4/08 SR9 Recall

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Yes that is the law. But you have the bs policies of the shippers to deal with. If something were to happen to the gun in transit and you did not notify the shipper it was a gun you will be SOL when you go looking for compensation. Don't matter if it was insured.

A

Anonymous

FWIW - Jerry -
6 weeks to get my SR back while they were "repairing" the severe peening (200 rnds and same condition again now).
6 weeks to drop in a new barrel and test fire.

barry c

Bearcat
Lets see
24,000 defective Ruger SR9's
100 retrofitted per day
500 Retrofitted per week
48 weeks to retrofit the batch.
Good luck if you did not send your request in at the beginning or you may see it this time next year.
but it is okay.
They tell you not to use the weapon until it is repaired and they will give you a FREE magazine for your trouble.
I am so impressed:

barry c

Bearcat
I do not understadn why the SR9 Ruger community is so complacent and accepting about the new retrofit timetable. It starts (perhaps) in Late June. It realistiecally starts in July. They retrofit 100 guns per day:
There are 20,000 plus guns requiring retrofittting. The program runs 10 months to a year. Ruger states "not to use the SR9 until it is repaired"
How can the user community purchase a new item and be patient to not be able to safely use if for 10 months to a year. Why are people not demanding that Ruger refund their money. I purchased a new Walther last week. As soon as my SR9 is repaired I am going to dispose of it. I do not want it around to aggravate me and remind me of the shabby manner I was treated by Ruger. I wrote to them telling them I would never buy another Ruger product; so far they have not had the good grace to respond to my letter. What more can be said. I will vote with my wallet and my snext gun witll be a Sig or a Beretta. And it is not helpful to tell me that they too have problems because when my Beretta Neo was not functioning properly; Beretta replaced it on the spot (10 days)

tc scout

Bearcat
Am I not alone. I am beginning to get the feeling that Ruger does not have a fix much less the parts to repair it. I probably would be happy with a refund also except for the fact I have already invested in 2 holsters and 2 extra magazines. So I guess I will have to ride this out with everyone else. Purchased this gun for IPDA (not happening this summer)and CCW. Was looking at the SR9 and the S&W M&P, bought the SR9 because it was the cheapest(get what ya pay for). Even after they are repaired they won't be worth a dime a dozen because of their reputation. Its a shame the way Ruger is dealing with this. Even the car company's wouldn't get away with taking months to repair it or buy it back. O yeah, just park it till we find out how to fix it and get the parts. That said and off my chest, I have bought my LAST Ruger. Glad Bill doesn't have to see what has become of his fine company controlled by corporate idiots.

barry c

Bearcat
Talked to Ruger today; they said "they are waiting on parts" may be they will start the recall in late June; maybe it will be latter; after all they want it to be done properly and their customers satisfied.
I really wonder if they currently have a usable fix.
I was told that the first fix resulted in an unacceptable trigger action.
I also wonder if it is not time for a class action lawsuit.
My SR9 is currently serving as a paper weight on my desk.
I am currently utilizing my Sig 226; which is a very fine gun.
I am thinking seriously about buying a S&W M&P this weekend; no more Ruger's.

mekender

Single-Sixer
as much as i have been 100% satisfied with my SR9, i would say that it might be time... unfortunately, class actions tend to take a very long time and end up resulting in very rich lawyers and clients that tend to get left with not a lot to show for it...

tc scout

Bearcat
I wonder, has anyone actually sent an E-mail, letter or made a call to ruger asking for a refund ? Just curious

huff

Bearcat
I am glad I don't care. First ruger I bought and the last. The gun has been a joke since day one.

Jerry W

Bearcat
huff":26eojlgw said:
I am glad I don't care. First ruger I bought and the last. The gun has been a joke since day one.
Yep, I'm getting pretty disgusted too!

When Ruger came out with their 380, all I heard was how wonderful Ruger was and how crummy KelTec and my P-3ATs were. Well my three P-3ATs have never had to go back to KelTec, but my SR9 has been at Ruger since march 21st with no idea if I'll ever see it again!

I'm really sorry I ever purchased it!

wgoforth

Bearcat
Surely this isn't the only hand gun that everyone has is it? They sent me a prepaid mailer, the "fix" came to them unsatisfactorially, so they are waiting until they can fix it right. I don't know what else can be expected of them. No telling how much money they are losing on this. I doubt any of us are out any money, just inconvenience. My Ford van had a recall about 3 years ago.... the part for the fix is just now available!

tc scout

Bearcat
wgoforth":wscolwj0 said:
Surely this isn't the only hand gun that everyone has is it? They sent me a prepaid mailer, the "fix" came to them unsatisfactorially, so they are waiting until they can fix it right. I don't know what else can be expected of them. No telling how much money they are losing on this. I doubt any of us are out any money, just inconvenience. My Ford van had a recall about 3 years ago.... the part for the fix is just now available!
Well that certainly is a different point of veiw. No, this isn't the only hand gun I own, but it is the only 9MM, was bought for a specific purpose (IPDA). What else can be expected of them?REFUND! Out any money, try $450.00 and 2 mags @ 30 bucks a pop. Not to mention 2 holsters. All for a gun I can't use and can't afford to replace. How much money have they lost, who cares, it was their screw-up. Haven't lost any money on me, they got my $450 and I got a brick. wgoforth, NOT a personal attack on you or your veiws, just feel some would take exception to Ruger's stand on this fiasco.

wgoforth

Bearcat
I understand it's not an attack, and none taken. Difference is, sooner or later, we will get them. So, no, you haven't lost the $450 plus as such. Ruger on the other hand will lose money on this big time along with losing some future customers. Unless we are talking about 6 months, I would rather have the gun back than the money. And, are we sure that Ruger would not give our money back? I mean, I don't know, I just haven't heard anyone say. really, I don't know it was a screw up per se... the owners manual even says it could do this, as virtually all semi-autos do. So, I don't know why it was decided to recall on a condition that the owners manual specifies. Remember, they are assemblers of parts, and not manufacturers. It's like when Bridgestone tires were blowing out on Ford Trucks.
Joe is a great guy at Ruger...anyone called him to discuss possibilities?
Not taking sides, just want all to consider both sides are stuck on this. Sometimes things happen, and there is no "fault" as such.

AZ Outlaws

Bearcat
For Pete's sake. Go shoot the h*ll out of your SR9 and carry it if you like, just make sure the safety is on and all will be good. Come on guys... it's no big deal.

I don't believe all the stink being raised about this.

Just my 2 pesos, so take it for what it's worth....

Jerry W

Bearcat
AZ Outlaws":19qtl2l6 said:
For Pete's sake. Go shoot the h*ll out of your SR9 and carry it if you like, just make sure the safety is on and all will be good. Come on guys... it's no big deal.

I think you'd be upset if you hadn't seen your SR9 for 3-1/2 months.

I can't shoot it unless I go to the Ruger service dept where it's been for those 3-1/2 months and I have no idea how many more months it's going to be.

I'm getting more pissed the more I think about it.

wgoforth

Bearcat
Actually, that's about how long since I've seen mine. I had sent mine in with another issue (slide stop issue) and they kept it to fix both. Joe Crammer called me himself to ask if that would be ok.

Jerry W

Bearcat
wgoforth":3lwlhri6 said:
Actually, that's about how long since I've seen mine. I had sent mine in with another issue (slide stop issue) and they kept it to fix both. Joe Crammer called me himself to ask if that would be ok.

I sent mine in for a different problem too and it's been so long, I forgot what it was!

Oh I just remembered. It was for the peening problem.

AZ Outlaws

Bearcat
Jerry W":386ym6k7 said:
AZ Outlaws":386ym6k7 said:

I think you'd be upset if you hadn't seen your SR9 for 3-1/2 months.

I can't shoot it unless I go to the Ruger service dept where it's been for those 3-1/2 months and I have no idea how many more months it's going to be.

I'm getting more pissed the more I think about it.

Okay... I can understand your frustration with your SR9 BUT, the vast majority of SR9 owners are not in your position and should get on with it. As I said before... shoot the gun, carry it and just make sure the safety is on when not being fired and all will be good.

Good luck with getting yours back soon....