44 Special Conversion......again

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Would it be possible to convert the Old Model Blackhawk .357/9mm Combo to both 44 Special and 44-40 or is the cylinder wall too thin for the latter? Also, is the cylinder wall of the GP100 too thin to safely convert to a 6 shot 44 Special.

Many thanks!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Clements will or used to convert GP-100's to 5-shot 44 specials. here is the link. Scroll down a little.

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/rugerdarevolvers.html

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Colonel Daddy said:
Would it be possible to convert the Old Model Blackhawk .357/9mm Combo to both 44 Special and 44-40 or is the cylinder wall too thin for the latter? Also, is the cylinder wall of the GP100 too thin to safely convert to a 6 shot 44 Special.

Many thanks!

I very seldom have occasion to disagree with my friend Wil Terry, I may respectfully have to with his first "YES", unless I misunderstood it, which I may have.

Your 1st question is actually two questions which I would answer with a YES the old model mid frame can be converted to 44/44-40, and NO the cyl walls are not too thin.

Both cartridges are chambered in the Colt SAA since ~1873. Ruger's mid frame cylinders have chamber walls .010" thicker than Colt's chambers; cyl diameter is .020" overall diameter larger than Colt's cyls.

The 44 Spl Vaquero and New model Flat Top Blackhawk both use the same size cyl as your old model 357.

I have this Ruger 44 convertible I converted from a Ruger 357 old model flat top:

orig.jpg

Sorry I've never done the GP100, but I've seen them converted as well to 5 shots.

hdxr750

Single-Sixer
Well Colonel Daddy, I Monkeyed round for over 5 years doing just what your doing. I made my mind up and went for it. I had the conversion done to .44 Special, and was I ever happy. I do wish I had a Flat top but I don't. So I'll just be Happy with my Old 3 Screw.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
hdxr750 said:
Well Colonel Daddy, I Monkeyed round for over 5 years doing just what your doing. I made my mind up and went for it. I had the conversion done to .44 Special, and was I ever happy. I do wish I had a Flat top but I don't. So I'll just be Happy with my Old 3 Screw.
Understood about kicking the idea around for a long time! I have Old Model 357's Flat Top and protected sight but couldn't bring myself to convert them. I have a Flat Top .44mag barrel, 6 1/2", Old Army Steel grip frame, and now another Old Model .357 with more holster wear is on the way!! So where do I find a steel ejector housing for the studded .44 barrel as well as the ejector rod and a Bisley hammer to work with the Unconverted Old Model 357? So far the internet hasn't helped :( Suggestions for finding these remaining parts appreciated!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
hdxr750 said:

As long as the gun is already a custom, just take the ribs off, but you probably already had it re-blued.

A flat top Super single six that Ruger never made:
orig.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Colonel Daddy said:
hdxr750 said:

Understood about kicking the idea around for a long time! I have Old Model 357's Flat Top and protected sight but couldn't bring myself to convert them. I have a Flat Top .44mag barrel, 6 1/2", Old Army Steel grip frame, and now another Old Model .357 with more holster wear is on the way!! So where do I find a steel ejector housing for the studded .44 barrel as well as the ejector rod and a Bisley hammer to work with the Unconverted Old Model 357? So far the internet hasn't helped :( Suggestions for finding these remaining parts appreciated!

The ER Housing you need with large screw hole is no longer available - but they can be found used, post a wanted adv on this forum's classified section. Or just buy a new one that has the smaller screw hole (Ruger. Brownells, etc.), and drill the hole larger for the 1/4" cap screw it requires (with 6 x 40 thread). Non studded barrel screw won't work, they're a smaller cap screw and with 8 x 36 thread.

Any vintage rod will be correct, even the New Vaquero style with the crescent shaped head.

Ruger will send you the 1/4" screw for free. I've even heard of them sending the housing, spring, and rod free.
SHOTGUNS, RIFLES AND REVOLVER PARTS (336-949-5200)

Bisley hammers from Powers custom and Clements are over $100. I just cut the top spur off of the standard hammer and tig welded the Bisley spur to it.

orig.jpg

Also did a SBH hammer to get a small size for this single six:

cid_20140416_083959.jpg

Latest posts