4" vs 6" GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

maxpress

Buckeye
So my local gun shop used to carry 4" gp100's in stock. All of a sudden they are carrying the 6" because of demand. Is this a fad or besides the 75-150fps gain is there really that much of an advantage? For practical accuracy I shoot both about the same.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The 6" full lug is way nose heavy. The 4" is a more practical gun for home and self defense. The 4" also packs nice on the hip if you can open carry. For range and hunting work the edge would go to the 6" with more power and accuracy. ...just my opinion. :D

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have both. Each have their own advantages as mentioned above. The 6" shoots like a rifle . I bought two 6" GP's so I could shoot with irons or red dot when I want .

wolfee

Blackhawk
The 6" is way nose heavy, but for serious target shooting it feels like a magnet locking you on the bullseye. Also, I am sure that the extra sight radius helps--a LOT. I wanted a heavy duty 38 for not so serious target shooting and just messing with at the shootin' range and settled for a 4". It's still too heavy for an old scrawny guy like me to lug around in a holster. I never thought I'd buy a plastic/aluminum revolver, but after handling an LCRx, I decided that would be my new trail gun.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Had the 4" for shooting plates. I bought the 4" because all the talk you hear about the 4" being the all-around best size. I did not care for the 4" and ended up trading it for a 6" GP100 and I Love that length. I would imagine it depends on you and what the gun was being used for. I have a lot of steel plates on my home range so 6" works great.

eveled

Hawkeye
I tend to like my handguns, either snub nose, or long. The midsize is a compromise in both directions.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
It sounds to me that your dealer got his hands on some 6 inch from a special deal. My dealer bought six at a very good price and was selling the 6 inch for 50 less than the 4. I bought a couple to cut them down to 3 inch.

Kho

Bearcat
I had both a 4" and 6" GP100. I now have just the 4". The 6" was not as well balanced.

foytfoyt

Bearcat
Energy goes up the the square of velocity. The energy gain with the 6" barrel is significant.

My 9.5" SRH could be called nose heavy, but its just fine for shooting 300 rounds at the range.

I don't consider my 8.375" S&W 357 M686 to be nose heavy at all.

The only reason I can see for going with 4" vs 6" is if your carry it all day as a service revolver, or concealed. That makes sense.

Latest posts