44 Special for Grizzly?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigC

Hawkeye
LuckenbachTexas said:
Some folk are wrapped tight.
I don't go to firearms related forums for entertainment. I don't come here to entertain you. If I want to just relax and hang out, I'll go to the porch with a cigar and a glass of wine (which is where I'm headed after I waste two more minutes of my life typing this response). I come here for serious, productive discussion. If you just want to time, feel free but don't presume to waste mine. I'd suggest you stay in the lounge or political forum if you don't have anything better to do.

This is the last serious response you'll ever get from me. Enjoy it.

CurlyBill.jpg

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
I've heard that before CraigC whether about last response or your perception of the purpose of a forum being informative or entertaining.

You'll be back! :D

BearBio

Buckeye
"This is the last serious response you'll ever get from me. Enjoy it."

Gott sei dahnk !

Seriously, come back, Shane! You are sooooo entertaining!

BTW: You "research" is as laughable as your comments. It is non-existent. You have to eliminate as many variables as possible in order to test your null hypothesis.

1. You have no sample size. Sample size is the number of specimens collected MINUS the Degrees of Freedom. A sample of one is not a sample (Because the sample size is 0).

2. Velocities are all over the place, even within caliber. Maybe if you DID have an ACTUAL sample, you could average velocities but as it is, they vary over 100 fps. I could just as easily argue penetration was the effect of velocity. What is the SD (Standard Deviation, NOT sectional Density) of your "sample"? Variance? Statistical tests? Maybe a Chi-square?

3. Same argument concerning bullet weight. Also, you compare a light 338 mag load to heavy pistol loads. Unbiased testing?

4. Hollowpoints versus solids? Very fair and unbiased! What about equal Brinnel's for the slugs versus hardcast? Oops=Another BIG error.

5. Test media? All you prove is which works better on ballistic jell IN THIS VERY LIMITED CASE! Real animals (ever cut one open? Or even cut your own meat? Next time ask mommie if you can do it for yourself!) are made up of muscle (different types), bones, liquid filled cavities and gas-filled cavities==all of which react differently. Ever hear of hydrostatic shock=bet your car mechanic understands and how your car brakes work.

6. Not to beat a dead (and decaying horse) but bullet shape varied, as well as hardness, jacketed or not, bullet weight, and velocity.

In short, you do not have an experiment and you certainly do not have data. I MIGHT give you a C- for a high school science project but if one of my students presented this to me when I taught college level science..............

Also: I went back to look up where I asked you for your "data" but when I ran "CraigC=obnoxious posts" I got SO MANY pages, I threw up my hands in futility!

jpickar

Blackhawk
Jpickar said this in 2011:
jpickar said:
My experience comes from my sons first hand account right in our yard behind the chicken coop.

OOPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I caught you again CraigC. Another half truth to make what you say valid!!!!!!!!
Naughty, Naughty!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have killed several bears with bow and rifle to date.
The half quote you pulled there is me saying I have never shot a bear CHARGING ME!!!!!! You altered what I said. The above half statement is me talking about that a shotgun with slugs will kill a grizzly bear in a attack situation. And that my 15 yr. old son shot him with the slugs. The slugs did kill the bear and this "little bear" as you have called it several times in this thread weighed 450lbs.
My son shot the bear at approx. 20 yards the first shot and closer the second shot. The slugs destroyed the lungs, broke the collar bone and ripped the liver in half. The "little bear" as you call it went up the mountain 100 yards before dying. Both 20 ga. slugs went the full length of the "little" 450lb. grizzly.
Don't try and tell me that a puny little 44 or 45 bullet can make a bigger wound channel than a 20 ga. slug. IT CAN"T because it is smaller. My son had more grit at 15 than you will ever have. If I remember right you ripped on my son in that past thread too. Does that make you feel big!!!!
Oh and you saying Luckenbach Texas doesn't have very high standards, is just LOW CLASS, REALLY LOW CLASS pal. He didn't say anything about you. Only that he agreed with me.

You can pick on me all you want, but don't pick on my son who knows more about hunting than most of us all together. And Don't pick on others whose view is different than yours and only has agreed with me.That is just as low as it goes.
John

old greybeard

Bearcat
jpickar said:
Same old opinions by the same old people that have no experience and live east of the Mississippi. :lol: :lol:

John

LOL Montana had a whopping 1000 black bears killed in 2011. Here in PA we killed 4350, including a 772lb'er. And not out in the open shooting at 200 yds hunting either!
Thick laurel busting drives and close shot hunting. Doubt you could handle it.

MaxP

Buckeye
BearBio said:

Gott sei dahnk !

Seriously, come back, Shane! You are sooooo entertaining!

BTW: You "research" is as laughable as your comments. It is non-existent. You have to eliminate as many variables as possible in order to test your null hypothesis.

1. You have no sample size. Sample size is the number of specimens collected MINUS the Degrees of Freedom. A sample of one is not a sample (Because the sample size is 0).

2. Velocities are all over the place, even within caliber. Maybe if you DID have an ACTUAL sample, you could average velocities but as it is, they vary over 100 fps. I could just as easily argue penetration was the effect of velocity. What is the SD (Standard Deviation, NOT sectional Density) of your "sample"? Variance? Statistical tests? Maybe a Chi-square?

3. Same argument concerning bullet weight. Also, you compare a light 338 mag load to heavy pistol loads. Unbiased testing?

4. Hollowpoints versus solids? Very fair and unbiased! What about equal Brinnel's for the slugs versus hardcast? Oops=Another BIG error.

5. Test media? All you prove is which works better on ballistic jell IN THIS VERY LIMITED CASE! Real animals (ever cut one open? Or even cut your own meat? Next time ask mommie if you can do it for yourself!) are made up of muscle (different types), bones, liquid filled cavities and gas-filled cavities==all of which react differently. Ever hear of hydrostatic shock=bet your car mechanic understands and how your car brakes work.

6. Not to beat a dead (and decaying horse) but bullet shape varied, as well as hardness, jacketed or not, bullet weight, and velocity.

In short, you do not have an experiment and you certainly do not have data. I MIGHT give you a C- for a high school science project but if one of my students presented this to me when I taught college level science..............

Also: I went back to look up where I asked you for your "data" but when I ran "CraigC=obnoxious posts" I got SO MANY pages, I threw up my hands in futility!

Where to begin. I see the two of you have taken it upon yourselves to pile onto Craig's shadow while he is away.

The test media Craig has used is not ballistic gelatin -- but you would know that had you not jumped at the opportunity to bash him and prove him wrong and actually read what he posted. That material is a lot tougher than ballistic gel. The testing was legitimate -- same media, same day. More importantly, Craig actually hunts with handguns and knows what they are capable of - properly loaded -- on animal flesh. I see you and pickar dancing around the question that has been repeatedly posed to you about having actually killed any animals with a revolver -- defensively or otherwise. And, Mr. bearbio, have you killed a bear -- any bear (black or brown) with a handgun? If not, why do you keep weighing in on these threads? Yes, no one doubts that you have been around bears as you have so frequently posted on a variety of websites (200 black bear sightings and a dozen brown bear or something to that effect), so your knowledge and experience is behavioral, correct? What bearing does that have on the effectiveness of revolvers for bear defense? Just curious. I hunt North Carolina with dogs every year and you get to see a whole different side to black bear behavior when they have a pack of dogs nipping at their heals, but I suspect you have never experienced that side of them.

Jpickar, I have asked you numerous times if you have killed anything bigger than a 120 lb whitetail with a revolver and have been repeatedly met with silence. If you haven't, then why are you arguing the effectiveness of handguns for bear defense?

This could have been a thread of civil discourse (yeah, the OP was hoping to stir the pot and succeeded), but as usual, the bear threads devolve into a pile of steaming fecal matter. Now, can we have a discussion without slinging insults? I can sling them with the best, but that accomplishes nothing.

BearBio

Buckeye
[

Where to begin. I see the two of you have taken it upon yourselves to pile onto Craig's shadow while he is away. Quite the contrary! He left (cowardly?) before I could respond. He is free to return any time!

The test media Craig has used is not ballistic gelatin -- but you would know that had you not jumped at the opportunity to bash him and prove him wrong and actually read what he posted. ( Ballistic gel or a commercial variant==it still is NOT tissue. Whatever it is, I have never seen (or necropsied) a bear that was made of it!That material is a lot tougher than ballistic gel. The testing was legitimate -- same media, same day ( Different media on different days might ACTUALLY have been of some worth.!). More importantly, Craig actually hunts with handguns and knows what they are capable of - properly loaded -- on animal flesh. I see you and pickar dancing around the question that has been repeatedly posed to you about having actually killed any animals with a revolver -- defensively or otherwise.(Maybe you should READ some of my posts. I have hunted with handguns, both recreationally and as a professional while guiding. On hogs, which are very similar in size and build as bears! And, Mr. bearbio, have you killed a bear -- any bear (black or brown) with a handgun? If not, why do you keep weighing in on these threads? Yes, no one doubts that you have been around bears as you have so frequently posted on a variety of websites (200 black bear sightings and a Again, learn to fread TWO Dozen grizzlies!dozen brown bear or something to that effect), so your knowledge and experience is behavioral, correct? What bearing does that have on the effectiveness of revolvers for bear defense? Just curious. I hunt North Carolina with dogs every year and you get to see a whole different side to black bear behavior when they have a pack of dogs nipping at their heals, but I suspect you have never experienced that side of them. Again, I have taken 2-3 dozen hogs with Rhodesian Ridgebacks=likely many outweighed some of your bears BTW: How many grizzlies have you killed in a defensive position=un unprovoked attacked, not where the poor, outnumbered bear was merely defending himself?

Jpickar, I have asked you numerous times if you have killed anything bigger than a 120 lb whitetail with a revolver and have been repeatedly met with silence. If you haven't, then why are you arguing the effectiveness of handguns for bear defense?

This could have been a thread of civil discourse (yeah, the OP was hoping to stir the pot and succeeded), but as usual, the bear threads devolve into a pile of steaming fecal matter. Now, can we have a discussion without slinging insults? I can sling them with the best, but that accomplishes nothing.[/quote]

Since it's pretty obvious, CraigC dictated this to you, I'll ask a question==CraigC, HOW MANY grizzlies have you killed with a handgun in a defense position? How many GRIZZLIES have you killed with a handgun? Not your famous uncle who's killed more bears (3) than anyone in Alaska has (99.9999%) =and with a rifle it turns out!

MaxP

Buckeye
BearBio said:
[

Where to begin. I see the two of you have taken it upon yourselves to pile onto Craig's shadow while he is away. Quite the contrary! He left (cowardly?) before I could respond. He is free to return any time!

The test media Craig has used is not ballistic gelatin -- but you would know that had you not jumped at the opportunity to bash him and prove him wrong and actually read what he posted. ( Ballistic gel or a commercial variant==it still is NOT tissue. Whatever it is, I have never seen (or necropsied) a bear that was made of it!That material is a lot tougher than ballistic gel. The testing was legitimate -- same media, same day ( Different media on different days might ACTUALLY have been of some worth.!). More importantly, Craig actually hunts with handguns and knows what they are capable of - properly loaded -- on animal flesh. I see you and pickar dancing around the question that has been repeatedly posed to you about having actually killed any animals with a revolver -- defensively or otherwise.(Maybe you should READ some of my posts. I have hunted with handguns, both recreationally and as a professional while guiding. On hogs, which are very similar in size and build as bears! And, Mr. bearbio, have you killed a bear -- any bear (black or brown) with a handgun? If not, why do you keep weighing in on these threads? Yes, no one doubts that you have been around bears as you have so frequently posted on a variety of websites (200 black bear sightings and a Again, learn to fread TWO Dozen grizzlies!dozen brown bear or something to that effect), so your knowledge and experience is behavioral, correct? What bearing does that have on the effectiveness of revolvers for bear defense? Just curious. I hunt North Carolina with dogs every year and you get to see a whole different side to black bear behavior when they have a pack of dogs nipping at their heals, but I suspect you have never experienced that side of them. Again, I have taken 2-3 dozen hogs with Rhodesian Ridgebacks=likely many outweighed some of your bears BTW: How many grizzlies have you killed in a defensive position=un unprovoked attacked, not where the poor, outnumbered bear was merely defending himself?

This could have been a thread of civil discourse (yeah, the OP was hoping to stir the pot and succeeded), but as usual, the bear threads devolve into a pile of steaming fecal matter. Now, can we have a discussion without slinging insults? I can sling them with the best, but that accomplishes nothing.

Since it's pretty obvious, CraigC dictated this to you, I'll ask a question==CraigC, HOW MANY grizzlies have you killed with a handgun in a defense position? How many GRIZZLIES have you killed with a handgun? Not your famous uncle who's killed more bears (3) than anyone in Alaska has (99.9999%) =and with a rifle it turns out!
[/quote]

No one dictated anything to me. I have killed more hogs with handguns than any other breed of animal, and no, they typically don't get anywhere near as big as the bear we hunt with dogs in North Carolina. Small bears get a pass.....

Defenseless? Are you kidding? How well do you really know bears? I can recall one sow we had treed that had had enough and climbed down to take the fight to the dogs. Thirteen ended up at the vet's that day, two were killed. It was a 130-lb sow. Defenseless, not hardly.

You again haven't answered my question. Have you killed any bears (black or brown) with a handgun? What actual large game have you killed with a revolver -- not hogs, large game?

BearBio

Buckeye
I consider 300+ lb hogs big game! 700 lb bull elk, qualify? What do you consider "big" game.

Back to the original post: How many GRIZZLIES have you killed with a handgun? Seems we are both "guessing"-although I have seen grizzlies in the wild, unrestrained at close range:

Denali Nat'l Park. Distance appx 20 yards.

Yellowstone Nat'l Park. Distance: appx 50 yards.

MaxP

Buckeye
BearBio said:
I consider 300+ lb hogs big game! 700 lb bull elk, qualify? What do you consider "big" game.

With a revolver? I consider the an elk big game. 300 lb hog is big, but if you are going to claim the effectiveness of a handgun on big game, you need shoot big game.

How many bears (with a revolver in particular)?

What do your photos prove? That you have taken pictures of them in the wild? For the record I have hunted brownies in Europe albeit unsuccessfully, does that qualify as spending time in "bear country?"

Oh, and you said the following: "Different media on different days might ACTUALLY have been of some worth.!)." How do you figure, when comparing one bullet to another? By changing variables? How scientific would that have been?

BearBio

Buckeye
"Oh, and you said the following: "Different media on different days might ACTUALLY have been of some worth.!)." How do you figure, when comparing one bullet to another? By changing variables? How scientific would that have been?"

It would have eliminated the effect of the media, temperature, etc. If the same bullet always produced the same effect (especially the same magnitude or so, examined statistically), you would have learned something. Using one bullet of each type, on one type of media on a single day doesn't show anything, except what happened on that day. Any experiment must be replicable. My study on bears showed what black bears did in an "urban environment" during an El Nino condition in SoCal. It was compared with "wild" bears in SoCal, to show the differences. Other studies support my results but that lends credence (doesn't "prove" anything). Incidentally, my study had a 0.00001% chance of being in error==5% is considered proving your results.

MaxP

Buckeye
BearBio said:
"Oh, and you said the following: "Different media on different days might ACTUALLY have been of some worth.!)." How do you figure, when comparing one bullet to another? By changing variables? How scientific would that have been?"

It would have eliminated the effect of the media, temperature, etc. If the same bullet always produced the same effect (especially the same magnitude or so, examined statistically), you would have learned something. Using one bullet of each type, on one type of media on a single day doesn't show anything, except what happened on that day. Any experiment must be replicable. My study on bears showed what black bears did in an "urban environment" during an El Nino condition in SoCal. It was compared with "wild" bears in SoCal, to show the differences. Other studies support my results but that lends credence (doesn't "prove" anything). Incidentally, my study had a 0.00001% chance of being in error==5% is considered proving your results.

I don't think you have done much bullet testing. In order to compare one bullet to another, you must use the same media or you don't have an accurate comparison. Why are you attempting to make this more complicated than it is? I know you would like to prove your scientific credentials here, but this is absurd. Stop skirting the questions.

So, how many bear with a revolver?

Was the elk killed with a revolver?

BearBio

Buckeye
None.

Now answer mine:

How many grizzlies have you killed with a handgun? (THIRD time I am asking!)

Have you ever seen a grizzlie in the wild, unrestrained?

MaxP

Buckeye
BearBio said:
None.

Now answer mine:

Yes, I have in Yellowstone and in Europe. I have not yet killed one with a handgun, but it is on my list. I am not skirting anything, but you are trying to create a diversion. Any with a rifle? Or have you simply darted them? Your argument is drying up rapidly.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Firstly, I would like to thank you for finally presenting a cogent argument. I'm about to meticulously deconstruct it but I'm proud of you for crafting it. You could have asked questions about the purpose of the testing but you decided to just find random ways to dump on it. I will respond with that in mind. I also appreciate you using your book education as a weapon. I'm about to do the same with experience, logic, deductive reasoning and a liberal application of common sense. I would also think that one who believes himself to be so smart would use the spell checker. :roll:

BearBio said:
That was for the troll, pay attention.

BearBio said:
For the purposes of my test, which was to compare the .44Mag to the .45Colt, I eliminated as many variables as possible. Which included the use of identical guns, of identical barrel length, of identical manufacture, both with factory barrels and cylinders, both tuned by the same gunsmith.

BearBio said:
This is terminal ballistic testing, not statistics class. By using ballistic testing media, which is consistent from test to test, I eliminate the need to test the same load more than once. Although if you had asked, I would've told you that some loads were tested more than once and the result was the same. Your point here might be valid if living critters were the test medium.

BearBio said:
The loads tested were published maximums, which is what best served the purpose of the test. Nothing would be gained by testing loads of the same velocity. YOU would introduce a meaningless variable that would be contrary to the purpose of the test. Further, anyone who is knowledgeable and experienced with handgun hunting, particularly with cast bullets, knows that nothing is gained beyond ~1200fps. So you could argue that the penetration was the effect of velocity but you would be easily proven wrong.

BearBio said:
Why not? There's no reason not to. Especially in discussions like this, the uninformed commonly expresses that a rifle would be more effective. It was a medium weight .338 load, with a sectional density slightly higher than a 180gr .30cal. The .338 test told me two things. That I need a better bullet for elk and that rifles are not automatically better medicine for big, dangerous critters.

BearBio said:
4. Hollowpoints versus solids? Very fair and unbiased!
Again, why not? It serves two purposes. First, it gives us a reference point. We can compare the heavy hardcasts to known performers, both a heavy JHP and a standard weight Keith bullet. Big error, are you serious? It's simply more information for reference.

BearBio said:
What about equal Brinnel's for the slugs versus hardcast? Oops=Another BIG error.
The point was to test commonly available and commonly used commercial cast bullets. Most the heavy cast bullets used were of similar hardness. Some were not as hard as advertised. The results are still highly relevant. Same for the slug tested, the vaunted Brenneke Black Magic.

BearBio said:
It's not ballistic gel. It's Sim-Test and it's made from animal protein. It's designed to replicate muscle tissue and would have to be diluted with 30% water to equal ballistic gel. So it's a lot tougher than ballistic gel. Highly rated .45ACP defensive loads penetrated only 4". The use of this material is to ELIMINATE VARIABLES. One might compare loads using 100 live critters for each load and still not have a usable number. The testing results in much more viable numbers, for comparing the loads to each other and are in no way meant to predict or calculate how much penetration would be achieved in living tissue. I would think someone so astute as yourself would understand that. But your intent is just to argue, mine is to learn something meaningful. I'm ignoring the idiotic and unnecessary snark.

BearBio said:
It's supposed to, it varies in real life. That's kinda the point, to test different weights, LFN's, WFN's and SWC's against each other. You're really grasping here. :roll:

BearBio said:
Now you're really getting desperate and your uninformed opinion just proves it.

BearBio said:
That's because it never happened. Have an open relationship with the truth???

CraigC

Hawkeye
jpickar said:
Jpickar said this in 2011:
jpickar said:
My experience comes from my sons first hand account right in our yard behind the chicken coop.

OOPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I caught you again CraigC. Another half truth to make what you say valid!!!!!!!!
Naughty, Naughty!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have killed several bears with bow and rifle to date.
The half quote you pulled there is me saying I have never shot a bear CHARGING ME!!!!!! You altered what I said. The above half statement is me talking about that a shotgun with slugs will kill a grizzly bear in a attack situation. And that my 15 yr. old son shot him with the slugs. The slugs did kill the bear and this "little bear" as you have called it several times in this thread weighed 450lbs.
My son shot the bear at approx. 20 yards the first shot and closer the second shot. The slugs destroyed the lungs, broke the collar bone and ripped the liver in half. The "little bear" as you call it went up the mountain 100 yards before dying. Both 20 ga. slugs went the full length of the "little" 450lb. grizzly.
Don't try and tell me that a puny little 44 or 45 bullet can make a bigger wound channel than a 20 ga. slug. IT CAN"T because it is smaller. My son had more grit at 15 than you will ever have. If I remember right you ripped on my son in that past thread too. Does that make you feel big!!!!
Oh and you saying Luckenbach Texas doesn't have very high standards, is just LOW CLASS, REALLY LOW CLASS pal. He didn't say anything about you. Only that he agreed with me.

You can pick on me all you want, but don't pick on my son who knows more about hunting than most of us all together. And Don't pick on others whose view is different than yours and only has agreed with me.That is just as low as it goes.
John
I directly quoted your post on page three of this thread. I didn't alter what you said or take it out of context. It's YOU who's changing their story.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=128544&start=30

I did no such thing with regards to your son. He's not the one I take issue with, it's his pappy.

You have no relevant experience. Taking pictures doesn't make one an expert on killing bears with a handgun.

CraigC

Hawkeye
BearBio said:
Wrong. Testing on different days at different temperatures would introduce extraneous, unnecessary variables. If the point is to compare the loads to each other, then it would be stupid to introduce such variables. Do you actually think about this stuff before you post? Do you not realize that I planned this for months before conducting it? And you're going to dissect it in minutes? Don't insult my intelligence.

BearBio said:
So you have no relevant experience.

BearBio said:
Now that's relevant, to a point. Anyone who has killed sufficient big game with a handgun is qualified to weigh in.

BearBio said:
Completely irrelevant. How the hell does seeing bears or taking pictures of them grant one credibility in a discussion about killing them?

BearBio

Buckeye
Welcome back. I knew you were lying! My arguments remain as stated, regardless of your amateurish defenses. If you had more than one test, a true researcher would have disclosed that. If a load outperformed under different conditions, it would illustrate something not "cherry picking" your data. Something that is considered unethical, BTW.

I don't eat bear and, having studied them, I have a soft spot for them. It would be like shooting a dog (not that I wouldn't shoot a dog if it needed it=and I have). I don't kill for "sport". Try shooting one with a trank gun=NO stopping power there!

You ever been charged by a bear=not some scared-out-of-its-wits cub, being badgered by dogs to distract it, but a full on, P.O. boar with evil intent, coming THROUGH the chaparral (they don't go over or around, they go THROUGH!)

I'm trying to clear things up, not confuse them with B.S. about an "experiment" about mythical stopping power, the poor results of bear spray, exaggerated stories of my famous uncle, shooting cornered and scared bears (BTW: I have a nice scar on my hand from a tranked bear).

Anyway, I am off tomorrow and then gotta go to Oregon for a seminar on latest regulations on funding for experiments for a week, so "TA, TA"

Status
Not open for further replies.