4/08 SR9 Recall

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jhearne

Buckeye
mekender":jocrntbf said:
if everyone is done with their measuring contest, perhaps i can toss in an observation...

of all of the packages i have received from UPS that have said that an adult signature was required, the ONLY ones that UPS actually made someone sign for were ones that had alcohol in them and were marked as such...

other than that, i have had dozens of packages just left on the doorstep no matter what the sticker said... the UPS guys get $9 an hour or so to start... they just dont give a *Censored*...

And after all that fussing, Gustav turned north afterall that BS weatherman crap. We didn't even get 15 mph winds, or 1/2 inch of rain. Just shows how much trust you put into the weathermen/women. Anywho.....

My SR9 should be in this week, range report to follow.

Josh

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Well I got mine back today. After run around from ups. They tried to deliver yesterday but I was not home. Would of been nice if Ruger informed me it was shipped. Anyways ups came to deliver today. The driver could not find the package on his truck. Another driver had it but no record that he had. So it got delivered. The bag was open but the contents were fine. So firther proof idiots abound at ups.I like the trigger nice short pull I can live with the blade in the trigger. What I cannot live with is the fact the trigger is running right around 10 pounds. The trigger feels as if it will never break. I emailed Ruger to see if they will do anything it went in with a 6.5 pound trigger. If they cannot do anything I will pay out some more money to have the trigger reworked again.

qberdude

Bearcat
Hello, I recieved my SR9 about a month ago and I have not had the opportunity to take it shooting. However, I did let my bro -inlaw take it out for me. He shot 250 rounds of, 115 gr reloads. He said that the gun has a fast reset, and shoots accurately. Him and his buddies all gave it a try. No FTF or malfunctions of any kind. I have to say that the SR9 performed very well with a group that, I would catogorize as "luke warm" to ruger. Key word is "was". Now I own a gun that my bro-inlaw and his buddies are envious of :)

jhearne

Buckeye
FINALLY! Its here, lol, after almost 2 weeks without it, haven't gotten to shoot it yet, but I'm planning too tomorrow or this weekend, we'll see, got about 200 or so rounds I'm gonna put through it. Trigger feels cleaner, very short pull, but maybe heavier, yanked the mag dc out right there at work (off clock ;)). Didn't have problems with the gun before, hopefully none at the range either.

Don't mind the trigger, not a glock fan, but they do make good guns as well.

Josh

gregnauman

Bearcat
Well I received mine back today from the recall. Man, I bought this gun in December or January and still have not shot the thing. When the recall came out I just decided to wait. I finally called the other day because I had not seen a box and they said we will send it right out. They did do that, and I sent it in. Just got it back today.

Mine was filthy! I dont know if it was the grease from reassembly or if they fired it after reassembly or what but boy was it dirty. When I sent it in it was spotless.

Anyway I cleaned the gun really well and guess what, first time I tried to chamber a round it sorta got stuck. It seems much stiffer so to speak chambering a round than mine did before. Like a few others the round was getting sorta stuck on the feed ramp.

I wonder if they changed the barrel on mine as well. As I worked it a bit, chambering and unchambering, it seemed to get better, but something is definitely different.

I may call and try to talk to someone about what exactly was done to my gun. Surely they have to keep track of each serial number and what they did to it during the recall.

jhearne

Buckeye
Since you mention it, I haven't seen him either, seemed he was in regular conversation and dropped of the map since then. Anyone know??

Josh

ppro

Bearcat
I bought one of the post recall guns and shot it today. I like it. I imagine the trigger will smooth up some too as the guns is used. It is crisp, all but no overtravel, but just a bit heavy on the break, which should reduce once broken in. I like the trigger they are using. I shoot a lot of Glocks but, I like this new SR9 trigger better over all. Faster reset, shorter pull through, and feels like less over travel.

I also suspect that the chamber is somewhat on the generous side and, since I shoot a lot of cast, that this will be easy to load for, and good to exc accuracy can be had, with cast bullet loads. Will start on that tomorrow. their rifling is ideal for cast bullets.

I like this gun way better than my Glocks, of which I have many.

Paul

jhearne

Buckeye
poncaguy":1w6omsna said:
They changed my barrel, shoots 7" low at 15 yards, ruined it's accuracy. At my pistol smith now. If he can't improve it, it's gone

Does it just shoot 7" low and group really well or scattered and never holds a group at all?? If it doesn't hold a group send it back to Ruger and make them fix it....if it shoots 7" low at 15' send it back and have them fix it before sending it out to your smith.....its supposed to shoot where it aims, not have you compensate like your gonna shoot the BG in the neck....also with the new heavier trigger pull is it possible your pulling the gun down some when pulling the trigger, I do that myself a bit and its hard to break off the habit too.

Josh

gregnauman

Bearcat
I cant believe with all the negative publicity with the 6.5lb trigger, they recall the gun put in a new one and make it 8lb.

What is up with these engineers? They improve the trigger but increase the pull, makes no sense at all.

jhearne

Buckeye
My guess is its a safety move, I told my uncle about it being heavier and referred to it as a New York trigger, I think since it failed a drop test to begin with a heavier trigger will improve that plus the addition of the trigger safety, leave it to Ruger to attempt to make something safe, safer.

Josh

mekender

Single-Sixer
poncaguy":2aznw1tr said:
They changed my barrel, shoots 7" low at 15 yards, ruined it's accuracy. At my pistol smith now. If he can't improve it, it's gone

problem that bad should be sent back to ruger for a warranty issue... not sure why you would spend money on it

Chortdraw

Bearcat
Hey Josh, I voted earlier on the poll that I might sell my SR 9. Well after shooting it a bit more I have definitely changed my mind. I shot it this morning and it shot better than any of my 9's for accuracy. Getting smoother and better all the time. It never missed a lick and the trigger is crisp and short reset. Almost like a SA trigger. :mrgreen:

Chort

K4AA

Bearcat
Sent two SR9's in for recall. Turn-around: 7 days door to door. I think both triggers are excellent in dry firing. Smoother and less pull than my Glocks. Will take them to the range and report back. So far a big plus.

OK here is update: took to range and both SR9's functioned flawlessly shooting 100 rds of mixed CCI Blazer Brass and UMC. Accuracy was very good, no difference before and after recall. Definitely keepers.

jhearne

Buckeye
Chortdraw":17cj99z9 said:
Hey Josh, I voted earlier on the poll that I might sell my SR 9. Well after shooting it a bit more I have definitely changed my mind. I shot it this morning and it shot better than any of my 9's for accuracy. Getting smoother and better all the time. It never missed a lick and the trigger is crisp and short reset. Almost like a SA trigger. :mrgreen:

Chort

Good deal Chort, I do like mine, I'll admit it does feel heavier than pre-recall but definitely not worth selling, it's still 100% functional/reliable in my about 1000 rounds through it. I still trust it.

Josh