357 handloads with bullseye

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Salmoneye

Single-Sixer
Pg 42, 2005 Alliant paper manual lists 125gr JSP in .357 Magnum using Bullseye as 8.4gr MAX for 32,800psi...

PDF available here:

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Freebies/RM/Alliant.html

Alliant had this linked on their web page up until the Speer acquisition...

That said, shooting other people's reloads is bad juju...

grobin

Blackhawk
Looked at that link! It's for: UNIQUE, POWER PISTOL, 2400, and 300-MP! Lyman 49th (I can't find my 50th) gives;
Hornady 125gr JHP, Max load8.6 gr, vel 1315, CUP 38,400. Other loads have CUP as high as 41,600 and 44,100. Changing to the same weight and a different bullet will make a difference. Personally I'd take several appart back off 20% then rework up. Or just salvage the components and use the bullseye for something else.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
And look again at my link. It shows safe loads for the 125gr GDHP bullet.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?page=/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx&gtypeid=1&weight=125&shellid=28&bulletid=28
Indeed it does but it doesn't show Bullseye for any of them.

puke

Bearcat
Pulled some of them, they are EXACTLY 7.1 of bullseye..he must have been meticulous...no variance at all.
Then I broke the cap on the inertal bullet puller so had to stop and find my collet puller stuff.
I pulled a few with the collet but it seemed like I was failing (and even pushing them in further) with about half of them and seating them deeper trying. So I guess I'm getting another inertal bullet puller tomorrow to finish them.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
puke" said:
Then I broke the cap on the inertal bullet puller so had to stop and find my collet puller stuff...........I So I guess I'm getting another inertal bullet puller tomorrow to finish them.
As you have discovered it can be a bear to break down heavily crimped revolver rounds. Get a name brand inertial puller (Dillon, RCBS, Lyman, etc.) so when you break the new one the manufacturer is likely to warrantee it. :)

dobrojay

Bearcat
Most likely the least informative site to ask a question like this. Do you need your hand held throughout life, of can you find out these things on your own?

puke

Bearcat
Just chatting (say's me who needs his hand held).....to the person who must not have gotten any last night (everyone else can chuckle but you are not allowed to since you're not in a good mood....I thought it was a rule you have to be in a good mood to be on a chatboard!).

Yes, my pullers have all been name brand. The one I broke was Cabelas (2nd cabela's I've had),..and I still haven't gone over there to see if they'll trade me for a new one. I found my old rcbs pow-r pull so I used it. Cabela's is supposed to have a lifetime guarantee if it's a "cabelas" product...but I don't recall what happenned with the last one I broke. These 357 bullets pulled fairly easy..but that puller was on it's way out from getting cracked when pulling some old 30-06 rounds. I've never had a hard time pulling handgun rounds.

I wouldn't have pulled the bullets after measuring the first few charges after pulling.....but I don't shoot 125s and (since I'm not into flame cutting and still don't understand flame cutting completely except that lighter bullets do not help at all) I'll load these into 38 sp. cases and let the kids shoot them. A healthy load of lil-gun put's these close to 2000 fps in a 357 case,...and Freedom Arms has come right out and said that they don't recommend lil gun due to flame cutting... In fact, didn't they come out and say they would not replace a barrel if you'd been handloading with lil-gun? (I'm pretty sure it was Lil-gun...please correct me if I'm wrong....but whatever powder it was...I sold all of mine the next week).

s4s4u

Hunter
dobrojay said:
Most likely the least informative site to ask a question like this. Do you need your hand held throughout life, of can you find out these things on your own?

Someone needs to go back to bed and roll over to the other side ;-)

grobin

Blackhawk
Well the 38 is a good place to use the bullseye. Lyman gives it a top ratting for 38 with 110 & 125 gr. bullets. 4.4gr gives 860ft/sec with a 125gr Hornady JHP bullet and high accuracy. Looks like you've got plenty.

Lil gun was developed for the 410 shotgun and is relatively fast burning for a shotgun powder. It's widely used in magnum handgun cartridges, as it's relatively slow burning for them. I haven't seen anything linking it to problems. I'd be surprised if flame cutting would cause barrel damage as it is mostly (entirely?) confined to the revolver top strap. Lighter bullets seem to have more problems but I can't find any real testing or references.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
puke said:
These 357 bullets pulled fairly easy..but that puller was on it's way out from getting cracked when pulling some old 30-06 rounds. I've never had a hard time pulling handgun rounds.
I've had to use some real effort when pulling .38 Sp or .357 mag rounds when the bullet was heavily crimped in place. I've damaged an inertia puller (Midway's house brand) with those. It still works but has some electrical tape around the handle.

puke said:
.....but I don't shoot 125s and (since I'm not into flame cutting and still don't understand flame cutting completely except that lighter bullets do not help at all)
Flame cutting wasn't specific to 125 grain bullets so much as to the heavy charges of slow burning powder used to obtain maximum velocity with them. They produced a large gas volume and the 125's exacerbated the situation with their high velocity and fast initial acceleration giving very high pressure at the cylinder mouth. 125's with fast burning powders and modest charges are no problem.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
"... was just given some handloads with 7.1gr. bullseye, 125 grain gold dot hollow points,.. not a load I would ever load myself... sure hate to toss them cause I want the brass."
----puke

Pull bullet from strange ammo. Sleep well at night. Takes just one double-charge to wreck a gun, not to mention the shooter.

Unless you prefer luck to skill.
David Bradshaw