357 Redhawk with 8 holes!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

black029

Single-Sixer
eveled said:
The snubnosed s&w 627 UDR ( ultimate defense revolver) has been very popular for a long time. It was in a Clint Eastwood movie, and Woody Harelson carried one in a cop show he was in.
True Detective.
And the 627 is lighter and has a better trigger, for the same price. Why does Ruger have to build such tanks? Indestructability is nice in a Silhouette gun, not in a snubbie.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
Maybe they were anticipating a Hillary win and positioning themselves for the demise of the semi-auto pistol? If you can't have an 39 oz, 8 round .45 auto, a 44 oz, 8 round .357 doesn't seem like a bad idea at all.

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
Anyone notice that these will be factory cut for moon clips? Between that and the 8 round capacity these will have a pretty quick lead delivery rate!

I'm very intrigued by this revolver but I too am a bit puzzled by the barrel length. 4" would seem to make a lot more sense on such a piece. I personally will be a buyer once they come out with a barrel length of 5.5" or greater.

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
I'm also puzzled that the only caliber that actually makes sense in a sub-3" barrel (45 ACP or Colt) is the only one they haven't made yet. Seems to me that 45 cal is the rarest of the snubbies made over the years. Plus 20k psi cartridges make a lot more sense in a 2.75" barrel than 40k psi cartridges do.

balin

Bearcat
I think an 8 round sub 3 inch gun, would go over well with the concealed crowd. 4 incher would be more then most people would want to carry I think. Plus snubbies have a cool factor that would sell. A longer barrel would be good for woods or a target gun.

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
balin said:
I think an 8 round sub 3 inch gun, would go over well with the concealed crowd. 4 incher would be more then most people would want to carry I think. Plus snubbies have a cool factor that would sell. A longer barrel would be good for woods or a target gun.

Yeah, I just question how many of the ccw crowd are actually interested in trying to carry a 44 oz Redhawk, snubbie or otherwise. It'd certainly make a fun range gun, but a longer barrel would be better for that. As far as CCW goes, the only way you're going to comfortably conceal a Redhawk is in a shoulder holster, in which case there is about zero advantage to a 2.75" barrel vs a 4" barrel anyways.

k22fan

Blackhawk
While I would not buy such a large revolver with a barrel so short my guess is this one will be popular like the Alaskan Super Redhawk.

I doubt this 8 shot snubby was designed in anticipation of a Clinton win resulting in magazine capacity limits. My guess is that Ruger realizes that the market for wondrous high cap plastic autos is saturated and their primary salesman is retiring. I'd bet that on Nov. 10 management ordered an expansion of revolver offerings to help maintain handgun sales.

sasu

Single-Sixer
I assume it will be legal for USPSA Limited and Limited-10 divisions. EDIT: there is no size limit in those divisions, but there is in IPSC Standard division so the short barrel is needed for IPSC.

To run an 8 shot revolver to capacity on USPSA/IPSC you have to shoot in a pistol division.

With eight rounds in the cylinder, moon clip reloads and rules limiting stage designa to eight shots from any one spot you are not losing too much to hicap autos

maxima2

Bearcat
I wish they had built this on the Super Redhawk frame and just cut the barrel shroud off.

I like how the grips fit and grip choices on the Super Redhawk much better.

Trigger will respond to spring swaps with less complaint.

It would look like an oversized GP100.

That being said, I just got a .357 mag 8 shot S&W for Christmas because Ruger had no such offering and no announced "this is in the works".

Ruger arrived too late to the party.

I also think it should have been offered initially in the short barrel and a 5 inch barrel.

That would be a fun pair of revolvers to have.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Handled one today, that is one big, heavy snubbie.
When I "collected" snub-nose revolvers (3" or less), my largest I believe was the Dan Wesson.

Neezer

Bearcat
The redhawk and super redhawk are each nice guns.......I own both. I feel either would have been nice for this platform. That being said, I agree with maxima2 based on the fact that the super has way way better grip options in general. And if u r into crimson trace lasers.....u can get it in the super but it doesn't seem to b available in the redhawk. I wish the redhawk had half the grips options as the super. As a side note....I also bought a Smith revolver just before Christmas cuz at the time ruger didn't offer a 7 or 8 shot 357

eveled

Hawkeye
Moon clips aren't needed, just makes it easier to load and unload.

Noticed last night, shopruger has 8 shot speed loaders listed. Look like 5 star manufacturer.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, MAYBE,,, maybe the offering of moon clips is for the few folks who want to do any of the following;
Competition; Moons make speed reloads easier, & faster.
Brass keepers; It allows you to retain your brass easier.
Options; Many folks like options,,, and as such,, it is one they added.

smith1961

Blackhawk
Is it me, or does it seem like nearly every new DA revolver offering is under 3" ? Who wouldn't love an 8 shot with a 4/5/6" barrel for hunting IDPA etc!?!?
:(