of the 44" is an excellent choice." Agree :) . I keep hoping he would update it or his 'Sixguns' book to bring up to date with latest releases.... Sort of the 'last word' (Remember his article 'Victory at last' ? in one of the magazines, add it to the book(s) ) on the .44s and .45s ...

To say you guys are enablers is an understatement. I only bought my 4-5/8" Stainless Flattop 44 because it goes with the two Bulldogs, old and new and the Taurus 431 and I figured a single action would just work in my accumulation. You can't be my age and not have a strong affinity for single actions. Or you never watched westerns. :)

cadillo

Blackhawk
I cast for and load quite a number of handgun calibers. Two really stand out as just being easier to produce accurate loads. They are .45 ACP and .44 Special. I got lucky with the Special, because my first mould was a Lyman 429421, and that bullet just flat out works with regard to accuracy. I've never shot a critter with it, but it sure is easy to use for accurate paper work.

For accuracy in the ACP, my best all around bullet for accuracy is the Lyman 452460.

Both the Special and ACP are just very forgiving in the quest for accuracy, and they are both chambered in factory Ruger Single Actions.

I've got nothing against a .44 Spl, but I don't own one for the same reason I don't own a .38 Spl....the magnums can do it all, and more if need be, in the same size package.

The new flat top .44 Spl (the 5232 with 4.62" bbl) specs at 42.0 ounces. My 1957 .44 "special" with 6.5" bbl weighs 40.4 ounces...

1-DSC_0003-001.jpg

It's a .44 Mag of course, but it only ever sees cast bullets from 240-280 grains loafing along at 850-950 fps. I have a half dozen loads with Bullseye or 2400 that let me shoot one hole groups at 50 feet. A .44 Spl might shoot better, but I can't.

Jim Puke

Hunter
mike campbell said:
I've got nothing against a .44 Spl, but I don't own one for the same reason I don't own a .38 Spl....the magnums can do it all, and more if need be, in the same size package.

The new flat top .44 Spl (the 5232 with 4.62" bbl) specs at 42.0 ounces. My 1957 .44 "special" with 6.5" bbl weighs 40.4 ounces...

1-DSC_0003-001.jpg

It's a .44 Mag of course, but it only ever sees cast bullets from 240-280 grains loafing along at 850-950 fps. I have a half dozen loads with Bullseye or 2400 that let me shoot one hole groups at 50 feet. A .44 Spl might shoot better, but I can't.

It ain't the same size...but as long as you like it...more power to you.

I much prefer the mid frame.

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
k22fan said:
What you are missing out on is smaller framed and/or lighter weight all steel .44 caliber 6 shooters. Otherwise you can indeed do it all by down loading .44 magnums. Also if you only needed smaller or lighter .44 caliber revolvers you could find them in S&W DAs. The trouble is that misses the main point. You want new stuff to keep your reloading hobby interesting and Flat Tops have an enviable reputation for accuracy. Indulge yourself.

Well said!

Sancho