.357 self defense ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Poco Oso

Buckeye
I'm using Hornady's 110 gr Critical Defense in .38 special +P, for an in-the- house round, in my 4" .357 Mag. You might want to consider, not only the flash and recoil, but the concussion of a full power .357 mag in a closed environment. From experience, I'd say it's like a double ear slap. :shock:

wolfsong

Staff member
kelbro said:
Don't stress over it or over think this. For a nightstand gun, anything in 38 caliber or 357 magnum will take care of your problem. Barrel length doesn't matter. Brand, weight, etc... doesn't matter. It's a 357 at close range!
Exactly. To my knowledge no one makes a less lethal round for handguns. Or a more lethal round, for that matter. Use what you're comfortable shooting. Nothing more, nothing less. Run-of-the-mill rounds are no better or no worse than designer rounds for close quarter self defense situations.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
wolfsong said:
kelbro said:
Don't stress over it or over think this. For a nightstand gun, anything in 38 caliber or 357 magnum will take care of your problem. Barrel length doesn't matter. Brand, weight, etc... doesn't matter. It's a 357 at close range!
Exactly. To my knowledge no one makes a less lethal round for handguns. Or a more lethal round, for that matter. Use what you're comfortable shooting. Nothing more, nothing less. Run-of-the-mill rounds are no better or no worse than designer rounds for close quarter self defense situations.
You're kidding? There is a lot of difference in the way bullets perform on human targets. An expanding bullet rips a bigger hole and does much more damage and transfers much more shock. Hunters know that expanding bullets do much more damage on game. You should know that.

Now if you want to say in a shootout getting good hits is more important than expanding bullets I might agree with that. ...but good hits with expanding bullets is definitely the best way to defend yourself.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
wolfsong said:
kelbro said:
You're kidding? There is a lot of difference in the way bullets perform on human targets. An expanding bullet rips a bigger hole and does much more damage and transfers much more shock. Hunters know that expanding bullets do much more damage on game. You should know that.

Now if you want to say in a shootout getting good hits is more important than expanding bullets I might agree with that. ...but good hits with expanding bullets is definitely the best way to defend yourself.

You missed something equally important with a home defense round. OVERPENETRATION. Expanding bullets are less likely to penetrate a sheetrock wall or two and a sleeping grandchild... :shock:

wolfsong

Staff member
Guys, my point is this: there are myriad situations that can be considered when choosing self-defense ammo. The time of year, the construction materials of your dwelling, your shooting skills, the floor plan of your dwelling, the number of assailants, the time of day or night, etc. There is no "perfect" bullet for ALL variables. A bullet of the correct caliber in your weapon will suffice in MOST cases. Self-defense is NOT hunting. Self-defense is NOT target shooting. Self-defense is NOT plinking. Self-defense is self explanatory.

Don't over-analyze your needs. Don't stress over it. Don't second guess yourself. Pick a round and practice, practice, practice with it. Shoot center mass. Shoot center mass well.

End of story, as far as self-defense is concerned.

pps

Single-Sixer
wolfsong said:
Guys, my point is this: there are myriad situations that can be considered when choosing self-defense ammo. The time of year, the construction materials of your dwelling, your shooting skills, the floor plan of your dwelling, the number of assailants, the time of day or night, etc. There is no "perfect" bullet for ALL variables. A bullet of the correct caliber in your weapon will suffice in MOST cases. Self-defense is NOT hunting. Self-defense is NOT target shooting. Self-defense is NOT plinking. Self-defense is self explanatory.

Don't over-analyze your needs. Don't stress over it. Don't second guess yourself. Pick a round and practice, practice, practice with it. Shoot center mass. Shoot center mass well.

Absolutely.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
pps said:
wolfsong said:

Absolutely.
So every police department is wrong I guess for supplying better self defense ammo? Who knew??? :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:

wolfsong

Staff member
Jimbo357mag said:
pps said:
wolfsong said:

Absolutely.
So every police department is wrong I guess for supplying better self defense ammo? Who knew??? :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:
I'm sorry, I must have missed the part of the OP stating that an LEO was asking about self-defense ammo.

Are you suggesting that LEOs carry interchangeable ammo on their duty belts to fit any and all situations? :roll:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
wolfsong said:
I'm sorry, I must have missed the part of the OP stating that an LEO was asking about self-defense ammo.

Are you suggesting that LEOs carry interchangeable ammo on their duty belts to fit any and all situations? :roll:
No Wolfsong, I'm saying that most police departments as well as almost every local, state and federal law enforcement agency specifies expanding bullets in their ammo for their officers. They almost all meet the FBI standards for expansion and penetration. There must be a reason why and anyone that just blows off getting the right ammo is not taking the question seriously. Just picking up any ordinary ammo is not the thing to do. Use what the Police use or similar for maximum effectiveness in a self defense situation.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
wolfsong said:
Bless your heart, Jimbo.
Glad you finally agree Wolfsong that a person shouldn't use some junk ammo for self-defense. American companies make very good self-defense ammo and they label it as such. Pick one of the major manufactures (Federal, Winchester, Speer, Remington, Hornady) and look for a brand that is labeled self-defense. Jacketed hollowpoints are what do best in the FBI tests but other hollowpoints are also effective for self defense. Consider nickel-plated brass for it's ability to withstand moisture and perspiration in a carry gun or in one that is left loaded and untouched for long periods of time. There are many good articles out there to help you made up your mind as far as type and brand goes.

Here is a comprehensive article on self-defense ammo.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

Bucks Owin

Hunter
wolfsong said:
Oh, calm down, Jimbo. Nobody said anything about junk ammo. Nor is designer ammo necessary. Find someone else to argue with, bless your heart.

Yep, preferably at the lib gun forum ( :roll: ). Probably some limp wristed fellow EGOs who like 140 gr low recoil for SD... :mrgreen:

CD might even let you moderate! :shock:

sliclee

Single-Sixer
Many of these new fancy loads are next to worthless.
Fancy box,good names, high price, wheres the powder?
Where's the velocity, what kind of bullet???
Ow, this guy is nuts right, wrong.
One ammo company touts their ammo as 1250 fps at the muzzle. How can we check that, we can't, we would blow the wands off. Every ammo co. usually measures velocity at 10 feet from the muzzle, velocity drops off at one inch past the muzzle, not this guy, accuracy, another joke, advertises 10 shot average; down below is how they got that average, using 10 5 shot groups, they use the best ten to take an average, bingo.
I want one shot average. I use a SP 101 3" .357. I cut off half of the hammer as it got caught once in my pocket,rounded off the edges. First round is Federal 125 grain 1450fps,next 4 are 110 grain .357 Winchester. They are just in case. Cant fire second Federal as its too hot, the barrel, looses accuracy, expands, if I need a second one its the 110 which is almost as good. I found this out the hard way. Flame comes out you wouldn't believe.
Flame is from unburnt powder. That means the barrel is too short however all things cannot be perfect. The right way would be to find a load that burns out as the bullet exits the barrel, no flame.
My 357 ammo I use flames out beyond the end of barrel but the velocity of the bullet at the end of the flame is faster
than any other ammo I can buy now so I use it. It has proven itself in combat over the years by police in NYC and other police in other states whose officers are allowed to use .357 ammo. See info in book, STOPPING POWER written by 2 police officers who traveled all over the US writing down shootings of police officers and results. Not one word is untrue, all is backed up by factual shootings.

rjwinz

Bearcat
sliclee said:
Many of these new fancy loads are next to worthless.
First round is Federal 125 grain 1450fps,next 4 are 110 grain .357 Winchester. They are just in case. Cant fire second Federal as its too hot, the barrel, looses accuracy, expands, if I need a second one its the 110 which is almost as good. I found this out the hard way. Flame comes out you wouldn't believe.

Those Federals have quite the muzzle blast, to be sure. What problems did you have with a followup shot with them?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
wolfsong said:

Agreed. A lot of folks do piggy back on the experience of others when looking for answers to questions like this, usually to save a little money. Nothing wrong with that, I do it myself on occasion, not to get a specific answer, but a range of opinions. Then I'll go spend $100 or more on several different loads that seem to be popular, have reasonable ballistics, etc., and try them out to see how me and my gun like them. I did this recently with a new SR9E, and settled on the Hornady Critical Duty 135gr. Flash, recoil, accuracy, penetration were all acceptable as was the price compared to other brands/loads. I figure the money I spend on "team try outs", is worth it for my peace of mind. :)

Imissedagain

Single-Sixer
I use a 2 3/4" barreled Security Six as my field gun.
Two rounds of snake shot followed by four rounds of Hornady 158gr jacketed lead flat nose.
If I did not reload I would buy the heaviest jacketed bullet sold.
I also have no issues with carrying Penn's 158gn lead bullets, hand loaded of course..... as lead poisoning is another gift for the BG if they live. ;)
If you can afford "designer ammo" make sure you know where it will hit.

6gun

Hunter
One of my kids friends at work wishes to hell he never bought any that so called defense ammo after accidently shooting himself in the leg with a 9MM while drawing it from the holster, stupid thing to do but it happens and all that expanding and fragmenting did far more damage to him that FNJ would have, just brought this up cause it's another thing most people don't think about when purchasing this stuff.

I don't use it I consider it designer ammo made to cost more, I aint paying more money for ammo when I load better ammo myself.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
...yeah, that jacketed expanding self-defense ammo is for the birds. That's why every law enforcement agency in the country uses it to protect their officers. We wouldn't want to use what they use, would we? :roll: :roll: :roll: :?