.327 FM SP101 - Why the tapered cylinder?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Armybrat

Buckeye
Seems odd that Ruger would do that for such a high pressure round.
Is the remaining thickness enough to safely withstand a steady diet of 100 grain AE ammo?

B1B346CE-F982-4770-9ED9-3291BF631A1D.jpeg

noahmercy

Blackhawk
Must be something new...my early SP101 327 has perfectly straight sides on the cylinder. IIRC, there were some Wiley Clapp edition revolvers with the tapered/beveled cylinders designed for ease of holstering. Shouldn't affect the strength enough to matter, but I'd be interested in knowing if the cylinder gap blast increases near the topstrap.

Cholo

Staff member
More on the subject, kinda.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
My brand new SP101 has a tapered cylinder

I'm going to guess Ruger is going to start doing this on regular production GP100s too since they've already done it on the "Combat Carry" and Match Champion

I don't think it does anything for reholstering, someone up top probably thinks it "makes them look cool so the kids will think it's Tactical "

Johnnu2

Hunter
Maybe it's like everything else in our economy where a little less manufacturing 'material' saves millions of $$$ ?
Sometimes people notice the lighter bagel and sometimes they don't....
Just sayin'

J.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
While it was an older gun, the lower SP in the picture had a cyl. problem and was sent in. The cyl. was replaced with the tapered unit. I'm grateful it was repaired but I don't like the look.
It causes a weird look at the topstrap gap that looks like something is out of alignment and the odd look of the flutes just look like bad machining.
Here is a comparison shot ,,,,,, which one do you think looks better?
100_0813.jpg

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
I didn't realize this was the new " look ". I personally don't like it.
I've had both style cylinders on my SPs and don't have a preference. The new short cylinder flutes on the GP100s I don't like but I'm old and don't like change.:cautious:

KurtC

Single-Sixer
My revolvers use full moon clips, so I have no use for flutes. I prefer the smooth lines of unfluted cylinders.

I have a Wiley Clapp .357 with that…..must be a 'feature' and I guess it does help with reholstering
I have no doubt that it does, but I'd prefer they just round-over the front edge of the cylinder like Colt does on their Pythons, or better yet, chamfer the corners of the flutes like an old S&W. I think the curved tapered cylinder is just ugly.

Last edited:

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
"My revolvers use full moon clips, so I have no use for flutes. I prefer the smooth lines of unfluted cylinders."

What does the use of moon clips have to do with cylinder flutes?
I assumed he was referring to using the flutes to line up speedloaders so you don't have to look down

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
New Ruger DA's aren't what they used to be.

My 9mm SP101 has these bearings on the hammer with recesses milled out for them....a way to try to make the trigger pull better? I found them tonight while taking the gun apart to see why the firing pin was protruding out of the hole (had to unscrew the bushing to clean it out) . I removed the bushings , I don't need another point of failure or something that can jam the gun

The tapered cylinder is the least of my concerns

I hope QC gets better, I had wanted a new 3" .357 SP101 .......